Stampede Hi there. I need some help with smoking salmon on my new RT 590.

GrillRookie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have the seasoning I want, but need some advice on temperatures and time on the grill. I saw a suggestion of 245 degrees for an hour works, but I’d like some other opinions. Other info. I won’t be using a cedar plank. Also, does it make sense to use the thermometers and what should be the internal finished temperature ? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a recipe posted on the forum plus a few folks added some good advice onto it. I smoke salmon at the minimum 180 degrees for about 3 hours. Around 130 internal temperature works pretty well. I did some earlier batches to 140 that were a bit overcooked for our liking.

I have a recipe posted on the forum plus a few folks added some good advice onto it. I smoke salmon at the minimum 180 degrees for about 3 hours. Around 130 internal temperature works pretty well. I did some earlier batches to 140 that were a bit overcooked for our liking.
Thanks, BB. I’ll try that on Sunday.

I have the seasoning I want, but need some advice on temperatures and time on the grill. I saw a suggestion of 245 degrees for an hour works, but I’d like some other opinions. Other info. I won’t be using a cedar plank. Also, does it make sense to use the thermometers and what should be the internal finished temperature ? Any help would be much appreciated.
I like it on high...4- 6 min on each side if they are thick fillets cooked on sear plates. Perfect every time!

How high is high ? Thanks.
I have a Bull and turn temp to high and usually gets to 500° With sear kit fish Sears nicely and is flaky

Attachments

• 9CB000D2-30B2-48B6-A484-4E719F0F08E7.jpeg
    9CB000D2-30B2-48B6-A484-4E719F0F08E7.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 108
Quite true. For the original poster, this shows that there are lots of different approaches using your RT. It's just a question of what you like.

How high is high ? Thanks.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Just saw your question now. Here’s what I did. Pre-heated the RT500 to 180° and kept the salmon steaks in until they reached the targeted internal temperature which was 140°. That took about 3 hours. They came out really delicious with a good smokey flavor, but a bit dry. I think next time, I’m going to aim for 130° internal temp, which should shorten the cooking period. I didn’t brine the slamon or apply anything other than a bit of olive oil,some soy sauce and a fish spice from Paul Prudhomme. Maybe someone else here has a method for keeping the salmon more moist.

I have found 130 temperature internal to work well for smoking my salmon. A couple other thoughts...

Brining generally helps me to produce more moist salmon. Also, the choice of salmon can make a difference. If I can find it, I use Ora King or Scottish salmon, as they have higher fat content. That helps reduce the chance of drying it out. I would guess the options might depend on where you live. We are lucky here to have access to lots of fish.

I have found 130 temperature internal to work well for smoking my salmon. A couple other thoughts...

Brining generally helps me to produce more moist salmon. Also, the choice of salmon can make a difference. If I can find it, I use Ora King or Scottish salmon, as they have higher fat content. That helps reduce the chance of drying it out. I would guess the options might depend on where you live. We are lucky here to have access to lots of fish.
Thanks for the tips, BB. I’m trying smash burgers for the first time tonight. Having a ball with my RT590

A friend who is a member of the Stillaguamish tribe turned me on this formula:

Marinate the salmon fillets in a tamari and crushed ginger marinade for about 20 minutes. (Soy sauce is too heavy a flavor)

Put on smoker at 350F for about 11 minutes. Fish should be translucent not opaque. You can do the same thing in the oven but the smoke really adds to the flavor.

I think the cedar plank craze came from the Coastal Salish method of cooking salmon. A fillet (whole one side of fish) would be secured to a cedar plank and the plank would be stuck in the ground near an Alder fire. The heat from the fire would cook the fish and the oils would flow down the fillet to keep it moist. It does taste great but the cedar plank really doesn't add anything to the flavor it was just there to hold the fish.

Yesterday was my first attempt at smoking salmon (Sockeye).

First, I let my fish 'swim' in Bourbon for 1 hour. Then I cured it overnight (brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper). Rinsed the cure off, and let it sit in the fridge for about 5 hours until it was time to cook.

Preheated my Stampede to 250 and smoked the fish to 135 IT.

Turned out pretty freaking awesome!

Tomorrow I'm doing another version on the Kettle and compare results.

New guy, but did some salmon tonight, smoked at 225 on the Bull for 30 mins, took it off for 10 mins or so while cranked up to full and seared 3 mins flesh side, about 8 mins skin side, took it off at 130-135. Very good, but a lot of smoke (for me) with LJ competition blend; next time may go with pure sear, lighter wood. This was store-bought marinated in teriyaki-garlic, fwiw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back