Bullseye How Do You Clean Your Porcelain Coated Cooking Grate?

charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Fellow RT forum members, can you post how you clean your Bullseye ceramic coated grill? I am sadden to say, I burned up my brand shinny new ceramic coated nylon brush grill scraper after my first Bullseye cooking because I didn't follow the instructions. Grill was way too hot and I melted the nylon bristles. It was a horrible site. I was so ashamed I threw the grill scrapper away and didn't take any pics. Thanks to all that respond.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the Bullseye; what material(s) are ceramic? I use a Char-Broil nylon brush on other outdoor cookers and simply use it after a slight cool-down.

I'm curious about the Bullseye; what material(s) are ceramic? I use a Char-Broil nylon brush on other outdoor cookers and simply use it after a slight cool-down.
Thanks @bfletcher. I met Porcelain coated grill. @Mike can you correct thread title to read How Do You Clean Your Porcelain Coated Grate? Edited

Last edited:
You can edit the title of any thread that you created. Just go to the first post, hit the edit button, and the title field is also available to edit.
Thanks @Greg Jones. I didn't know you could do that. Got her changed. Maybe now I will get more replies. Not much so far.

Thank you @bfletcher for your response on the Char-Broil nylon brush that you use. Do you think the stainless steel bristle free brush would mess up the porcelain?

Ceramic is almost as hard as steel so I doubt a steel brush OR a stainless steel pot scrubber could harm it. When I bought my used traeger I carefully used the 3" cup brush on my grinder. I don't think it had been cleaned from day one.

Ceramic is almost as hard as steel so I doubt a steel brush OR a stainless steel pot scrubber could harm it. When I bought my used traeger I carefully used the 3" cup brush on my grinder. I don't think it had been cleaned from day one.
I think next time I am going to use my SS no bristles brush. It sure was nice taking her up to riot mode and every thing came off the grill real easy with the brush. And also the flame deflector cleaned up nice too. Love it.

I would agree that ceramic is durable, it can resist temperatures up to 1200 degrees normally, but I would also remind that it is a bonded coating and as such isn't going to be quite as long lived and durable as a solid piece of stainless steel. Likewise, not all grates claimed/identified as stainless are equal as some are stainless steel cladding over carbon steel (though you have to usually do some research to discover that). Porcelain coated grates can take a lot of use results, but can also deteriorate over time. Knowing that I try to avoid aggressive mechanical cleaning methods. I usually take my grates to the fiberglass deep well utility sink and wet them down, cover with some damp paper towels and let them soften up the gunk for awhile. Then go at them with a scotchbrite pad and nylon/plastic stiff bristle brush. They usually clean up well. If I've cooked something that drops a heavy load of gunk on the grate then I will use some chemical assistance. I get a product at Sam's club that is intended for commercial kitchen clean up of cooking equipment. It usually makes short work of the gunk removal as long as I keep it damp. Bar Keepers Friend would be another chemical alternative as the oxalic acid in it is very effective, and is otherwise only mildly abrasive.

I would agree that ceramic is durable, it can resist temperatures up to 1200 degrees normally, but I would also remind that it is a bonded coating and as such isn't going to be quite as long lived and durable as a solid piece of stainless steel. Likewise, not all grates claimed/identified as stainless are equal as some are stainless steel cladding over carbon steel (though you have to usually do some research to discover that). Porcelain coated grates can take a lot of use results, but can also deteriorate over time. Knowing that I try to avoid aggressive mechanical cleaning methods. I usually take my grates to the fiberglass deep well utility sink and wet them down, cover with some damp paper towels and let them soften up the gunk for awhile. Then go at them with a scotchbrite pad and nylon/plastic stiff bristle brush. They usually clean up well. If I've cooked something that drops a heavy load of gunk on the grate then I will use some chemical assistance. I get a product at Sam's club that is intended for commercial kitchen clean up of cooking equipment. It usually makes short work of the gunk removal as long as I keep it damp. Bar Keepers Friend would be another chemical alternative as the oxalic acid in it is very effective, and is otherwise only mildly abrasive.
Thanks @Uncle Bob, good info. I really want to clean the cooking grate when done cooking and be done with it. The riot mode did a nice job burning up everything and when I brushed it things came off nicely until my brush melted to death. I am going to use my SS bristle free brush next time real lightly and see how that does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back