Homemade Heavy D

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone in here taken the RecTec heat deflector, and made a Heavy D" out of it?...
I realise Heavy D has thicker material, I'm asking about the wood holders... Curious to see if you have.

Has anyone in here taken the RecTec heat deflector, and made a Heavy D" out of it?...
I realise Heavy D has thicker material, I'm asking about the wood holders... Curious to see if you have.
There was a post earlier about heat control and adding the side pieces. Some handled it by cracking the lid a bit. Other had no prob. Is it to increase smoke!

The Heavy D won't fit on the 340, I have the 340 and had a welding friend put 1-1/4 stainless angle iron on my deflector. We didn't use the perforated material like on the Heavy D. I've only done one smoke and put hickory chips in it. I smoked for 4 hours at 275 degrees and the smoke flavor was improved. The chips were like charcoal at the end. I plan to use peach branches cut to size in the space also.

He also beefed up the deflector so it wouldn't warp. Overall I'm very happy with this so far.

The Heavy D won't fit on the 340, I have the 340 and had a welding friend put 1-1/4 stainless angle iron on my deflector. We didn't use the perforated material like on the Heavy D. I've only done one smoke and put hickory chips in it. I smoked for 4 hours at 275 degrees and the smoke flavor was improved. The chips were like charcoal at the end. I plan to use peach branches cut to size in the space also.

He also beefed up the deflector so it wouldn't warp. Overall I'm very happy with this so far.
Nice, do you have any pics of it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back