Help with 12 volt power inverter

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not an engineer, just someone who had to figure it out for my RV. First off, from my experience with the 340 the startup draw is only while the igniter is on, so it's just a minute or 2. That being the case I wouldn't let it enter into the calculation, but if you want to then
2 minutes @ 350w = 12w, 12w/12vdc=1 Ah
10 hrs @ 50w = 500w, 500w/12vdc=41.6 Ah
Total needed for 10 hr run = 42.6 Ah
Inverter overhead .5 A, .5 * 10 = 5 Ah (this may vary depending on the inverter, fwiw my rv inverter is 1000w and is 1.2A)
Total Ah required = 47.6 Ah

Inverters also have an efficiency rating, a 300w inverter may have an 80% efficiency, meaning it sucks in more power then it puts out. So if we use 80% (mine is 90%), you'd use another 9.5 Ah, or 57.12 Ah total

In general, it is suggested you keep battery draw down to 50% or less for the longest battery life. That being the case you need a Deep Cycle battery of at least 114 Ah

Chances are you won't find a 110 Ah battery that's affordable and if you did it might be too big to lug around. If you went with a Group 24 deep cycle you can get a 100 Ah which is manageable. You'll need to discharge it a bit beyond the 50% line, more like 60%, but that's not the end of the world for as little as you're likely to use it.

If you use MasterTech's numbers you'll see the 100 Ah battery would be fine.

I read somewhere that you should get an inverter that's 30% higher wattage then you figure you need. No idea why.

A quick note about inverters. The cheap ones usually have a lighter socket to plug it in with, those are only rated to 120-150w. You need to look for one that allows hard wiring or that has cable clamps on it, like this one. This is just the 1st one that came up with google. https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL2610-Gray-Power-Inverter/dp/B07CV3BZSB

I'll add the data for my RT 590 Stampede, just in case.
2.5 to 2.7 watts idle
I saw 280 watts peak once started
120 to 150 while it was running / heating up.
I had it set to extreme smoke, and once it reached temp the watts dropped significantly. As the fan cycled on, it jumped to 30, and off it was 2.5 to 3.

Hope this helps!

Let me just thro this info into the mix so people know it’s an option. I just saw on Reddit that someone used a yeti goal zero 400 to power a traeger for a 6hr cook

Hey all- so I bought a APC BackUPS-450 for $30 (on sale from $60!) at Staples. Nothing better than an actual test, so I am running with it right now. Started up fine, got the pellets lit- all good about 45 minutes in. I am betting the worst part is the start with the ceramic heater, so... all good!

It won't last long if the power goes out- I have two needs and the 2-3 minutes I think it can keep things going and avoiding the long and painful shut down cycle and restart. My needs are that my 700 runs on a circuit that is susceptible to the kids blowing the fuse with space heaters and hair dryers- and if we have a legit power outage before my home generator kicks in. This unit SHOULD bridge the gap for the generator (about 1 minute) and give me enough time to have my kids run in and say "we blew it again!".

Thought I'd share- again, it might be just a few minutes of coverage. MAYBE more like 20-30 minutes if the ceramic doesn't have to kick on and its just the fan, so thats good. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back