how can i cook a well done steak thats good?

I grew up on well done meats.. I think that was my parents generation of thinking. Pork was even worse for them when it came to overcooking.

Not really knowing better, it took a good part of my adult life to try a more medium to medium-rare cook when it came to steaks. My wife was similar and once I started to realize we were ruining our meats I did it over time and now we both are in alignment. Up until recently she would even still look at me when eating out and when they asked how to cook it I would just pipe up and say medium. Cause eating out a lot of places if you tell them well done it is a hockey puck.

Maybe it is not the older generation but it is my perception growing up.. I'm sure others were on the opposite side so maybe see it the other way. I guess it has to at least be in what my own upbringing was at the time. My father to this day still says he don't want his cooked still mooing.

Anyway.. the short story is we are fully converted and thank goodness we have seen the light :).. I enjoy a good steak way more today than I ever did.

I wish I could help how to get the older generation to accept this.. afraid it might be too late and just do what is asked even if you don't agree. Everyone has their reasons and afraid it is not something that can change that quickly.

Last edited:
I grew up on well done meats.. I think that was my parents generation of thinking. Pork was even worse for them when it came to overcooking.

Not really knowing better, it took a good part of my adult life to try a more medium to medium-rare cook when it came to steaks. My wife was similar and once I started to realize we were ruining our meats I did it over time and now we both are in alignment. Up until recently she would even still look at me when eating out and when they asked how to cook it I would just pipe up and say medium. Cause eating out a lot of places if you tell them well done it is a hockey puck.

Maybe it is not the older generation but it is my perception growing up.. I'm sure others were on the opposite side so maybe see it the other way. I guess it has to at least be in what my own upbringing was at the time. My father to this day still says he don't want his cooked still mooing.

Anyway.. the short story is we are fully converted and thank goodness we have seen the light :).. I enjoy a good steak way more today than I ever did.

I wish I could help how to get the older generation to accept this.. afraid it might be too late and just do what is asked even if you don't agree. Everyone has their reasons and afraid it is not something that can change that quickly.
Same here on the meats our parents cooked, my moms pork chops you could use them for a jack stand for you car when stacked on each other. We not at the cut the horns off wipe its ass and throw it on a plate but like meats cooked to a medium rare or medium at best depending on what it is.

If you go to a good NYC steakhouse like Sparks or Peter Luger and order well done. They will give you the worst cut they have. They're not going to waste a dry-aged well marbled cut to make it into dry leather.

That Sucks The Office GIF

@chadinsc I would recommend looking up coating the steak I Mayo to either grill it or sear it. It creates a Maillard reaction and helps seal in the juices. You can also add spices to your mayo ( I usually just do SPG)

If you go to a good NYC steakhouse like Sparks or Peter Luger and order well done. They will give you the worst cut they have. They're not going to waste a dry-aged well marbled cut to make it into dry leather.

Seems like that would be a disrespectful ripoff and probably illegal if they didn't give you the cut you order and pay north of $50 for. Sounds really bad for business too, considering how many people like well-done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back