How Long is too Long to Leave Briskett in the Cooler?

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I wrapped my briskett in towels and put it in a cooler at 11am. Can I leave it there until 6pm before I slice it?

I wrapped my briskett in towels and put it in a cooler at 11am. Can I leave it there until 6pm before I slice it?
For that length of time, I would put the brisket (wrapped in butcher paper or foil) in the oven set to Warm or the lowest temperature possible. I have held brisket in a cooler for up to 4 hours with no problem; but you are looking at 7 hours.

1656359021934.png

All,
Thanks for the replies! Since I was already at the 4 hour mark, I went ahead and sliced it up and put it the fridge. I will portion it out and vacuum seal it tonight after dinner.

All,
Thanks for the replies! Since I was already at the 4 hour mark, I went ahead and sliced it up and put it the fridge. I will portion it out and vacuum seal it tonight after dinner.
You can reheat individual portions by sealing them in a ZipLoc bag (with most of the air pressed out before sealing) and placing them in a pot of water that has come up to boiling and then been shut off. About 15 minutes in the water should bring the slices up to a nice eating temp without further cooking them. Enjoy your brisket.

Last edited:
You can reheat individual portions by sealing them in a ZipLoc bag (with most of the air pressed out before sealing) and placing them in a pot of water that has come up to boiling and then shut off. About 15 minutes in the water should bring the slices up to a nice eating temp without further cooking them. Enjoy your brisket.
Yes, I plan to use this technique for the vacuum sealed packets in the future. But, I didn’t think about using ziplocks for the ones tonight. Thanks!

For that length of time, I would put the brisket (wrapped in butcher paper or foil) in the oven set to Warm or the lowest temperature possible. I have held brisket in a cooler for up to 4 hours with no problem; but you are looking at 7 hours.
Jim6820 nailed it. I don’t think time is as critical as temperature. Depending on the humidity and time under 150 degrees, bacteria may form. Another consideration is the rub/injection you use. If it contains un-clarified butter (i.e., butter with milk fats present) you could have an interesting surprise waiting for you when you cut the brisket. Be careful. No one wants Montezuma’s revenge served on a plate with brisket.

Some say you should preheat your Cooler with hot Water prior to putting your Brisket in it

According to Jeremy Yoder (Mad Scientist BBQ), 8 to 12 hours is the window for a proper Rest

And Smokin' Joe (Smokin" Joe's BBQ) found 10 is good

Last edited:
All,
Heat them in the vacuum sealed bag in boiling water. Works great. And I find that the smoke flavor intensifies. You can also freeze for later use, and they taste fresh as if cooked that dfay. It is a great way to make Q for a party.

I wrap in butcher paper, use a boiling pot of water on a towel to warm up the cooler then leave the meat in the cooler with a maverick tempprobe in it and I watch the temp come down. Without opening the cooler. Yesterday I pulled a brisket at 195 and put it in a cooler at 10am. 3 hours later it was still in the upper 160s so then I took it out and rested another hour until it was in the upper 140s to slice. So I say as long as the temp is up, you can keep it in the cooler at least 5 hours my guess until the meat cools too low. Im known for pulling pork butts off at 200-203 and resting as above in the cooler from 10am to 5 pm to eat. It’s usually in the upper 140s after the 7 hour rest. Brisket may be a bit different but I had no issues with 3 hours in a cooler plus rapid cool for an hour outside the cooler the other day. My math projects I could have left it in the cooler two more hours if I needed wait on the slicing but I was ready to eat sooner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back