Stampede Hopper Vibrator

Drake

I’ve had issues with a hole developing over the top of the auger in the pellets in the pellet hopper and wondering if anybody’s ever rigged up some sort of vibrator for the hopper to try and keep the pellets flowing? There is probably a 2-3 lb still in the hopper which @225 is hours of smoke. I try not to over fill since I just have to empty it to change woods.

If you search on pellet grill vibrator you’ll get some ideas. I like the one where the person bought a cheap plastic electric clip on fan and broke half of one blade off, says it works. Hopefully there is no degree needed.

I’ve had issues with a hole developing over the top of the auger in the pellets in the pellet hopper and wondering if anybody’s ever rigged up some sort of vibrator for the hopper to try and keep the pellets flowing? There is probably a 2-3 lb still in the hopper which @225 is hours of smoke. I try not to over fill since I just have to empty it to change woods.
I've never had a hole over the auger where the pellets didn't feed. If I'm doing an overnight cook, I fill the hopper. I've never had the desire to change pellet wood type since there's very little if any difference in the end results with different woods, with the exception of unique ones like mesquite or something and if I really every wanted to change them, I'd just let it run low, them add the different flavor on top.
Tip: I put automotive paint ceramic coat on the walls of the hopper and the pellets just slide down easily, if not, open hopper, visual check and push them down with your hand if needed. I mound the pellets toward the cookbox side of the hopper.

Do you still have the auger finger guard in place, if so, that can inhibit proper pellet flow.

PS Your wife isn't going to be happy if you take her toy ;)

You could always take a palm sander remove the sandpaper and attach it to the side of the hopper. Another option is to raid your significant other’s toy box, hehe. Just sayin’

I now need to clear my browsing history. :cautious:
There are dispensers for hops (for beer making) which are not that much different than our pellets. I think I'm done searching though.
I know right. I saw the title and thought to myself, "what is @C. Keeper up to now!" :ROFLMAO:

If you have a mechanical engineer degree and a lot of free time, you can follow this video. Looks like it would work really well.

That's actually pretty impressive. Maybe it's the bigger size, but I've not really noticed this to be that big of an issue for me on my RT-700. I do like this guy's thinking, though.

Not sure that makes much sense, as gravity is gravity? The pellets I use are not uniform at all, and have zero issues with hopper feeding to auger.
recteq has confirmed that longer pellets can create problems with bridging. It’s nothing to do with gravity-they create a beaver dam style bridge if that helps explain.

I absolutely experienced this with my 380 and my 340. My 700 digested these pellets with no problem. Not to throw the pellet manufacturer under the bus, but these were charcoal pellets from a well known manufacturer.
B6CC360B-6A29-411A-B6AC-EDDBB6B18755.jpeg

BTW, recteq’s recommendation is to drop any bags of pellets like this onto pavement 2-3 times to help break them up. Before opening the bag, of course!

So 700 is the new minimum recommendation when someone comes here asking which model to buy.
They all have different strong/limitation points The 700+ temps on the grills today make the 380/X series somewhat at a disadvantage. And, while no experience with the 590/1070 family, but otherwise, yes. For more than just a long pellet issue. Although IF I were to buy a new recteq today, the 1070 would be the starting point in my decision-making process. All good choices, but I’d change pellet brands before I would let that factor in the decision on which grill to buy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back