Help me make up my damn mind... RT 700 or the 590?

So... I'm on the fence. It's just my wife and I and our new daughter. We occasionally cook for friends, but only like 2-4 people.

I'm about 75% convinced on the 700 for only $300 more... Anyways, thanks for taking the time! I look forward to being a part of the kick ass forum regardless of which one I choose.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Originally purchased the 700, love it but seems like a lot of wasted fuel. Or I was trying to find some more items to smoke. Purchased the 340, love it. Now I have one of each. So with that said, I wish I would have purchased the 590. Happy medium.

I spent a lot of time debating the same question. I finally went with the 590. Im retired and it’s just my wife and me. We rarely cook for more than the two of us. I’m glad I went the way I did. That being said, if I were young with a growing family and socialized a lot with friends, I would have gone with the 700.
The new 590”s vent system is a big turn off though. With no way to control the smoke, I wouldn’t buy that smoker today.

700....family of 4 but often cook for 10-12. I'm coming from a bullet and a Daniel Boone. I can totally see having the 1250 but the 700 should do me well enough though last week I did 5 salmon fillets and it was basically full, so it's not like the 700 is grossly huge.

So... I'm on the fence. It's just my wife and I and our new daughter. We occasionally cook for friends, but only like 2-4 people.

I'm about 75% convinced on the 700 for only $300 more... Anyways, thanks for taking the time! I look forward to being a part of the kick ass forum regardless of which one I choose.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF
I don't recall anyone ever saying that they wish they bought a smaller grill. Go with the 700! You'll never regret it.

Personally, I would tell you to do some more shopping, look at other brands. I bought a 590 a year ago and I'm giving it away because it's useless to me. I'm not saying they're all bad but the one I got absolutely would not perform how I needed it to in many different cooking styles. In the company's defense, they did everything they could to make it work right, but it never did.

Personally, I would tell you to do some more shopping, look at other brands. I bought a 590 a year ago and I'm giving it away because it's useless to me. I'm not saying they're all bad but the one I got absolutely would not perform how I needed it to in many different cooking styles. In the company's defense, they did everything they could to make it work right, but it never did.
I'll give you $100 for it.

Welcome to the Forum David:
I've always been of the belief; that a Grill is like a Gun Safe:
Buy the biggest one your budget just can't quite afford !
If you don't, you'll hate yourself when you run out of room
When you find that you can't fit even one more "Leadslinger" in your Gun Safe, you end up with a second one
BUT .... if you need more room on your (too) small Grill, you need to get yourself one of these:
Left Handed Grill Stretcher.jpg

A lefthanded Grill Stretcher !
So .... buy the Bull ;)

Originally purchased the 700, love it but seems like a lot of wasted fuel. Or I was trying to find some more items to smoke. Purchased the 340, love it. Now I have one of each. So with that said, I wish I would have purchased the 590. Happy medium.
Welcome to the Forum Wmazurka

I can see your dilemma​

We always fill our 700 up
Eat one, Vacu-Seal and freeze the rest
No wasted space or fuel ;)

Not entirely sure this was the place for such a testimonial. I'm a new owner, so not nearly a fanboy, but I'd feel strange making such a proclamation on a board like this unless there was proof of gross negligence (which you seem to have stated is not the case). I guess the smoker just isn't for you, no big deal.

Frankly though, setting aside something that just plain doesn't work, I've found that pellet grills don't differ much one brand to another (established brands), it's more about niggles. I've had a few now and frankly they are all about the same with slight variances.

OH, they damn well would have made it work right, or they'd have it sitting on their doorstep with a dispute coming via the CC company.

Now, if you misunderstood what pellet grills do, how they work, etc. that is different. I think many people believe them be excellent at both smoking and grilling.

IMHO, pellet grills are great, but they are a jack of all trades, master of none type device. Can they grill? Yep, but there are better ways to grill. Can they smoke? Yes, but a stick burner will give you more smoke.

That being said, they work well for what they do.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF
Do you live in northern climate? The 590s smaller chamber will be able to get hotter if needed during winter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back