Bull How many packers and butts at the same time RT-700

smovider

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Apparently 6 butts simultaneously, but how many Packers and or how many butts with one packer? I mean is it possible to do 1 packer and 2 butts at the same time? If so, how much more with the RT-1250?

Apparently 6 butts simultaneously, but how many Packers and or how many butts with one packer? I mean is it possible to do 1 packer and 2 butts at the same time? If so, how much more with the RT-1250?
There’s charts on recteq for each grill telling you how much fits. That’s how I picked my grill, according to the capacity graphics.

The problem with briskets is that a “packer” can range from as small as 8-9 pounds to 20+ pounds. Most fall in the 10-18 pound range in my experience. And, while “butts” are usually smaller than briskets, they can vary in size as well.

That makes it difficult to predict how many “packers” and/or “butts” will fit on your 700 simultaneously.

Fair enough...

Just trying to justify the 700 vs the 1250. Am I going to regret going with saving money on the 700? I understand the feature difference, IE shelf(s) internal and external, but at the end of the day it is an added tool to the backyard cooking. I currently have the 380 for hi temp stuff, a Masterbuilt 1050 for the times I have simultaneuously cooked brisket, ribs and pork butt/shoulder. The 3 shelves is handy. However, it seems like I need a medium sized smoker where I might do 2 packers or 1 packer and maybe ribs or shoulder. Anything more than that would go into the MB.

Also the other thing this RecTeq would be solving is the ability to get some cooks on during the colder times of the year where my Masterbuilt might struggle.

The 700 and the 1250 are basically the same except for the added rack and front shelf on the 1250. You can easily add a rack to the 700 and make your own shelf.

Here’s what a couple of 15ish pound packers on the 700 looks like. I usually only do one and I put it on an extra rack to raise it up from the heat source a little more. The 1250 didn’t exist when I bought mine or that’s what I would have bought. Especially with the 15% off they have right now.
IMG_4653.jpeg

Just get the 1250 and be done with it all.....
That would be my thought as well. I have the large recteq interior shelf for my 700, and in nearly four years I have perhaps used it 4 times. Now that I have the Yoder and its top shelf, which operates much like the 1250 top shelf, I use it on about every cook.

edited to add: the Yoder comes with a full-size top shelf and it does get in the way of accessing food on the lower shelf. I bought the Yoder half-shelf for the top, and that is the shelf I use nearly every cook. @Mozekian mentioned the challenges of a full-size shelf in another thread, and after I read that I thouget it would be helpful to add some context to this post.

Last edited:
  1. What are you using for a heavier diffuser?
  2. Get a second larger rack?
  3. I was trying to see the location of the extra 110 outlet, where is that?
I think the larger accessory rack might work better than the PitBoss 1000 I used to have. It was useless for briskets on the second rack, and for pork butts it was not enough room. I could put flat wire racks of fish and pork ribs, but not beef shorts.

With the sale, I could also get a large rack and still be under the cost of the 1250 despite the 1250's extra features.

This is what I use now. If you get a huge packer it might be too small but a couple of them would work. It’s a nice heavy duty rack. An aluminum drip pan fits underneath.

This is what I use now. If you get a huge packer it might be too small but a couple of them would work. It’s a nice heavy duty rack. An aluminum drip pan fits underneath.
So 2 of these 16.5 side by side and the 18 deep will fit in the 700? If it is 1" tall what pans are you using for drip? Is that enough for water as well?

So 2 of these 16.5 side by side and the 18 deep will fit in the 700? If it is 1" tall what pans are you using for drip? Is that enough for water as well?
Make sure 2 of those side-by-side will fit in the 700. The 700 has that pesky interior light that can get in the way of a shelf.

Make sure 2 of those side-by-side will fit in the 700. The 700 has that pesky interior light that can get in the way of a shelf.
and it looks like the 1250 does not have a light. If it is possible to get enough clearance for a pan and 2 packers on a shelf, the 700 or 1250 would work. and it depends on the size of packer. 1 packer super easy, It would be possible to do 2 packers up to 12-13lbs each, I think. Depending on finished trimmed length.

Can someone tell me how much room there is between the diffuser and rack? what size water drip pan would fit there?

First of all I have to apologize for linking the wrong rack. This is the rack I use (I think). When I look at the dimensions on the website they are smaller than what I actually have but it is the item Ama$on tells me I bought. I can’t be sure they haven’t changed it since I bought it. My son “borrowed” my second rack but as you can see two will fit across the grill.
IMG_6161.jpeg
IMG_6163.jpeg
IMG_6164.jpeg
IMG_6162.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back