Trailblazer How big a turkey on your Trailblazer

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I see OldBull did a 13.1 lb'er today in 5 hrs @ 265, and I did an after prep weight 5.25 lb spatchcocked breast in just under 2.5 hrs @ 350. How about the rest of you folks?

I did a 14# spatchcocked last weekend. Did first hour at 180 for smoke then cranked to 350 for about 2 hours.
Don't know if you can go much bigger with that method.

Attachments

• IMG_8635.jpg
    IMG_8635.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8636.jpg
    IMG_8636.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 76
I cooked just for my wife and myself. We got a butterball 4.75# turkey breast at Publix. Had some misgivings with using a BB cut, but it turned out very good. Left the skin on, rinsed and patted dry the breast and used a buttermilk/salt brine for about 36 hours, turning the bag over 10-12 hours. Rinsed off the brine, did a light dry rub of salt, pepper and paprika. Smoked on low for an hour, bird temp was about 130F, turned the heat up to 275F and cooked until 160-165. During the time the breast was upright, cavity down - fine balancing act. Removed the bird, cranked the heat and did a reverse seat for 5 minutes each side. Wow, simply delicious and moist. I live in Florida so no lack of humidity and no need for a water pan. Will try something like this for a spatchcocked bird next time- I miss dark meat.

16 pounder. I removed the grill grates to get the necessary vertical clearance and put the turkey in a disposable aluminum cook pan. It turned out amazing. Dont underestimate the 340!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back