Help with port back ribs

TomatoBob

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I made my first attempt at pork back ribs yesterday. I used a version of the classic 3-2-1 recipe.

Sweet Rub on all sides
3 hours @ 180, (using Kingsford Classic, hickory, oak & cherry blend)
Wrap in foil after adding butter, apple & cider
2 hours @ 225
Remove foil and sauce
1 hour @ 225

My wife complained that the ribs were over-smoked and dry. I thought that the smoke was fine but the meat, while flavorful was a little tough. I was hoping for the fall-off-the-bone experience.

My guess is that I need to vary the timing of the cook and maybe the temps, but how? Here are my questions.

Will a shorter first phase reduce the smoke?
Will adding to or shortening the length of any of the phases improve the tenderness?
Will changing the temps be useful? If so, how?
What is the most important aspect of the cook, (time, temp, steam, etc.) if the goal is melt in the mouth tenderness?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

Sounds like you went by time as opposed to the ribs being done when they are done. I use the instant read thermometers probe to tell me when they are done. One can also use the bend test although I've had ribs check tender to my liking with the probe but not crack when bounced, YMMV.

Time and temp get me in the ball park.

I don't smoke ribs by time. I put em on at 225 degrees until they pass the bend test. Then eat em. Perfect every time. Ribs will be over cooked if they fall off the bone. Meat should have a slight tug when you bit into the rib. IMHO.

OK, I will show my ignorance. What is the bend test?

It seems to me that steaming them would be a good thing. Are you saying that it is not necessary?

Heres a website that will give you EVERYTHING you need to know about smoking ribs. Dont give up and give it a shot. Keep a log of your cooks. This will help you with the every cook going forward as that way you can go back and see what needs to be tweaked or what worked. Cheers and smoke on.

https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

I think the majority of folks wrap with foil or butchers paper and that boils or steams their ribs to some extent.

We like our ribs pretty much "fall off the bone", Ken doesn't. You need to do is come up with a way of telling when they are done that works for how you want them done.

I've got it down for finishing them how we like them, I just have no idea how long it'll take to get them there, it varies from cook to cook. I can't tell my wife that dinner will be @ 5pm, I tell her it'll be somewhere around 5pm, like between 4 and 6, I hope.

On edit: I just noticed on the Amazing Ribs link that meathead says to figure on cooking taking from 5-7 hours for St Louis, and 3-5 hours for BB's depending on cut and temp. No wonder mine are all over the place.

I make 3-2-1 ribs all the time for St Louis Ribs. This recipe is standard and very consistent. The ribs are moist, not fall off the bone, but have that competition bite.

Preheat to 225 - Total time, 6 hours on smoker, 30 minutes resting
3 hours – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Louisiana hot sauce or Mustard binder, rub liberally, bone down, meat up on grill, no foil.
2 hours – Wrap in foil- Bone, up, meat down. On top of the foil 2 pieces, spread 3 tablespoons butter length of ribs, ¼ cup brown sugar, and swirl honey on top of the brown sugar and butter. Lay ribs, meat side down on top of that mixture wrap, squirt honey on top of the back of the ribs. Wrap in 2 pieces of foil, each rack separately, airtight, press tightly.
Last hour - Remove foil, carefully pour fluid into container. Place uncovered ribs bone down, meat up for 30 minutes, last 30 minutes, brush with BBQ sauce.
Wrap together or separate and let rest 30 minutes before eating.

Works every time. Many people prefer to not wrap at all. But if you're looking for fall off the bone, I don't think that's the right method. If you let these sit in foil longer when they're resting they will get to that fall off the bone stage faster.

Baby back ribs use the same recipe only 2-2-1.

Hi TB and welcome. Although I am not a wrap person or a 3-2-1 cook either, relying on the bend test mostly, I might be able to answer a couple of your questions. Starting at 180 for 3 hours will definitely produce more smoke than if you started at a higher temp, as with pellet cookers the higher the temp is set the more efficient the pellets are burned so less smoke. By starting your cook at 225 you will accomplish and answer your first two questions. 225 for the first three hours will produce less smoke, and start to tenderize your ribs more than 3 hours at 180. Your ribs were probably tough because of that initial part of your cook. The meat was probably not ready to be wrapped yet. There is always a balance between time and temp, can never rely on just one of those elements. But that is what makes this type of cooking so much fun, you try, you learn, you adjust ....all the while you eat pretty good to amazing food. Keep cooking and keep sharing!

Hi TB and welcome. Although I am not a wrap person or a 3-2-1 cook either, relying on the bend test mostly, I might be able to answer a couple of your questions. Starting at 180 for 3 hours will definitely produce more smoke than if you started at a higher temp, as with pellet cookers the higher the temp is set the more efficient the pellets are burned so less smoke. By starting your cook at 225 you will accomplish and answer your first two questions. 225 for the first three hours will produce less smoke, and start to tenderize your ribs more than 3 hours at 180. Your ribs were probably tough because of that initial part of your cook. The meat was probably not ready to be wrapped yet. There is always a balance between time and temp, can never rely on just one of those elements. But that is what makes this type of cooking so much fun, you try, you learn, you adjust ....all the while you eat pretty good to amazing food. Keep cooking and keep sharing!
Thanks for all the great advice. I am surprised that cooking at a higher temp for a longer time makes the ribs more tender. It does not surprise me however, that since the lower temps create more smoke spending more time in a smokier environment would increase the smoke flavor.

I guess I will just have to try again and again and again...

Padlin's comment about never knowing when the meat will be done mirror's my experience. My wife likes precise schedules so she is usually mad when I bring in the meat from the smoker.

With baby back ribs:
I smoke for 3 hours starting on xtreme smoke for 30 minutes, then 225 for the remainder of the time. Each hour I will quickly spray with room temp water or mix of water and apple juice. At the 3 hr mark, rub bbq sauce (I use something without high fructose corn syrup and mix with wate) on One side, let smoke for 10min, flip and sauce the other side and let smoke for another 10-15minutes, pull and wrap tight in foil. Then I just let it smoke for another 2 hours without opening the lid, and Then rest on the counter for 30min.

there’s still a nice bark, the bbq sauce isn’t burned on, and the meat has a slight hold on to the bone. Like others mentioned, keep a journal of your times and cooks and you’ll perfect them as well!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back