How can you find the right place to probe after wrap?

SeattleDon

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have a helluva tough time finding just the right spot to stick the probe after I've wrapped up the brisket (in foil or paper) - any secrets? Also, worried that I stuck it too far in. (there's a joke here...)

A follow up question now that I've got your attention - my last brisket was good, but the flat was dry. It was probe tender at 202F, but a little overdone. I did 225F til the stall, then up to 250-275 to finish (gradually raising because I was running out of time).
I read this at a site called BBQHost:
"The temperature at doneness varies depending on how hot you cook it. If you cook it at 225 F, it will reach the right doneness at 190 F. If you cook it at 275 to 330 F, it will get to the right tenderness at closer to 205 F. Smoked brisket continues to cook after you take it off the heat, so remove it at 5 degrees below the desired temperature."

I hadn't heard that before - do you folks agree?
Thanks a bunch!
Don

Last edited:
I don't really agree. I always go off the flat probing around 203. I will just do the probe tenderness test all over the brisket. I think my last brisket I accidently went up to 213 in the flat but it was fine. I wrap in butcher paper and when I take off, I usually wrap in foil over the paper to take where I'm taking it. If I was going to eat at home, I would just let the brisket sit out in the butcher paper on a plate for at least an hour.

I think the only brisket I ever had kind of dry was when I did 50/50 salt pepper and I did not wrap. I think no matter what cooker you use, wrapping is key. I've even wrapp when the internal was in the 180's because I didn't wake up from my sleep but still turned out fine.

This probably doesn't help but hopefully something I said does.

Thanks kstone - how do you deal with being accurate with where to stick the probe when the whole thing is wrapped in layers of paper?

Did the flat fall apart when you sliced it? Did you probe the flat or the point?

As far as the probe, you want to put the probe in the thickest part of the flat. Before I wrap I make a mental note of how thick it is. If it’s about 2” then I hold the probe about 1-1/2” from the end and insert it at an angle until my fingers are at the paper. That should get you close enough.

i always leave my probe in while wrapping and just foil around it. but i always check actually temp with my handheld while probing. im definitely no expert though, i just try not to burn the meat

I believe these folks may have the answers to your probing questions:

1631141005918.jpeg

I use my instant read to find the lowest temp in the thickest part. Eyeball the angle of the probe, use thumb to mark depth on the instant read. Try to copy while placing the RT probe, or whatever brand you are using. I do end up with a few holes in the foil but seems to me it's no worse then trying to wrap the foil around the probe if you place it before closing the foil.

This gets me in the ball park, I use the temp to indicate when to unwrap and probe it for tender.

Yeah, once wrapped, just eyeball it. Like others, I make a mental note of where the probe needs to be.

As far as temps..... regardless if it is cooked at 225, 275, 300..... it ain't done until you hit 203. How you get there is your business.

I always target 203, FTC it for 3 hours, slice and eat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back