Help with grill choice?

Shawn.Benson

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I was hoping to get one grill to smoke and grill on. Starting to think that is not possible based on some posts in these forums. I started looking at the 590, but looks like it may get to high temps too slow. Then the 700, which again, too long to heat up. Understand that the 700 now has the 3rpm auger, new board and firmware and deflector. Can someone confirm? I settled on the 1250, which is really too big for what I need. I see a lot of people but the 340 in addition to something else to grill steak/burgers. The 340 seems just a tad too small. Do any of these really work for grilling in addition to smoking? Was hoping to have one grill and not have to buy another gas grill. I see new grills today as well, may look at the 410. Any thought on using to grill in addtio to smoking? Probably like 20% smoking and 80% grilling, although sure that could change once I start smoking some good meat. The 380 looked interesting, but the price just seems too high.

Some do use their smoker for grilling and smoking, works for them. Others, myself included, use more than 1. I have 3 that I use, the 340 for low and slow, and cast iron pizzas, the gasser for quick grilling, and the charcoal for when I want to spend the time getting the best flavor.

Roughly, I use the gasser 75% of the time, the 340 20%, and the remainder on the kettle.

I have a 700 with the updated heat deflector and auger. I don't use grill plates, and get plenty of heat to sear. Yes, it takes a little bit to get up to temp, but so does charcoal. As far as size goes, for the two of us and the occasional family gathering, the 700 is perfect. Here are a few pics of some of my grilling sessions.
IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

68194943979__ACCAE04C-F486-45CC-814B-520DB8FF010C.fullsizerender.jpeg

My two cents is that the main smokers (340, 590, 700, 1070, and 1250) can grill and I've done a fair amount of "grilling", but only in the 350 - 500 range effectively/efficiently. You can bump the grilling surface temps with Grill Grates, etc., but compared to gas, infrared, or even charcoal, the other methods are superior for true high heat grilling.

One thing that I do quite a bit is hybrid cooks. Start low to get some smoke and then crank up between 350 - 400 to crisp up chicken skin, get a light sear (definitely not a traditional hard sear) for burgers, etc. All of the RT's are very handy at this mid-cook transition. I can go from 200 to 400 in about 4 minutes with my 1250.

I thought about getting a 380 for high heat grilling, but ended up picking up a PK Grill for direct heat and high temps.

I was hoping to get one grill to smoke and grill on. Starting to think that is not possible based on some posts in these forums.
You can absolutely grill and smoke on any recteq. The question of 340/700-1250 is a question of size, not a question if on can grill or smoke compared ,to the other models. I expect most people here mention multiple grills because they want to grill AND smoke for the same meal, and that’s more of temp issue rather than a limitation of the grill.

If your in a hurry, better stick to propane grilling. All pellets are going to take time getting to temp. Look at the size of the burner compare to the 4 burners in average grill.

If your in a hurry, better stick to propane grilling. All pellets are going to take time getting to temp. Look at the size of the burner compare to the 4 burners in average grill.
Not in a hurry. But, I want to be able to open the lid and flip some burgers or steak without having it take 30 minutes ti get back to temp. Seems like that is a possibility.

I have a 700 with the updated heat deflector and auger. I don't use grill plates, and get plenty of heat to sear. Yes, it takes a little bit to get up to temp, but so does charcoal. As far as size goes, for the two of us and the occasional family gathering, the 700 is perfect. Here are a few pics of some of my grilling sessions.
View attachment 18845
View attachment 18846
View attachment 18847
View attachment 18848
View attachment 18849
That looks Awesome! Very encouraging.

I would agree with others, all can smoke and grill but most have a better function between the two(grill and smoke). The main grills I would believe are smokers first and grills second. The upgraded auger I hear helps a lot. I have a 700 and was able to purchase the faster auger from RecTeq but haven't made time to install.

The Bullseye in my opinon is a grill first and a smoker second. I've smoked ribs on my Bullseye and they came out great but I mostly grill on my Bullseye.

But if you want a smoker first and grill second, any other those grills will do. I think most of the new grills have the upgraded auger which helps getting up to temp a lot faster.

I haven't used any of my other grills since the 1070 got up and running last June. I'll need to - I have stockpiles of wood and charcoal, but the ease usually wins out. I do use grill grates, I do have the griddle, there's not much I would have to have another grill for.

What folks above are saying is basically correct; you can both grill and smoke on any of the RT products. And, what @kstone113 said regarding the difference between the RT-380 series grills and the RT-340/590/700/et al series smokers is pretty much spot on. I do think they are a bit of a compromise in either direction, however.

Personally I can’t get past the need (or maybe just “desire”) for a good gas grill for pure grilling. IMO, they have a better temperature adjustment range (especially on the high end) and I find them superior for searing. They also come up to temperature more quickly IME.

I have one of each, and use them both pretty extensively, depending on what I’m cooking and how I want to cook it.

YMMV

I have the 1250, no issues when grilling or smoking. I use the grill grates, flat side. I love to doing a reversed sear steak on the smoker. Give it a lot of flavor. Even in 20* weather the 1250 cranks out the heat. Just throw the ash in the botton for added insulation. Going from 225 to 500 + doesn’t take long at all. Biggest pain is cooling it down afterwards. Just time consumin.

Great choice. We have had three 590 in our family. All are 3-4 years old and still trouble free. (one donated to local fire station and replaced with my 1070).

After much debate, decide on the 590.

It's the overall best and most sorted out of them all, and mine hits set temps and catches up pretty quickly. I don't ever go over 400 as I bought it first and foremost for low and slow, but I have no issue hitting 400 from dead cold in about 15 minutes. I have 3 buds with 590's as well, all are still quite smitten with theirs.

I was hoping to get one grill to smoke and grill on. Starting to think that is not possible based on some posts in these forums. I started looking at the 590, but looks like it may get to high temps too slow. Then the 700, which again, too long to heat up. Understand that the 700 now has the 3rpm auger, new board and firmware and deflector. Can someone confirm? I settled on the 1250, which is really too big for what I need. I see a lot of people but the 340 in addition to something else to grill steak/burgers. The 340 seems just a tad too small. Do any of these really work for grilling in addition to smoking? Was hoping to have one grill and not have to buy another gas grill. I see new grills today as well, may look at the 410. Any thought on using to grill in addtio to smoking? Probably like 20% smoking and 80% grilling, although sure that could change once I start smoking some good meat. The 380 looked interesting, but the price just seems too high.
I went from a small Camp chef to a recteq. I have the 700 and my grill heats up quickly. Even in Ohio in the cold and snow, it holds temp . It takes about 10 mins to get to temp.
I also have the sear plates and they work grate, and even used to cook pizza on at a higher temp. I smoke, make pizza, bread, rolls, Mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, etc. haven’t used my oven in over a year since I got my 700. My only regret is not getting a bigger one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back