Howdy from Texas...trying to decide

bsunccgrd

Hi Everyone,

Trying to decide the right size RecTeq to get... There are 5 of us in our family and while I initially thought the 700 was what I needed, I measured my 14yo Holland gas grill and it's about the same size as the 340 and Its been my go-to for 14yrs. So wondering if the 340 would suite my family needs at least to break me into pellet grills? Appreciate the feedback.

I own the 340 and the 590. For your family size I honestly think the 590 is your better option.

The 340 is definitely small. The 590 fits the large griddle and still has space when just 3 grill grates are inserted and not other accessories.

I got the 340 for grilling small stuff and it worked out but if I needed to cook for more than my family I would use my 590.

I have the 340, it's okay for the 2 of us, but I'd suggest going bigger for you. Heck, you're in Texas, get the BFG.

I started out looking at the 340 - just 2 of us. Then decided on the 590. Wound up buying the 700. I like to cook for other family members and friends so I decided to go big. Love the 700.

There are 5 of us in the family here in Texas. We opted for the 700 with the smoker box. I could not justify the BFG but the 700 seemed like a great fit. This family loves to barbecue.

I'm only 2 and opted for the 700 because I plan (when Covid evaporates) to use mine often with friends for gatherings. Plus, I can smoke a big brisket and also veggies and other things at the same time if needed. Plus, often I'll put a ton of chicken breasts and thighs on the pit to use for the week. We'll take some and eat immediately then have a few pieces left for lunch for a few days of the week and many times, I make jambalaya, gumbo or chicken salad to have something different. The 700 is big but it isn't grossly large. I'm not sorry at all but if space, money and family size works, the 590 looks like it would work.

Also keep in mind when measuring the grill grates, due to the function of a pellet cooker, you do lose grill grate space on all sides of the grate. The drip pan does not go all the way to the edges of the grate to allow for the required airflow. Therefore the usable grill space is a bit smaller than the measured grate area.

If your current grill is about the size of the 340, then take a look into the 380 Bullseye. This thing does everything. I've even smoked a cheesecake on mine....and it came out really good. Family of 5, but oldest moved out and got herself hitched, and now they come for dinner too. So we're feeding 4 adults and 2 teens on the 380 and while it's getting filled up during cooking, it is not too small.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back