I’m guessing an issue with computer/rtd

NinoRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Was just attempting to make chicken kabobs on my rt700 and temp is definitely not accurate and it is having massive swings atleast Thats what it is reading.
something that should be talking about 20min to cook just took an hour and came out crappy.
Anyone have this issue before?
have to call recteq but too late right now

Attachments

• 1DDCC97F-F85D-4D6F-9E6F-F5F8F73DC9AC.jpeg
    1DDCC97F-F85D-4D6F-9E6F-F5F8F73DC9AC.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 106
  • FAF0200A-786C-460D-A069-6CE8EE8A02AF.jpeg
    FAF0200A-786C-460D-A069-6CE8EE8A02AF.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 86
Possible issues could be frequent lid opening, a pellet quality issue, flame out due to minimal feed rate being too low for pellets used. it would be helpful to see the temperature chart to see an exact graph as to what's going on throughout your cook.

Check your feed rate. Default is 6.5. some have adjusted it down to 3, others have had to up it. Recteq has a video how to do this.

Feed rate only applies if the grill won't maintain a low temperature. Your image shows it set to 375F - which isn't low. I'd be surprised if feed rate was the issue.

Were you opening the lid during the cook? That will cause temperature fluctuations.

Possible issues could be frequent lid opening, a pellet quality issue, flame out due to minimal feed rate being too low for pellets used. it would be helpful to see the temperature chart to see an exact graph as to what's going on throughout your cook.
I want opening the lid much at all.
I’m going to put a different pellet in to check that out. Also even when i had the grill setup to test accuracy running for an hour with an oven thermometer the thermometer was always showing 10-20* difference

Check your feed rate. Default is 6.5. some have adjusted it down to 3, others have had to up it. Recteq has a video how to do this.
Feed rate was set at 3.0 default.
i put it up to 6.5 just so i can start out on what it was supposed to be

Last edited:
Feed rate only applies if the grill won't maintain a low temperature. Your image shows it set to 375F - which isn't low. I'd be surprised if feed rate was the issue.

Were you opening the lid during the cook? That will cause temperature fluctuations.
I wasnt opening the lid either.
So far I’ve tested probes and they were spot on with my thermoworks probes in an ice test.
tried to do a test with the 3 probes and oven thermometer for grill temp and that was all over too

I want opening the lid much at all.
I’m going to put a different pellet in to check that out. Also even when i had the grill setup to test accuracy running for an hour with an oven thermometer the thermometer was always showing 10-20* difference
10-20 is normal. Try the same test with your oven.

You are not the first person to say that the feed rate came at 30. Like others mentioned, feed rate affects low temps. Having said that....setting it to what is supposed to be the default is probably the best place to start from. 👍

Out of curiosity....what pellet brand did you use?

You are not the first person to say that the feed rate came at 30. Like others mentioned, feed rate affects low temps. Having said that....setting it to what is supposed to be the default is probably the best place to start from. 👍

The older controller is 3.0 and the newer controller 6.0.

Good to know. OP joined on Monday, so I assume people (like me) who recently ordered are getting the newer controller, correct?

Good to know. OP joined on Monday, so I assume people (like me) who recently ordered are getting the newer controller, correct?
Front mounted antenna is the newer controller.

It sounds like a pellet feeding problem ie: pellets bridging over the auger causing a lean condition and then when temp drops the controller moves more pellets to compensate.

I used bear mountain bbq pellets for first bag
I have a bag of pit boss pellets im going to try out this weekend.

It sounds like a pellet feeding problem ie: pellets bridging over the auger causing a lean condition and then when temp drops the controller moves more pellets to compensate.
I spoke with them yesterday and was told to just trust the grill and all that even though things i cooked were taking longer than they ever have with set temp On different grills. So i adjusted the offset to match the multiple thermometers i used. Now I’ll need to cook something like ribs where i know what it should take and how it should turn out and make any needed adjustments from there.
Grill needed to do -20 points match the oven thermometers. So as long as im not getting low temp flameouts i think it should do the trick.

10-20 is normal. Try the same test with your oven.
This isnt my oven so 10-20 isn’t acceptable to me and it was 50* off which is far from acceptable so hopefully the changes i made will help. I don’t mind having to do some fine tuning right now but i don’t want to have big issues

Mine is only a couple of weeks old and has front antenna but came 3.0 so changed it to what it is supposed to be 6.5
The latest FW rev that I'm aware of is 1.05 no idea if it has changed.

My RT-340 came set at 6 or 6.5, 2-1/2 years ago. RT replaced my controller last year with the one with an antenna, and it had a default setting of 3.0. I got my Bull a month or two ago, and it came at 3.0. Not sure what the current default really is, but it would be interesting if some are 6 and some are 3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back