Hit the meat jackpot at Costco today!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Made my monthly run to Costco this afternoon and found a good supply of both Tri-tip and Picanha in the meat department, along with some humongous, good-looking ribeyes. Stocked up the freezer with a great selection. The Tri-tip was really well-marbled even though it was graded choice. The Picanha was also choice with a nicely trimmed fat cap. There was enough fat left on (3/8” or so) for a nice cook without a lot of waste.

Sometimes you just get lucky at the meat counter.

We just got back from Costco and they had Picanha for the first time so we picked up a two pack. I’ve never done Picanha but am anxious to try it. I’ve seen several done here on the forum and I’ll be checking out Guga on YouTube.

Our Costco has had excellent choice tri tip this year. Lots of good marbling. But today they had two packs where there was one good one paired with one really lean one. Fortunately we still have a few in the freezer.

Curious what area of the country you live in.....but sounds like a great day! I would of picked up the same.

Curious what area of the country you live in.....but sounds like a great day! I would of picked up the same.
Northwest corner of Washington state. My “local” Costco is in Bellingham. It was the first time I have ever found Picanha in the meat department there. Nice surprise. They have had Tri-tip there, off-and-on, for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
We moved to South Alabama last year. Can’t find Tri tip any where. I asked a meat cutter if they ever get it in and he looked at me, laughed and said “you must be from the west coast. We never get Tri tip here”. I asked at Costco too. The guy filling the counter didn’t seem like he knew what it was.
You’re not in Cali anymore Kid.

Nice! They just dropped some picana at my local Costco too. Decent price for beef at 5.99 a pound.

Ended up cooking it on my rotisserie

We moved to South Alabama last year. Can’t find Tri tip any where. I asked a meat cutter if they ever get it in and he looked at me, laughed and said “you must be from the west coast. We never get Tri tip here”. I asked at Costco too. The guy filling the counter didn’t seem like he knew what it was.
Yes, tri-tip is primarily a West Coast thing. In other parts of the country, it may be called something else (California cut, bottom sirloin butt, Newport steak, Santa Maria steak, etc.) or simply ground into hamburger. It does require a bit of special attention in both cooking and slicing to produce a good result. Improperly cooked and/or sliced, it can make you wish it had been ground into hamburger. ;)

I recently smoked a bottom round roast to 135° in hopes that it would be my new medium rare beef cut. It turned out good. We were very pleased with the results. And, a local grocery store has it on sale regularly for 3.99lb.

Our Costco in Torrance, started carrying Wagyu recently. $39/lb. I looked at it several times and finally bought some ribeyes. Center cut only. I also bought some Prime center cuts of the unknown breed regular stuff. Both were excellent, IMO. But my wife noted that the flavor was slightly better with the mystery meat. So, given the mystery meat is about half the price, I'm going with that.

Wild Fork. They have everything: https://wildforkfoods.com/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back