RT-1070 He's Back! New RT1070

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
Long story. I liked my 590, never had problems. But in May I decided I wanted a pit that offered direct flame searing. So I decided to upgrade to a Memphis grill. Who could argue with that? Bad mistake on my part. I ordered their cheaper Beale Street model. Total piece of junk! Oh well I'll skip the long story. The junk is gone!
I ordered the 1070 last Friday. They shipped on Monday, and I received and assembled Wednesday. Looks like a lot of thought went into this new design. The cabinet is really Ok IMO, in spite of the criticism posted here, it provides the storage (out of sight) of much of my accessory junk, and rolls well on my porch. The burn in at 400* went very well and the new WiFi (duel channel) was an easy hookup with just a few clicks. Looking forward to gettin smokin!
IMG_1603.jpeg

Thanks. Will try to keep you informed as I use it.

Congrats on the 1070 and wish you all the best with it!

It would be really nice to get the view on the Beale Street. We don't usually get to hear many real life examples of other products.

I was happy with the RT590 andB380 but wanted a small foot print and open flame (I thought). And an upgrade. Everyone that I know having Memphis Elite, Pro, Advantage have always commented on what great pits they were. So I looked at them online and found that the prices were out of sight, although they are all 304 SS except for the new Beale Street, which was developed they said for those who wanted the same quality in a cheaper version. It is 430 SS and has a less sophisticated control which they call "Intelligent temperature control". Only the grates were 304 SS and perhaps the fire pot. I recalled that they shifted their manufacture to China several years ago but knowing who they were and the awards they had won, I assumed that quality would be good. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.
1. body is all 18 gauge, which shows no rigidity.
2. First control was flawed and overheated to ignite a grease fire on first cook. Also damaged the RTD
3. Second control, was crazy up and down at all temps and on Low/Slow, the fan was off 99 percent of the time, allowing lots of ash build up, and rising temps with long cooks.
4. Convinced them to send a 3rd control, and it was bad as well on long cooks.
5. The sheet metal was easily scratched and flimsy.
6. I noted rust forming in spots from food stains, or metal to metal contact.
7. Bottom Line: It's gone. POS They made a mistake IMO. This is the Beale Street model only. I'm sure the top lines are better.
PS Email service only and slow responses.

Thanks @okie for sharing your real world experience. This is very helpful to see from an experienced non-biased person.

I know myself I can be hard on Recteq, but I guess the minor things really can be overlooked when there are larger issues with other brands. I came from Traeger after going through 2 of them I will never look back, but still interested in other brands. You likely saved some folks from going through the same experience.

As you say.. their top models might be different. That is even a bigger bet.

That 1070 sure looks nice.. I would love to have one along my 700 if I had the room and got rid of the 3 other grills (tools).

Smoke On! 🍻

Long story. I liked my 590, never had problems. But in May I decided I wanted a pit that offered direct flame searing. So I decided to upgrade to a Memphis grill. Who could argue with that? Bad mistake on my part. I ordered their cheaper Beale Street model. Total piece of junk! Oh well I'll skip the long story. The junk is gone!
I ordered the 1070 last Friday. They shipped on Monday, and I received and assembled Wednesday. Looks like a lot of thought went into this new design. The cabinet is really Ok IMO, in spite of the criticism posted here, it provides the storage (out of sight) of much of my accessory junk, and rolls well on my porch. The burn in at 400* went very well and the new WiFi (duel channel) was an easy hookup with just a few clicks. Looking forward to gettin smokin!
View attachment 17025
I have a feeling that the price will go up soon. I think it is a deal at $1299. With free shipping.
How hot did it get on high?
678* when I shutdown.

The 590 is only 14mos old. I will upgrade when I wear this one out. It’s still rolling along like a champ after a couple cooks a week. I would just like a bigger cooking surface. I like the build and quality.

First rack of BB ribs (no pics) turned out well. Pleased that there is very little soot production compared to the excessive soot on my Memphis Beale Street (which is now gone!). Means the fire is very efficient. I think I am in love with the 1070.

Just a comment about shutdown:
I had eliminated poor shutdowns with the 590 by turning temp down to 220--250 after a high temp cook and letting it drift down to 250 or so before hitting off button. It worked fine. I asked RT tech a few days ago if I needed to do that to avoid auger fire or smoldering backburn. I had noticed the problem following high temp cooks. He said "No" just hit the off button. Well I did that twice since and had smoldering back burn both times. Tonight it occurred after a 350* cook for one hour. Go figure. So I cleaned it out and primed the pot with some pellets for a normal start. Cranked it up to 410* (why 410? who knows?) for 35-40 minutes to simulate a hot cook. Then turned it down to 210* (arbitrary) and when it dipped down below 250* I hit the Off button. Bingo, no back burn. I think the RT service guys always answer in defense of the units even tho they probably have heard the same complaints before. My conclusion, I will always turn down the temp from cooks over 300 now and let 1070 cool down to 250 while I eat my meal before shutting it down. If that works consistently or most of the time, I can handle that. Otherwise "Hawg" works like a jewel and made good chicken wings tonight before he misbehaved.

The 1070 is a good looking grill.
Not sure what you mean. I did turn it back on once after the backburn continued for 15 minutes and then shut it down again, but the backburn continued. So while it was off and smoldering, I removed the grates, drip pan and diffuser, went into test mode and ran the auger until only unlit pellets came out. Exited test mode and then spooned out the hot pellets, (aggravated by continuing smoke). When all was cool, is when I turned back on and up to 410, then did the cool down and and turn off successfully. This always worked well for the 590, and I expect it will for 1070. But need a couple of repeat successes before I become a true believer. Stay tuned!

That’s odd… I cook almost every day at 400 for about 30min and when I’m done turn of the grill and that’s that… I have not cooked hotter than that though…

That’s odd… I cook almost every day at 400 for about 30min and when I’m done turn of the grill and that’s that… I have not cooked hotter than that though…
After the 5+ minute shutdown, do you ever see smoke coming out for several minutes later?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back