Stampede Huge swings

Brian0527

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I’m really new to pellet grills but I’ve done 5-6 coats oks now on my 590 and this time the temp is making drastic swings in temp. I get an alert it’s overheating 50 or more then alert that it’s cooling down seconds later then back the other way. I am just leaving it alone but wonder why it’s suddenly doing this when it held perfect the last time I cooked the same thing. Driving me crazy. Thoughts/suggestions welcome for this Egg convert.

I had swings when my 410 was new. I called RT and they determined it was likely a pellet issue. It was a new bag of bear mountain I bought.
I removed all pellets, poured in a new bag of Troeger pellets and everything was then fine.
Good starting point maybe?

I’m really new to pellet grills but I’ve done 5-6 coats oks now on my 590 and this time the temp is making drastic swings in temp. I get an alert it’s overheating 50 or more then alert that it’s cooling down seconds later then back the other way. I am just leaving it alone but wonder why it’s suddenly doing this when it held perfect the last time I cooked the same thing. Driving me crazy. Thoughts/suggestions welcome for this Egg convert.
Had the same problem. Brian Kieth at Recteq worked me through a feed adjustment. Not perfect but much better. For me the issue was holding low temps for overnight brisket cooks.

I've had the same issues with my 340. Turns out if I let a little too much residue (ash, etc) build up in the burn chamber it will start doing that. Once I vacuumed out the excess it went right back to staying right on temp. Now that I keep it clean it works well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back