Hopper fire

Tim Braniff

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I shut down my 680 after a higher heat cook without bringing the temp first. It smoked all night and I had a fire in the hopper the next day.
I hosed it down and it seems OK now. I have owned this grill since 2014 and never had this happen before.
Has any one else seen this?

What temp were you cooking at? I was cooking at 400F this weekend and after shutdown it kept smoldering. It was also pretty windy, so I'm sure there was extra airflow stoking any remaining embers. Wound up turning it back on at LO temp for a bit to have the fan keep going while cooling down.

What temp were you cooking at? I was cooking at 400F this weekend and after shutdown it kept smoldering. It was also pretty windy, so I'm sure there was extra airflow stoking any remaining embers. Wound up turning it back on at LO temp for a bit to have the fan keep going while cooling down.
I was cooking at 450* with searing plates. Attached is what I found the next day. After the hopper lid was opened it flamed up.

Attachments

• Hopper fire 2020.jpg
    Hopper fire 2020.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 221
Yikes! Looks like it smoldered right up the auger tube. Kinda what I was scared of on Sunday. Saw a few wisps of smoke about 15 mins after shutdown and got heaver when I opened the lid to check.

You're lucky it didn't burn bigger overnight. Especially if you store in a structure or next to one. Will you contact RT? I'd be curious about their response.

Looks like you also have the winter blanket on it..I wonder if that was a factor?....what was the outside temp? I think we were talking about this the other day. I usually open the lid and set the dial to low before going I to shut down mode...not sure if that matters. Anyway glad it stayed contained !

Looks like you also have the winter blanket on it..I wonder if that was a factor?....what was the outside temp? I think we were talking about this the other day. I usually open the lid and set the dial to low before going I to shut down mode...not sure if that matters. Anyway glad it stayed contained !
It was about 45* outside, I live in Michigan, I keep the insulated blanket on year around. I've had it for 6 years and hundreds of pounds of pellets and never had this problem before

I shut down my 680 after a higher heat cook without bringing the temp first. It smoked all night and I had a fire in the hopper the next day.
I hosed it down and it seems OK now. I have owned this grill since 2014 and never had this happen before.
Has any one else seen this?
Lucky no damage to anyone or your house. Never happened to me but definitely a concern. Any damage to the unit? ??

No damage, I soaked it down with a couple of buckets of water and scooped the pellets out with a fireplace shovel into and ash pail. After it dried for a day, I vacuumed out the rest of the pellets and ashes. Today I put a scoop of pellets in and fired it up.
It seems ok, but I'm a bit worried. I think for now on I will turn the temp down low and let it burn the fire pot empty.
Tim

Yikes! Looks like it smoldered right up the auger tube. Kinda what I was scared of on Sunday. Saw a few wisps of smoke about 15 mins after shutdown and got heaver when I opened the lid to check.

You're lucky it didn't burn bigger overnight. Especially if you store in a structure or next to one. Will you contact RT? I'd be curious about their response.
I see you had the insulated jacket on and it was raining. Did your pellets somehow get wet. Only wet wood smolders

No damage, I soaked it down with a couple of buckets of water and scooped the pellets out with a fireplace shovel into and ash pail. After it dried for a day, I vacuumed out the rest of the pellets and ashes. Today I put a scoop of pellets in and fired it up.
It seems ok, but I'm a bit worried. I think for now on I will turn the temp down low and let it burn the fire pot empty.
Tim
Wow. Makes me think about moving the bull away from my house. ??

I see you had the insulated jacket on and it was raining. Did your pellets somehow get wet. Only wet wood smolders
No they weren't wet it was dry out. It got cold that night (27*) the hopper lid was closed, I think the moisture came from carbon monoxide condensation.

To be more clear on that, I didn't cover it the night before, it started to sprinkle around noon.
I went out to cover when I noticed it still smoking, when I flipped the lid open it was wet inside and smoldering, That's when I took the picture, I went to get a bucket and when I got back it was flaming,

To be more clear on that, I didn't cover it the night before, it started to sprinkle around noon.
I went out to cover when I noticed it still smoking, when I flipped the lid open it was wet inside and smoldering, That's when I took the picture, I went to get a bucket and when I got back it was flaming,
Yeesh. Mine is about 3’ from the house on a wooden deck. I’m moving it before my next cook. ??

Yikes indeed! Are you going to contact RT about this?

I cook in the driveway since we store ours in the garage. The missus understands now why I make sure it's done burning before wheeling it back in...

Yikes indeed! Are you going to contact RT about this?

I cook in the driveway since we store ours in the garage. The missus understands now why I make sure it's done burning before wheeling it back in...
We were tailgating at a NY Giants game and a guy put his little Smokey joe, when done, under his car. During the game we saw smoke in the parking lot. His car was incinerated as were the 2 cars next to him. “Hello, honey, I’ve got some bad news . . . ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back