Hi There!

wildblue

Man I've been waiting for something like this... those silly FB groups drive me up a wall!

Have had my 680 for just under a year. It was an early Christmas present from my SO. I'll share the funny part of that story:
Thanksgiving of '16 I decided to smoke a Turkey. I had never actually cooked a turkey in my life. It was just a 'misfits Thanksgiving' anyway, so why not give it a shot? So I babysat one of those cheap charcoal grill / smoker things I had won at a chili cook-off. Everyone said it was the best turkey they had ever had. For the next year, people kept asking if I was going to do that again.... I'd always say "I don't know, that was a lot of work... was it *that* good?" In the middle there somewhere, a friend of mine had a cookout at his place and I was introduced to his RecTec. I kept thinking about it, but I was in the middle of some major purchases and just didn't have the $$ to spare. In October, I get a surprise early Christmas gift... conveniently with about a month to 'learn' it before smoking another Thanksgiving turkey. :D Been using it as often as possible ever since - even a few times a month in the winter (which takes some effort here in Ohio)

Welcome! Love the story. Looking forward to doing my first Turkey on the Rec Tec this year. Thinking brine and then spatchcock but we'll see.

those silly FB groups drive me up a wall!
I'll admit I'm not a facebook fan either.

Glad to have you here with us @wildblue and thanks for joining. After seeing the video Ray made smoking a couple turkeys, I'm really wanting to do it this year.

I normally deep fry my turkeys and REALLY like how they turn out. So I'm really interested to seeing how the smoked turkey turns out.

I normally deep fry my turkeys and REALLY like how they turn out. So I'm really interested to seeing how the smoked turkey turns out.

Everyone I know that's tried deep fried and smoked says smoked wins hands down. I've only done 2 on the rec tec so far, but they both turned out great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back