charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Great!!! Wife has me looking at the Bullseye RT-B380!!! Been watching some videos. This here Bullseye looks more like a regular grill. Couple questions. Where does the grease go? I don't see a grease bucket. What is the spacer that is mentioned sometimes? I saw a video where a guy had lava rocks sitting on his heat deflector in his Bullseye. Are they really needed? I have been resting my brain the last couple of days from my Stampede RT-590 adventure. Here I go again. I hope y'all hang in there again with me.

Last edited:
In the videos it collects in the middle, or drops down and gets burned off in riot mode. A general cleaning every once in a while other than that.

The spacer keeps the lid slightly open to allow more airflow (I guess the vents aren't enough) hopefully somebody else can confirm this, since mine didn't come with the grill. I've heard of people just using one of those tool hangers off the lid gap instead of using the spacer.

Lava rocks - can't speak for that, haven't seen it, but the grill gets plenty hot for quick fast burns... I did my initial run and with my B&B Oak pellets got it to 730 degrees.

Hope that helps - smoke on

In the videos it collects in the middle, or drops down and gets burned off in riot mode. A general cleaning every once in a while other than that.

The spacer keeps the lid slightly open to allow more airflow (I guess the vents aren't enough) hopefully somebody else can confirm this, since mine didn't come with the grill. I've heard of people just using one of those tool hangers off the lid gap instead of using the spacer.

Lava rocks - can't speak for that, haven't seen it, but the grill gets plenty hot for quick fast burns... I did my initial run and with my B&B Oak pellets got it to 730 degrees.

Hope that helps - smoke on
Thanks @Bmseay. I had couple of folks suggest that the Bullseye is more of what I needed instead of the Stampede. I am beginning to think so. I have been watching some videos. It appears to me you really don't need the sear grates that much. I like the idea of no drip pan to have to clean and no drip bucket. So how are your steaks and HBs? Are they pretty good? I bet this thing will be hard to get next month when they come in again. They sold out fast last batch.

I love my Bullseye, it just does a great job of hot and fast cooks. Last night I reverse seared steaks, slow cooked to 110* on the Bull and then finished on the Bullseye’s grill grates in riot mode, while the corn and stuffed peppers finished on the Bull. BTW, everything here but for the meat and the cheese came out of my garden.

Attachments

• BD9D0835-CE92-441E-BF8A-DC693EC15305.jpeg
    BD9D0835-CE92-441E-BF8A-DC693EC15305.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 83
I saw a video where a guy had lava rocks sitting on his heat deflector in his Bullseye. Are they really needed?
Not just no, but heck no to lava rocks in any pellet grill! Lava rocks were (perhaps they still are?) a gas grill thing. I have no explanation of why the guy in the video feels like they are needed, perhaps to act as a further diffuser as the Bullseye diffuser by design lets some flame come through.

You will need to remove that diffuser often to clean out the ash, and having lava rocks on top of it would be a PITA in my opinion. A foil tray would serve the same purpose should you want to do slow cooks on the Bullseye.

Over at the Pitmaster Club what you've got Charles is called MCS.................................More Cooker Syndrome. Sometimes an insatiable urge to buy "just one more" cooker to have some of those other features that are supposedly lacking in whatever it is you have at hand at the moment. I could counsel you here about the dangers of MCS, or encourage you to diversify your cooker arsenal with equipment using other fuels or techniques, but I'm probably "that guy" your wife wouldn't want you to know. A couple months ago I had 11 cookers, but got busy and trimmed it down to 7. Yeah..........................well, Friday a delivery will have me back up to 10. Just sayin'........:ROFLMAO:

Over at the Pitmaster Club what you've got Charles is called MCS.................................More Cooker Syndrome. Sometimes an insatiable urge to buy "just one more" cooker to have some of those other features that are supposedly lacking in whatever it is you have at hand at the moment. I could counsel you here about the dangers of MCS, or encourage you to diversify your cooker arsenal with equipment using other fuels or techniques, but I'm probably "that guy" your wife wouldn't want you to know. A couple months ago I had 11 cookers, but got busy and trimmed it down to 7. Yeah..........................well, Friday a delivery will have me back up to 10. Just sayin'........:ROFLMAO:

I would like to get a bullseye to replace my gasser. But then I wouldn't have a gasser.
So if I get a bullseye, should I still replace my gasser?
I only have 3 grills right now. So a fourth wouldn't be tooo big of deal.
I just can't talk about these sensitive subjects with the wife....

I’m not a good person to ask about keeping a gasser as I’m not a fan of them. It’s been almost 30 years since I owned one, so it’s possible they have improved a lot over the years, but nothing about them excites me. Cooking outdoors with wood (charcoal, sticks, or pellets) just gives me the flavors that you will never get with gas.

I’m not a good person to ask about keeping a gasser as I’m not a fan of them. It’s been almost 30 years since I owned one, so it’s possible they have improved a lot over the years, but nothing about them excites me. Cooking outdoors with wood (charcoal, sticks, or pellets) just gives me the flavors that you will never get with gas.
I use to like gassers 40 years or so ago when they had lava rocks in them. I will never have one any more. No good flavors unless you doctor the hell out of meats and then it is questionable to me.

I use to like gassers 40 years or so ago when they had lava rocks in them. I will never have one any more. No good flavors unless you doctor the hell out of meats and then it is questionable to me.

That lava rock thing is totally new to me.. I plan to do some good ole' research later today...

That lava rock thing is totally new to me.. I plan to do some good ole' research later today...
@Bmseay let me know if you fine a gas lava rock grill. I first got acquainted with gas lava rock grills was back in the 70tys. The theory is that meat drips on the hot lava rock thus giving that good charcoal or wood flavor to your meat, or at least close to it. I am guessing but I think back in the 90tys or so they quit putting lava rocks in the gas grills due to grease fires. When I met my wife in 2000 she had a gas grill with no lava rocks. I couldn't believe how her meat had no flavor. So I modified her gasser with lava rocks and wow, what an improvement. Now days the way the gas grills are being made there is little or no way to add lava rocks. I will never have another one.
The one nice thing about gassers is they are fast and convenient to fire up. The wife is missing that. It looks like the Bullseye is the way to go. Fast to start up and quick to cook.

@Bmseay let me know if you fine a gas lava rock grill. I first got acquainted with gas lava rock grills was back in the 70tys. The theory is that meat drips on the hot lava rock thus giving that good charcoal or wood flavor to your meat, or at least close to it. I am guessing but I think back in the 90tys or so they quit putting lava rocks in the gas grills due to grease fires. When I met my wife in 2000 she had a gas grill with no lava rocks. I couldn't believe how her meat had no flavor. So I modified her gasser with lava rocks and wow, what an improvement. Now days the way the gas grills are being made there is little or no way to add lava rocks. I will never have another one.
The one nice thing about gassers is they are fast and convenient to fire up. The wife is missing that. It looks like the Bullseye is the way to go. Fast to start up and quick to cook.

Sounds like Weber replaced the lava rocks with the "flavorizer bars" - which sound like they do the same thing - catch the grease and let it go back to the meat...

Very cool.

Sounds like Weber replaced the lava rocks with the "flavorizer bars" - which sound like they do the same thing - catch the grease and let it go back to the meat...

Very cool.
How does the meat cooked with flavorizer bars taste?

My Weber does a good job cooking meat and it is always tasty, I just hate the idea of a gas grill and look forward to selling it now that I have the bullseye.
I was not aware of the flavorizer bars. Interesting

I still keep a gasser with flavorizer bars in the arsenal, and had the lava rock version many moons ago. I don't recall a difference in taste, but the lava rocks were a long time ago. Gassers are a good all-purpose tool (and a great backup if you realize you're out of pellets...and your tank isn't empty). And for searing. Smoke can be added with a chunk of wood wrapped in foil, with some holes poked in it, tossed on the bars. As long as I have the space, I'll likely always have a couple different types of grills. And nothing against the Bullseye, there'd probably be one out back if I could have ordered one.

I still keep a gasser with flavorizer bars in the arsenal, and had the lava rock version many moons ago. I don't recall a difference in taste, but the lava rocks were a long time ago. Gassers are a good all-purpose tool (and a great backup if you realize you're out of pellets...and your tank isn't empty). And for searing. Smoke can be added with a chunk of wood wrapped in foil, with some holes poked in it, tossed on the bars.
Have to agree. My Weber Summit 620 has been a workhorse for a good ten years. It has cooked our 25 pound Thanksgiving turkeys many times . It definitely serves its purpose. For as much as I love my Bull, the gas grill stays too. No more lava rocks these days but I remember them from years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back