How to fix the warping deflector

ol' stonebreaker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
---that warping flame deflector. Mine had about 1/2" of warp so decided to do what RT should be doing. I just happened to have this flat bar I salvaged from a store display rack. A little overkill for thickness but it's what I had. I'll see well this holds up.

flame deflector 001 (Small).JPG

flame deflector 002 (Small).JPG

I just got a replacement for mine last week. It was pretty bad hitting the drip pan, even with the drip pan installed backwards. They have beefed these up since last year when I got mine.
Def1.jpg
Defl2.jpg

Pretty significant weight difference between the two. The new one is definitely thicker now.

A little bit concerning, I wish Rec Teq would address these issues, also the vents on the RT590 and RT340 grills.

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue is on the vents. They work just fine.

The deflector is a simple fix. That being said I don't think it affects the cooking any.

I got a new one exchanged for warranty and its has a slight warpage now, but not as bad. So I took my original one and found some SS tubing around work and brought it to my buddies shop. It is fixed now!!!!

Attachments

• sheild.jpg
    sheild.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 156
I got a new one exchanged for warranty and its has a slight warpage now, but not as bad. So I took my original one and found some SS tubing around work and brought it to my buddies shop. It is fixed now!!!!
Did your replacement feel heavier than the original? As I showed in the thread above I had almost a 1lb difference with the new one being heavier. I'm just wondering if I need to pull the warped one out of the trash and keep it just in case I need to modify it any if the new one goes bad on me.

No its seemed just like the original. The original one twisted/warped about 7/8ths an inch and lifted the drip pan. The replacement is warped about 1/2 inch so far after a dozen cooks or so. Now with the modified one I will see what happens

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back