Other How do I convert this into a smoked chili recipe

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
This is a really good basic chili recipe. As it is, it could probably be served for lunch at the local nursing home. But I tweak it quite a bit. In fact, I think it was designed to be tweaked. I usually cut a steak into chunks. You can use beef or game or whatever you have in the freezer. If I am making it for myself I load it with hot peppers, but you can go anywhere in between if your spouse won't tolerate a little heat. If someone wants to give it a try, assuming the photos are legible, that dose of Cocoa powder is really important. Also, lots of folks say that they add the beans in the beginning. Well, they just get really really soft. But maybe some people like it that way. I'm just wondering if there's any reason I couldn't smoke this at a low temperature, say 180 to 200?

20221015_115808.jpg

20221015_115835.jpg

I found this recipe late last year before my 590 was ordered. It's a dynamite recipe in a crock pot. Making it again this week to celebrate our first earnest freeze warning.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OR, you can chop it up, lay the Meat out on a Cook Mat and smoke it for an hour or so on "LO"
Momma likes to use a Roast I've smoke for Her (or leftover Brisket) diced-up into small pieces

This is a really good basic chili recipe. As it is, it could probably be served for lunch at the local nursing home. But I tweak it quite a bit. In fact, I think it was designed to be tweaked. I usually cut a steak into chunks. You can use beef or game or whatever you have in the freezer. If I am making it for myself I load it with hot peppers, but you can go anywhere in between if your spouse won't tolerate a little heat. If someone wants to give it a try, assuming the photos are legible, that dose of Cocoa powder is really important. Also, lots of folks say that they add the beans in the beginning. Well, they just get really really soft. But maybe some people like it that way. I'm just wondering if there's any reason I couldn't smoke this at a low temperature, say 180 to 200?

View attachment 17757

View attachment 17758
Wonder what the cocoa powder does for the taste?

The cocoa powder adds a depth of flavor. It’s been a mainstay in my chili since I tried it for the first time many years ago
I agree. I've experimented with cocoa powder to try to bring the "mole style" richness to chili or enchilada recipes, particularly when I'm repurposing things like chicken. I haven't tried with brisket chili, but it's an idea. I've certainly tried other seemingly weird ingredients...with mixed results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back