How close to house is safe?

Fsa317

My backyard setup is a bit limiting. How close to a house with vinyl siding would be unsafe for the rec-teq 700? I know the hopper is along the back so I'm wondering how hot that could possible get? I am primarily going to be doing low and slow smoking on it. Is there something I could put and between the smoker and the house to reduce risk?

My backyard setup is a bit limiting. How close to a house with vinyl siding would be unsafe for the rec-teq 700? I know the hopper is along the back so I'm wondering how hot that could possible get? I am primarily going to be doing low and slow smoking on it. Is there something I could put and between the smoker and the house to reduce risk?
I was planning on spacing mine about a foot away from the house.

recteq states 60 inches in the manual on page 3.
BULL MANUAL 2018 1 30 18.pages (recteqforum.com)

If you ever plan on leaving it unattended, you might consider the worst case scenario, where you get a pellet hopper fire.

If you ever plan on leaving it unattended, you might consider the worst case scenario, where you get a pellet hopper fire.
Yea, that is what I'm concerned about. It's got me questioning a pellet grill.

I was also thinking of making like a brick spacer behind the grill and the wall.

Yea, that is what I'm concerned about. It's got me questioning a pellet grill.

I was also thinking of making like a brick spacer behind the grill and the wall.
Concrete board may be an option?

The back of the hopper to the siding of the house is 11" in my set-up. It has been that way for years without a problem. I had not thought about a hopper fire until now though.
A hopper fire although uncommon on the recteq grills can happen I would be more worried about a out of control grease fire when close to a house. A grease fire can happen with any grill and with any type of fuel that is used for cooking.

Last edited:
Grease, or pellet fire, is a possibility. However, wouldn't it remain contained inside the pit, with some flames coming out the vents? I always have my vents directed away from my house for that reason. When I first began using my RT, it was several feet away from my sliding glass doors, but a few months of using it I noticed a tar like residue on the window. Several feet away, I wouldn't have thought about that.

Grease, or pellet fire, is a possibility. However, wouldn't it remain contained inside the pit, with some flames coming out the vents? I always have my vents directed away from my house for that reason. When I first began using my RT, it was several feet away from my sliding glass doors, but a few months of using it I noticed a tar like residue on the window. Several feet away, I wouldn't have thought about that.
Not necessarily, any of this is extra heat inside the pit and expanding to the outside of the pit could cause a fire if it gets out of control when close to a combustible area.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but this is what happened to my grill.

traeger.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back