Help me get this across the finish line!

Gary_M

OK, I'm sold, I'm in, I want the RT-700. It seems to be one of the best values at that price point, and the spiffy styling is the icing on the cake. :D

I just need that last bit of push to get approval from the ministry of acquisition of non-essential items. My wife likes BBQ, but not as much as me. She's more of a grilled steak, type. Which is fine, I have no problem with that. But my efforts to occasionally try for some smokey flavors on the gas grill are pretty lame as you can imagine.

She contends that with our limited patio space, the RT-700 would take up too much space, and therefore we would need to get rid of the gas grill. As a result, she is afraid that we would lose the ability to make great steaks the way that she likes them. My opinion is that we have enough room for both grills. :)

So, here are some questions, both about getting her onboard and some questions that I have as well:
  • Keep the gas grill for more flexibility? (Finishing steaks, chops, etc)
  • Can you cook a properly seared steak on the Bull?
  • Should I add the searing kit to my order?
  • Should I purchase the smoke box? (my wife loves smoked salmon and smoked cheeses)
  • Once ordered, how long does it take to arrive? (I'm in Northern Indiana, so I'm in the same half of the country as Recteq)
Thanks in advance, I hope to be joining in the fun soon.

My advice on your questions.

Yes, keep the gas grill for quick sear/quick cook items. the Bull is great but is very much a smoky oven. You would not cook a steak in an oven would you? If you like thin steaks that makes keeping the gasser even more important. If you like really thick steaks though, the "reverse sear" with the bull is my preferred way to cook steaks and chops. Low heat and smoke until an internal of 125 then a quick sear on the grill (charcoal weber in my case). I have seen success with the sear kit in the bull, but it really seems like a lot of work and pellets to get the desired effect. The bull takes a long time to get up to searing temps.

As far as the smoker box, I dont have one and cannot see the need for one. You can cold smoke in the main chamber with a smoking tube (it works really well actually). From what I can see, the smoker box probably works well, but again uses more pellets than needed to get smoke on. My POV is its overkill. YMMV.

1) Tell wife that you will get rid of the gas grill when the Bull arrives, conveniently forget to do so.
2) I like the sear kit but you can use the gas grill.

her gery i do not currently have the grill grate sear kit or the smoke box and i picked my grill up at rec teq. but i can tell you this. i smoke my stakes at 200 with the included meat probes stuck in until i hit 110 takes about 45-55min then take them off the grill and crank it to max. once it gets hot i put them back on and grill until 125 then i flip and finish it off at 135. me and my wife agree no steak house can compare to the flavor of the steaks we cook. the smoke flavor is mild compared to doing pulled pork but it is absolutely there and taste incredible man. she will love your steaks. i gave my gas grill away!

Ah, your mistake is assuming it is a non-essential item!
I kept a gas grill and Bradley smoker for nearly a year, and never took the covers off of them, so they went away. I do reverse sear steaks on the sear kit, and do burgers on there too. Smoker box is superfluous imho. Get a smoke tube and save the dinero.
My Bull arrived in San Diego in 9 days. My Wyldeside is going to take 2.5 weeks. It sat on a dock in Atlanta for 4 days, and I missed the delivery-scheduling call during dinner last night, so I must wait until Monday now.:cautious:

I would keep the gasser and get the sear kit. It elevates your sear game on the gas grill and definitely saves some time if you're gonna sear on the Bull.

My advice on your questions.

Yes, keep the gas grill for quick sear/quick cook items. the Bull is great but is very much a smoky oven. You would not cook a steak in an oven would you? If you like thin steaks that makes keeping the gasser even more important. If you like really thick steaks though, the "reverse sear" with the bull is my preferred way to cook steaks and chops. Low heat and smoke until an internal of 125 then a quick sear on the grill (charcoal weber in my case). I have seen success with the sear kit in the bull, but it really seems like a lot of work and pellets to get the desired effect. The bull takes a long time to get up to searing temps.

As far as the smoker box, I dont have one and cannot see the need for one. You can cold smoke in the main chamber with a smoking tube (it works really well actually). From what I can see, the smoker box probably works well, but again uses more pellets than needed to get smoke on. My POV is its overkill. YMMV.
Sounds like good advice. We generally buy our steaks cut thick, so your method may be the way to go. I'll try to stop looking at the smoker box. ;)

1) Tell wife that you will get rid of the gas grill when the Bull arrives, conveniently forget to do so.
Roger that, sounds like my usual procedure, LOL... plead ignorance or stupidity, whichever works for the situation.

her gery i do not currently have the grill grate sear kit or the smoke box and i picked my grill up at rec teq. but i can tell you this. i smoke my stakes at 200 with the included meat probes stuck in until i hit 110 takes about 45-55min then take them off the grill and crank it to max. once it gets hot i put them back on and grill until 125 then i flip and finish it off at 135. me and my wife agree no steak house can compare to the flavor of the steaks we cook. the smoke flavor is mild compared to doing pulled pork but it is absolutely there and taste incredible man. she will love your steaks. i gave my gas grill away!
Noted, I'll keep this in mind! :)

Ah, your mistake is assuming it is a non-essential item!
I kept a gas grill and Bradley smoker for nearly a year, and never took the covers off of them, so they went away. I do reverse sear steaks on the sear kit, and do burgers on there too. Smoker box is superfluous imho. Get a smoke tube and save the dinero.
My Bull arrived in San Diego in 9 days. My Wyldeside is going to take 2.5 weeks. It sat on a dock in Atlanta for 4 days, and I missed the delivery-scheduling call during dinner last night, so I must wait until Monday now.:cautious:
To be clear, my wife is the one that puts the pellet grill in the non-essential category... not me! :D I think once we get it, she'll love it... it's just this last nudge over the edge, so to speak. Good info on the shipping, not too bad to the West coast!

I would keep the gasser and get the sear kit. It elevates your sear game on the gas grill and definitely saves some time if you're gonna sear on the Bull.
Got it!

Thanks for all the responses! I'll ditch the smoker box, and pick up the sear kit. Seems like the current pellet deal is pretty OK, so I may do that.

Anyone know if any other promotions are coming up? Or new product announcements? With my luck they will announce some incredible new feature the day after mine ships.

Keep the gas grill. There are times you just don't want to wait for the RT to get to searing temp. I put the steaks on the RT @ 225 until 110 then have the gasser, with GrillGrates, preheated to searing hot. Steaks go straight from the RT to the gasser, no delay. Plus with the gasser, you can do high heat cooks while you do a low and slow on the RT. I would not want to do without both. Good luck!!

recteq says they will introduce something new at recteq fest may 22. no idea what that means. im sure they will keep making a 700 size class grill though

Keep the gasser for the final searing for sure.. the Bull can do it but takes too much time in between increasing when you can have both fired and ready to take & put on. Defiantly get the sear plates but for the gasser.. I use my Bull plates right on the grates of my gasser.. they never move now regardless of what I cook. Just finishes everything the best or if I use the gasser for burgers or chicken I keep the sear plates on still.

Prepare to take over all cooking duties once she tastes some the Bull's goodness. Reverse seared steaks are our faves also.

I have the Bull with the sear plates. I love the reverse sear process, but you can crank the RT-700 up with the sear plates & cook your steaks in the usual way with excellent results. The pic below is pork chops cooked at 500 degrees for 6 min per side. Naturally, steaks would not take as long.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Well, its been a few weeks now. I continued to plead my case with the finance committee, and I finally had a breakthrough last night. I'm not sure what changed, but she's all for it. In fact, she insisted that we add the competition cart to the order... who am I to argue, right?

I'll be honest, I think it's a trap... :LOL: Regardless, I'm not hesitating and I just put in our order for the Bull, shelf, cart, sear kit and pellet bundle this morning.

Let the wait begin!

OK, I'm sold, I'm in, I want the RT-700. It seems to be one of the best values at that price point, and the spiffy styling is the icing on the cake. :D

I just need that last bit of push to get approval from the ministry of acquisition of non-essential items. My wife likes BBQ, but not as much as me. She's more of a grilled steak, type. Which is fine, I have no problem with that. But my efforts to occasionally try for some smokey flavors on the gas grill are pretty lame as you can imagine.

She contends that with our limited patio space, the RT-700 would take up too much space, and therefore we would need to get rid of the gas grill. As a result, she is afraid that we would lose the ability to make great steaks the way that she likes them. My opinion is that we have enough room for both grills. :)

So, here are some questions, both about getting her onboard and some questions that I have as well:
  • Keep the gas grill for more flexibility? (Finishing steaks, chops, etc)
  • Can you cook a properly seared steak on the Bull?
  • Should I add the searing kit to my order?
  • Should I purchase the smoke box? (my wife loves smoked salmon and smoked cheeses)
  • Once ordered, how long does it take to arrive? (I'm in Northern Indiana, so I'm in the same half of the country as Recteq)
Thanks in advance, I hope to be joining in the fun soon.
I have the RT 590 and the RT 340. I kept the 340 for when I want veggies or something cooked at a different temp than what I have on the 590. I recommend keeping the gas grill for versatility, but you'll rarely use it once you get going on the 700.
As far as the steaks: SERIOUSLY, the recteq at 450 degrees with the seer kit, you can't get much better.
Someone mentioned a smokey oven...I disagree. I haven't turned my oven on since Thanksgiving and that was just for green beans and yams because I had a turkey, ham and other stuff in both recteqs.
So, yes, get the seer kit. I don't think the smoke box is "necessary", but it's nice to have. You can make GREAT food without it. In northern Indiana...skip the smoke box and get the grill cover, seer kit and internal rack. Maybe later add the smoke box.
I live in Augusta just down the road from recteq, so I can't comment on delivery time.
RECTEQ FEST TODAY!

TBH, I would loose the gasser and get the Bullseye to compliment the Bull (RT-700). For $400 TYD you can't beat the Bullseye for weekday cooks and searing steaks and such like shrimp on a skewer.

I have both the RT-700 and the Bullseye with three years now for experience. With the Bullseye you can place wood chunks over the perforated holes of the heat deflector plate for all the delicious smoke flavor you could want at the higher temps. You want be able to do a lot of smoke on the Bull at higher temps.

Yes, you can cook steaks on the Bull, but the Bullseye is much, much faster and gets much hotter faster for those and pork chops, etc. I cook two whole chickens on my Bullseye often. It is just faster to heat up during the weekdays and will reach 600° and fairly fast, too.

I would also skip the sear kit for the Bull and get the sear kit for the Bullseye instead. But, I do use my 700 sear kit on my Bullseye with corners removed.

The RT-700 I wouldn't be without either. I do butts and briskets overnight on it. Typically two to three at a time to save on pellets and time. I vacuum seal the extras for quick meals later on by heating in the bags on stove top in just under boiling water. You cannot tell the difference from day one.

The Bull is also great for full meal cooks where side dishes can be cooked along with the meats.

In short, both together is all you'll ever need and are a winning combination.

Well, its been a few weeks now. I continued to plead my case with the finance committee, and I finally had a breakthrough last night. I'm not sure what changed, but she's all for it. In fact, she insisted that we add the competition cart to the order... who am I to argue, right?

I'll be honest, I think it's a trap... :LOL: Regardless, I'm not hesitating and I just put in our order for the Bull, shelf, cart, sear kit and pellet bundle this morning.

Let the wait begin!
It's not a trap, you'll just be slaving over a hot grill for the remainder of your life.

TBH, I would loose the gasser and get the Bullseye to compliment the Bull (RT-700). For $400 TYD you can't beat the Bullseye for weekday cooks and searing steaks and such like shrimp on a skewer.

I have both the RT-700 and the Bullseye with three years now for experience. With the Bullseye you can place wood chunks over the perforated holes of the heat deflector plate for all the delicious smoke flavor you could want at the higher temps. You want be able to do a lot of smoke on the Bull at higher temps.

Yes, you can cook steaks on the Bull, but the Bullseye is much, much faster and gets much hotter faster for those and pork chops, etc. I cook two whole chickens on my Bullseye often. It is just faster to heat up during the weekdays and will reach 600° and fairly fast, too.

I would also skip the sear kit for the Bull and get the sear kit for the Bullseye instead. But, I do use my 700 sear kit on my Bullseye with corners removed.

The RT-700 I wouldn't be without either. I do butts and briskets overnight on it. Typically two to three at a time to save on pellets and time. I vacuum seal the extras for quick meals later on by heating in the bags on stove top in just under boiling water. You cannot tell the difference from day one.

The Bull is also great for full meal cooks where side dishes can be cooked along with the meats.

In short, both together is all you'll ever need and are a winning combination.
Great advice!

LOL, I told my wife I would sell the Primo XL 400 after I got the bull, I never mentioned it again. I guess someone is coming to pick up the Primo tonight. She can be sneaky sometimes, She got a decent price for it and now that I have the Bull I doubt I would have used it again anyways. :giggle:

LOL, I told my wife I would sell the Primo XL 400 after I got the bull, I never mentioned it again. I guess someone is coming to pick up the Primo tonight. She can be sneaky sometimes, She got a decent price for it and now that I have the Bull I doubt I would have used it again anyways. :giggle:
My Bull is approaching its second birthday, never used my BGE after buying the Bull. I gave the egg to my son-in-law this spring and he’s quite pleased with it.

Yup.. not a trap. Too late for that brother. Sounds like she is one step ahead of you. Either way.. like others said.. you both will enjoy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back