How do I cook a boneless Pork Ribeye Roast ?

Keleent

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
Completely new to cooking and smoking ... never done something like this.

How can i smoke this? Should I set the rectec to 180 (extreme smoke) for an hour or until internal temp of 145? Then use the sear grates for x many minutes each side? I don't know what I'm doing :p

I'd really appreciate detailed instructions ! Thank you for your time!

rib.jpg

I think you have the right idea....
I'd coat the outside with your favorite rub and let it sit for a day in the fridge.
Definitely give it an hour at 180° or extreme smoke. Then,
.. I'd smoke it to 145°, remove and cover them. then crank up the grill to 500° (or close) with the sear grates inside. Sear the roast 2-3 minutes each side depending on your desired temp of "done for you"...
Pull ,cover, let rest about 15-20 mins. Cut it against the grain*.... You don't have a "big" roast so just monitor that inside temp ...goodluck post your finished product !!

Last edited:
Since it's pork I'd definitely cook it to 145 minimum. That's not a cut I've cooked before, so I can't say if it should go higher.
You're right. All I saw was " Ribeye" and got Smoker Sexcited.... Sorry about that I'll edit mine... Doh !!!

Someone else correct me if I’m wrong but I think it also depends on what “end result” you are looking for with pork. Pulled pork cooks til about 203 internal and a “slicing-style” roast at about 145.

In a pulled case I I injected some apple juice and generously rubbed some Bone Suckin Sauce Rub and then smoked right on grates at 225 til reaching about 165 internal. I also had about a half to three quarters cup of apple juice in a disposable pan on the grates (I don’t know...seemed like a good idea) Once reaching 165 I pulled the roast and wrapped in aluminum foil with the apple juice from the pan. Rinsed the pan and put the wrapped meat back on smoker til internal 203. Let it rest just til wife got home (bout 20 mins) and and took it out of the wrap and put it back in the pan to shred. I added my apple juice mixture from the aluminum foil into the meat as I was shredding it to keep it at the moisture level I wanted and served. If someone wanted to add some BBQ sauce...be my guest but I thought it was outstanding the way it was.
If you want it to cook a bit faster increase to temp to 250 after wrapped. I like the low temps originally to get some good smoke flavor. Once wrapped it don’t much matter.
Havent done a slicing style roast yet.

Keleent,
I like a bit of this and that of what's been proposed.

Some of the tender cuts of pork can be a bit plain and lack fat (you can use few pats of butter, or just a couple tablespoons of crisco). I'd inject with mixture of pork broth and savory rub. If you want to go a little more exotic, add soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and sugar (base for teriaki). There's also a Hawaiian sauce called Huli Huli sauce you can pick up on Amazon. It is a thin sauce with a mild soy-salt-sugar flavor. It's a favorite of ours for marinating chicken and pork.

Your suggestion of low heat, with more smoke is my favorite way to put smoke into meat. I'd definitely go with a mild flavor wood. Apple being at the top of my list, But any of the fruit woods is good. I'd avoid mesquite, hickory, oak, etc.

I'm a "front sear" kind of guy. Just my way. I take a meat like this and put it in the freezer for about 30-45 mins to get it really cold, then sear it first on a really hot grill (I'm partial to a charcoal fire, but a gas grill cranked up works for me too). The cold meat won't cook below the surface much. I put it back in the freezer after searing to cool it again. Meanwhile I get the smoker running at LO/180F. After 15-30 mins, I put the meat on the smoker and run for a couple hours at 180F, then bump it up in the low 200s (215F-225F) to finish the internal temp as desired (130f for beef, 145F for pork).

So you really dont want to use that for pulled pork and dont worry about what you should do. Just cook it and learn but dont do to much at once. Depending on the rub you use you could develop a good bark that you dont want to mess with. The next question would be how much smoke do you like? If you dont know then just cook and not worry so much about smoke setting. That particular cut is pretty forgiving so you can cook it lower or a bit higher and still have great results. Also over time you will learn what temp works for you. Since unsure yes go to 145 but over time you will learn you can go quite a bit less than that based on what your shooting to accomplish with the cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back