Help picking out my New Pellet Grill

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys possibly a new owner here. I'm not new to the BBQ game but new to pellets grills. I'm a huge weber fan boy. I own 11 kettles grills 1 Gasser and a weber smokey mountain and when I went to get a pellet grill, I wanted the weber smokefire but it's riddled with issues. I did my research, and I was set on a RT-700...but when I went to my local hardware store, they had a Traeger ironwood for a Hella deal and picked it up. Used it for 2 months and freaking died and customer service on their end was horrible. Well with weber I never had an issue with customer service, so I got the smokefire... and boy was I wrong this pellet grill worked great and then the problems started... reached out to customer service and that went downhill quick... so I'm in the process of returning it. AFTER MY RANT... here is my question.

So my budget is going to be $1300... looking at the RT700 The one thing I loved about the smoke fire when it worked I could both use it as a grill and smoker. I do have a set of grill grates. but I want to know how many of you guys use it as both. or is this mainly a low and slow machine... Or if the 700 can't do both Id likely go with the RT590 and the RT380.. Id like to save space so one pit would be ideal.. As for my weber collection. These are in storage and for my son when he gets older..

As for accessories for the units Im not a big shelf user so thats not important to me.

I bought the 700 and was happy with the way turned out both smoking (though a lighter smoke profile) and grilling. I didn’t care for having to take the meat off while the grill went from smoking temp to grilling temp. So I bought a 380 and boy am I happy with that as a grilling machine.

If you really want the best set up for smoking and grilling I’d recommend the 590/380 combo. Also with that combo you could use Weber accessories you have with the 380.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree with above. I have a 700 and a Bullseye and LOVE them both. The newer 700's have the better auger motor which allows higher temps and coming up to temp faster. I believe though the 590 has the same auger motor. So the 590 and 380 would be a great combo.

I agree with above. I have a 700 and a Bullseye and LOVE them both. The newer 700's have the better auger motor which allows higher temps and coming up to temp faster. I believe though the 590 has the same auger motor. So the 590 and 380 would be a great combo.
I just got off the phone with recteq they got the new auger motors and he said cast-iron heat shield so looks like the 700 for me

I am new to the forum as well as new to pellet grill/smokers. After a long research and looking at several other brands recteq was the one for us. We got the RT 700 and are very pleased! We have had it just over a month so we are in a bit of a learning curve going from an off set smoker/ grill to this. But over the weekend on the second time at t-bones we thought they we had great results. Pork steaks took two tries to get like we wanted as well but turned out great. We have cooked every weekend and during the week as well. Good luck and I hope you are pleased with your choice. So far the highest temp mine hit was 650 then I turned it down because I was finishing searing the steaks. The quality of these thing are outstanding! And you will have no problems with customer service with recteq.

Just to be different. I use the RT for low and slow and very high for pizza. To me its n oven with some smoke. I use the weber kettle for wings and when I want a charcoal taste, burns and steaks, sometimes. I use the Genesis when I'm in a hurry.

Try it out and see what works for you.

I am new to the forum as well as new to pellet grill/smokers. After a long research and looking at several other brands recteq was the one for us. We got the RT 700 and are very pleased! We have had it just over a month so we are in a bit of a learning curve going from an off set smoker/ grill to this. But over the weekend on the second time at t-bones we thought they we had great results. Pork steaks took two tries to get like we wanted as well but turned out great. We have cooked every weekend and during the week as well. Good luck and I hope you are pleased with your choice. So far the highest temp mine hit was 650 then I turned it down because I was finishing searing the steaks. The quality of these thing are outstanding! And you will have no problems with customer service with recteq.
I have been a 590 owner since July 2021. I couldn’t be happier. It is just my wife and I so the size is perfect for us and I can do some big party cooking if I need to. It retains the heat very well. There is a learning curve to understand smoke production but I think I have it dialed in now. I do have 2 smoke tubes that I use if I’m doing 3 butts or 2 briskets at the same time, I like the smoke flavor add-on. I use it a couple times a week. Weekends are reserved for big cooks if I’m not working. I contemplated the 700 for the bigger unit but I am glad I started with the 590 to understand how they work. They are constructed very, very well. Whatever product you decide to go with, your going to be impressed with the build. Good luck with your decision. It’s a great hobby.

I bought the 700 and was happy with the way turned out both smoking (though a lighter smoke profile) and grilling. I didn’t care for having to take the meat off while the grill went from smoking temp to grilling temp. So I bought a 380 and boy am I happy with that as a grilling machine.

If you really want the best set up for smoking and grilling I’d recommend the 590/380 combo. Also with that combo you could use Weber accessories you have with the 380.

Good luck with your decision.
I had both 590/380 combo. Very good combo. However, replaced them with 1070 ($1299 at the time) and now with range of 180/700 can do it all with smaller footprint and larger capacity. With added GrillGrates, the 1070 can do it all. Check it out.

I cooked for 58 years on Brinkman barrel grills ,weber bouy grills, a 50 gallon drum cut in half and a Texas smoker all wood or charcoal. Bought my RT 590 last November and have had a blast going thru the "learning "curve. Made the mistake of "over thinking things" and relying on apps and constant temps etc. Gave up and went back to cook by look and meat temp. So...you want smoke flavor ...add 2 hr. on low to your cook then go ahead and cook. Want to grill a nice smokey rib eye or burger just add that little smoke time to it take it off for a couple minutes and enjoy a beer while you crank the temp up. I don't even use those fancy grates. The whole time I'm adding the smokey goodness I have an old cast iron frying pan in there pre heating. then when I crank it up it's a short time till it's smoking. My biggest problem is now that I can cook on this darn thing wish I had bought a 700.

We have had the 700 for several years now and it is built like a tank! One thing that sometimes get lost in this forum is that you can use the RecTeq for everything! Think of it as a convection oven at the higher temperatures! We have not used our oven in months, we cook casseroles, quiche, pizza, etc.on the 700! My wife loves that she no longer has to heat up the kitchen!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back