How to grill my turkey??

Sdyork

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
What’s the best way to cook up my Jenny-O turkey on my Bull?
Already brined so I don’t want to mess with that.
I need temperatures at the start and finish and how to season and everything else that goes along with getting that bird perfect.
This will be the first turkey I’ve done on my RT-700.
Any help would be much appreciated!

I've done several turkey breasts and whole turkeys using this simple cajun method and love it.
Hey Mike, looked back at your old Cajun method ( looks very good) but your reply here
The rough estimate would be around an 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.
Is that for the 3lb that was in question on that post? I have about a 7# breast and was figuring that to be about a 3-3 1/2 hr cook @325° . Usually spatch my turkeys which reallly cuts the time down. First on the pellet doing whole breast.

we've placed the whole turkey in an inverted rib rack in a foil pan - works great. This year we are going to spatchcock the turkey and place on a flat cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet. We love the smoky drippings to make red-eye gravy.

I might just add some type of seasoning to the butter. The weather now says it’s going to snow tonight so I’m not sure if I will smoke it.

I know this response is probably too late.but next you do one try a smoked fried turkey.
I smoke them at 225 for 4 hrs give a 20 to 30 min rest and then fry it. Checking every 5 min for doneness.
This method is amazing, 1) you get both the smoke and the fried flavors. 2) you get a skin that is actually edible. 3) you can have it ready on a very predictable time table.

Wow, a spatchcock turkey cooks fast... Too fast! This is a 17.5# bird, on the Bull at 350* I went to baste it with butter after 2 hours, and it is done, actually a little past done. I wanted to take it off at 160* in the breast and they are already at 163*.

Attachments

• F1E8A2B6-5C9E-4C5C-9DD8-0C66EA88CD4E.jpeg
    F1E8A2B6-5C9E-4C5C-9DD8-0C66EA88CD4E.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 67
Wow glad you posted. I have 23# one ready to go. I was thinking 90 minutes at 180 degrees and then move up to 350 to finish. I was probably overestimating my total time. I need to rethink. Luckily it is still 10am for me, so I can ponder.

Just finished a 5.25 spatchcocked breast @ 350, 2 hrs and 20 minutes. Darn thing was just under 8 lbs as packaged.

I did a whole turkey spatchcock style on the rec tec a few weeks ago. I started it on low to smoke a bit and used the smoke tubes. I think I only turned it up to like 325 after that. I injected and did some butter under the skin, I also left it on the grill grates not sure if that was good to do or not. It was pretty moist and the meat was good but the skin came out rubbery, did not like that. I read you need higher temps to get crispy skin. Anyone got any solutions for that? Next time I might crank up to high at the end not sure if that will get the skin crispy.

I did a breast @ 350, skin came out pretty crispy. I've read you can bump it up to as much as 400 for 30 minutes to crisp it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back