How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

Attachments

• wheelmod_680.jpg
    wheelmod_680.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 223
I move my 680 around quite often so it only made sense to do the wheel modification. The directions here were spot on and easy to follow. I was able to find a 24" threaded axle at Home Depot. They were located in with the screws, bolts, nuts, etc. area. So I didn't have to cut a thing. What a difference. Thank you, Mike, for sharing your instructions. Smoke on my friends!

20200329_095004.jpg
20200329_095032.jpg
20200329_095036.jpg

I move my 680 around quite often so it only made sense to do the wheel modification. The directions here were spot on and easy to follow. I was able to find a 24" threaded axle at Home Depot. They were located in with the screws, bolts, nuts, etc. area. So I didn't have to cut a thing. What a difference. Thank you, Mike, for sharing your instructions. Smoke on my friends!

View attachment 2638View attachment 2639View attachment 2640
Looks great. Glad to help!

I didn't read all the way through this post either and acquired the axle and wheels to modify my Bull 700. The bearings fell out of the original casters. Mine is the newer model with the angled legs. If you are not mechanically inclined, the modification is a little challenging.

First you'll have to grind off the welds holding the wheel studs in the bottom of the tube steel legs. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and it worked fine. Once the studs are removed you will have one 1/2" hole on the outside of each leg. Reem those out to 5/8". Then comes the tricky part, I used a chalk line to align the holes from one leg to the other, then marked it with a piece of keel and a straight edge. My holes weren't perfect, but they were close enough all I had to do was thread the all thread through the four holes.

I'm waiting on my swivel casters to arrive so I'll post some pics once they arrive and I can finish.

Has anyone found any caster wheels in black that will match up with the recommended black 10" wheels, so it sits level?

Hey Rec Tec owners!

Do you have the new Rec Tec wide leg cart and have done a wheel mod? Then be sure to post your instructions in this thread - we want to see them!! :D

Hey I ordered all the stuff to do this. One thing I notice as of now is that the whole rectec 700 unit is very wobbly when moved back and forth. I dont see how just the wheels will fix this because it looks like there is movement on the legs up top where they connect to the smoker. So I was wondering if you guys still have movement on the legs after the wheel modification, and if so, is there a fix? Right now it feels like an unsteady pos.

Hey I ordered all the stuff to do this. One thing I notice as of now is that the whole rectec 700 unit is very wobbly when moved back and forth. I dont see how just the wheels will fix this because it looks like there is movement on the legs up top where they connect to the smoker. So I was wondering if you guys still have movement on the legs after the wheel modification, and if so, is there a fix? Right now it feels like an unsteady pos.
If the upper fasteners are tight you shouldn't have any movement where the legs connect to the smoker.

Gonna do this mod very soon, much better than $399 on the comp cart (even though the cart is pretty cool) I don't really need it and I like the shelf space underneath. This is exactly why I joined this forum and support it as a premium member. Lots of helpful folks, great tips and a lotta fun, well worth the money in my opinion!

Thanks for posting this Mike!

Gonna do this mod very soon, much better than $399 on the comp cart (even though the cart is pretty cool) I don't really need it and I like the shelf space underneath. This is exactly why I joined this forum and support it as a premium member. Lots of helpful folks, great tips and a lotta fun, well worth the money in my opinion!

Thanks for posting this Mike!
You will love it, it's a great mod but I took it a little father with the tool box mod. (y) (y) (y)

Last edited:
One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:

How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
View attachment 20

Back wheel all-thread axle:
View attachment 19

Back wheel up close:
View attachment 21

Full back axle:
View attachment 23

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)

Attachments

• E0BE81CE-AB97-4544-9AD1-2F3DAFB2F877.jpeg
    E0BE81CE-AB97-4544-9AD1-2F3DAFB2F877.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 54688CF9-4C12-4428-B895-ADEC7209E56D.jpeg
    54688CF9-4C12-4428-B895-ADEC7209E56D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 146
  • BDE0E6DF-3840-43C1-98FA-DD3092843DA5.jpeg
    BDE0E6DF-3840-43C1-98FA-DD3092843DA5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
Tipping the Bull is very easy. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my deck (which will be the home of my Bull) so I'm keeping it in the garage. Even on the concrete floor I tipped mine over while I was moving it, luckily I managed to catch it before I fell over.

After the wheel mod, it's been a HUGE improvement over stock. Plus one of my stock casters already developed a flat spot which made for annoying noises while I moved the Bull.

BTW, I've updated the first post with pictures finally. Sorry for the delay, been working on that back deck and then my HVAC unit when out this week as well so it's been crazy here.
Comp cart is awesome and well worth it!
I debated for a long time before I ordered it with the grill but I’m glad I did!

Attachments

• F03A088F-1415-4E55-A6D4-B0167C4A26E8.jpeg
    F03A088F-1415-4E55-A6D4-B0167C4A26E8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 287
You will love it, it's a great mod but I took it a little father with the tool box mod. (y) (y) (y)
I made this out of the standard legs. A great place for sitting around and putting my beer down, plus still keep the storage.

I made this out of the standard legs. A great place for sitting around and putting my beer down, plus still keep the storage.

Attachments

• 96E128E0-80EA-4E0B-906D-C6C39E1242B3.jpeg
    96E128E0-80EA-4E0B-906D-C6C39E1242B3.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 189
Same comment that is posted earlier - the original thread was for the 680 and I stupidly thought it was for the 700... I have been having some issues with my current wheels from getting into and out of my garage and went for it... Didn't work out, cart is now on blocks like the wheels were stolen and I'll be out of commission for a bit as I wait for more parts to do some cutting...

Don't be like me and read through the whole thread before you start... If you are having issues with the standard wheel setup, call customer service first before going to this mod (if that's the only reason you are doing it). Customer support really stepped up, even though I made the situation worse, and I am on the road to recovery.

@Bmseay, you may be new enough to the 700 that you're unaware that those suggested wheel mods also applied to the 700 in it's earlier configuration. IIRC the splayed legs now on the 700 came into being as a rolling upgrade somewhere around the end of 2019 or early 2020.

@Bmseay, you may be new enough to the 700 that you're unaware that those suggested wheel mods also applied to the 700 in it's earlier configuration. IIRC the splayed legs now on the 700 came into being as a rolling upgrade somewhere around the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Uncle Bob, I was completely unaware, but it's awesome that the level of knowledge of this group goes to that depth.

My Comp Cart was delivered today, so I'll be shifting it over this weekend. I do plan to move forward with the wheel mod, but know it will be significantly easier with it removed from the grill, so that I can use my drill press.

Same as @Bmseay. OP, can you make an edit to the first post and let people know this won't work on newer 700s? Didn't realize it wouldn't work until I put my grill on its side and went "huh, that's interesting..."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back