Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I apologize for posting this in the recteq forum, but I’m not on Facebook or other social media sites, and I’m looking for some assistance. My daughter’s dog is sick and in a vet hospital in Jax Florida. She thinks it is poisoned and she sent me this photo from her yard and the best I could come up with is that is a harmless Bella mushroom. Any ideas if this could be making her dog sIck? Suggestions welcome.
E5F6834E-EE5A-431F-83A8-45B3844FF873.jpeg

My dogs used to get sick if they ate the mushrooms at our old place……..typical yard shrooms as I thought. Just keep lots of water on hand for them. and no I’m not a vet nor do I play one on tv

I have no idea if this is true, but my father used to tell me that dogs, in general, are very smart about not eating natural substances that are poisonous. I hate to invoke this, but is there any chance someone could’ve poisoned her dog?

Hopefully, your daughter has shared this photo with the vet. Some dogs can have allergies to even mushrooms that typically don’t cause problems. I’m not a mushroom expert, so can’t help identify the one in the photo other than to say that there are some Portabella look-a likes that can be poisonous. Check this link: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2011722

I have no idea if this is true, but my father used to tell me that dogs, in general, are very smart about not eating natural substances that are poisonous. I hate to invoke this, but is there any chance someone could’ve poisoned her dog?
I would say unlikely. They don’t let her run loose, other than on bathroom breaks in her fenced back yard.

Hopefully, your daughter has shared this photo with the vet. Some dogs can have allergies to even mushrooms that typically don’t cause problems. I’m not a mushroom expert, so can’t help identify the one in the photo other than to say that there are some Portabella look-a likes that can be poisonous. Check this link: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2011722
Good resource-I’ll pass it on. Thanks!

@Greg Jones The are a lot of plants that are toxic to dogs. And any mushroom that isn't safe for humans probably isn't safe for a dog either. One of my dogs ate 2 azaleas bushes to the ground. He was quite sick for a while as they are toxic to dogs. A quick web search will give the names of common plants that are toxic for dogs.

Have your daughter try to identify what's growing in her yard and remove anything toxic, especially if the dog likes to chew.

I hope this helps and I hope he recovers soon!

@Greg Jones The are a lot of plants that are toxic to dogs. And any mushroom that isn't safe for humans probably isn't safe for a dog either. One of my dogs ate 2 azaleas bushes to the ground. He was quite sick for a while as they are toxic to dogs. A quick web search will give the names of common plants that are toxic for dogs.

Have your daughter try to identify what's growing in her yard and remove anything toxic, especially if the dog likes to chew.

I hope this helps and I hope he recovers soon!
Thank you! Very much appreciated.

The latest from my daughter:

’We were at the ER yesterday 8:30pm-2am… then saw her primary vet this morning and he immediately hospitalized her all day. Her liver enzymes are through the roof that he can’t even read them… Got her stabilized for now, and she will be at the hospital tomorrow too… he’s ruled out everything else (blockage, pancreatitis)’

Praying for the best.. 🙏🙏🙏🙏

I would be a complete utter mess in her situation and have been there with renal failure not too long ago. I don't know much about mushrooms but will remain optimistic for a full recovery.

Animals for sure are good about not eating naturally poisonous plants and such, I have doubts that is what occurred. I sure hope the vets get it figured out, and dogs DNA is of wolves, they have a very strong GI system compared to many animals. I would be a basket case, love my furbabies more than most humans I know or have ever known.

Please let us know how this turns out. We just lost one of our Miniature Schnauzers to an age-related health issue (She was 15 years old) and know the bond that humans have with their dogs. Wishing for the very best.
Please let us know how this turns out. We just lost one of our Miniature Schnauzers to an age-related health issue (She was 15 years old) and know the bond that humans have with their dogs. Wishing for the very best.
Appreciate that Jim. Three years ago I had to make the decision to put my wife’s dog to sleep while she was traveling on business. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.

So still no answer to what happened, but she’s much better tonight! Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers-we appreciate it! Don’t know why they put her in a cone of shame-it’s not like she was trying to chew on her leg? Thanks again!
View attachment 18100
They may have shaved a leg for an IV.

They may have shaved a leg for an IV.
A high probability given the seriousness of the dog’s condition. And, shaved spots itch, so chewing is pretty likely. If the “cone of shame prevents an additional problem, it will be well worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back