RT-1070 HELP!!! Insulation Grill Jacket for RT-1070

Fortanbary

I just purchased an RT-1070 and realized I need something to insulate the grill from my combustible cabinet made from wood and hardieboard. I called RT and they said they don't carry anything like this and basically, good luck finding one. I have already had the structure built with the grill cut-out specs that will be an exact fit. I need something to keep this from setting my cooking station on fire. Any recommendations?

Pic?
Is it still going to be outside, exposed to rain/snow?
If you have an exact fit already, seems the most you can do is add sheet metal.

Pic?
Is it still going to be outside, exposed to rain/snow?
If you have an exact fit already, seems the most you can do is add sheet metal.

Outdoor area.jpg

Have you read the installation instructions? This is what they say:

”1070 Built-In Warnings

“Surrounding materials need to be non-flammable and meet local building codes.

“Do not seal grill into place, cover front vents, or close off rear vents when sliding grill into place, doing so will keep the grill from operating correctly.

“Leave approximately a 1” to 2” gap between the rear vents and building material.”

I’m thinking you may have to modify your cabinetry to make this work.

Have you read the installation instructions? This is what they say:

”1070 Built-In Warnings

“Surrounding materials need to be non-flammable and meet local building codes.

“Do not seal grill into place, cover front vents, or close off rear vents when sliding grill into place, doing so will keep the grill from operating correctly.

“Leave approximately a 1” to 2” gap between the rear vents and building material.”

I’m thinking you may have to modify your cabinetry to make this work.
I think you are right...darn it.

I think you are right...darn it.
I hate it when it looks like I am right in situations like this. :rolleyes: That never happens when my spouse is involved. ;)

OTOH, at least you have discovered the problem before setting your new outdoor kitchen afire. Good luck.

Line the bottom with firebricks, sides with metal or diamondplate. It would only raise your grill 1.25".

Line the bottom with firebricks, sides with metal or diamondplate. It would only raise your grill 1.25".
The problem with using metal on the sides is that it has little insulating properties; it transfers heat to the adjoining structure. What is needed is fireproof insulating board (aka fire board or chimney board) to keep the heat from transferring to the adjacent wood structure.

It may be feasible to increase the clearance slightly in the cutout for the grill to allow use of 1/2” fire board. I think that would be my first option.

Last edited:
FYI, I used to build built-in BBQ enclosures and as C.Keeper said "cement board is your friend". It is the best material for a wooden enclosure and is fire proof.

Just my .02

Check this out...I found this and ordered some just to see how it might fit. Ceramic Fiber Paper

https://sealwiz.com/product/ceramic..._pa_width=48&attribute_pa_order-by=short-roll

CeraTex® 3170 Ceramic Fiber Paper is an alumino-silicate ceramic fiber-based non-woven fabric. It is manufactured through a special paper-making process with high purity washed fibers, suitable for high temperature insulation up to 2300°F.

Main Characteristics and Properties​

White color, light-weight, flexible, good handling strength and good uniformity
Resists temperature as high as 2300º F, fire resistant
Low thermal conductivity, low heat storage, thermal shock resistant
Good dielectric strength
Excellent corrosion resistance (Resistant to most chemicals except hydrofluoric, phosphoric acids and concentrated alkalies)
Good for die-cut and automatic stamping
Density 12 lb/cu.ft
Tensile Strength: 100 PSI
LOI: < 9%
Working Temperature :1,800 °F. for Continuous Use, 2300 °F Maximum
Specific Heat (@2000°F): 0.27 Btu/lb °F

Product Applications​

Insulation, lining and gasket for furnace, kiln, oven, stove, boiler and appliance;
Wrapping for high temperature pipe or metal casting;
Aerospace insulation, protection and shields;
Thermal insulation, gasket, seal, separator for ceramic and glass melting applications
Fire protection, spark and molten metal protection
High temperature electrical insulation
High temperature filtration
Seal, gasket or protection for other high temperature applications

Check this out...I found this and ordered some just to see how it might fit. Ceramic Fiber Paper

https://sealwiz.com/product/ceramic..._pa_width=48&attribute_pa_order-by=short-roll

CeraTex® 3170 Ceramic Fiber Paper is an alumino-silicate ceramic fiber-based non-woven fabric. It is manufactured through a special paper-making process with high purity washed fibers, suitable for high temperature insulation up to 2300°F.

Main Characteristics and Properties​

White color, light-weight, flexible, good handling strength and good uniformity
Resists temperature as high as 2300º F, fire resistant
Low thermal conductivity, low heat storage, thermal shock resistant
Good dielectric strength
Excellent corrosion resistance (Resistant to most chemicals except hydrofluoric, phosphoric acids and concentrated alkalies)
Good for die-cut and automatic stamping
Density 12 lb/cu.ft
Tensile Strength: 100 PSI
LOI: < 9%
Working Temperature :1,800 °F. for Continuous Use, 2300 °F Maximum
Specific Heat (@2000°F): 0.27 Btu/lb °F

Product Applications​

Insulation, lining and gasket for furnace, kiln, oven, stove, boiler and appliance;
Wrapping for high temperature pipe or metal casting;
Aerospace insulation, protection and shields;
Thermal insulation, gasket, seal, separator for ceramic and glass melting applications
Fire protection, spark and molten metal protection
High temperature electrical insulation
High temperature filtration
Seal, gasket or protection for other high temperature applications
Interesting stuff! Since it has “low thermal conductivity” and “low heat storage,” it just might work for you. If you go this route, please keep us informed on how it works out. There may be others who could benefit from your experience. Good luck.

Fortanbary, any thoughts on the ceramic fiber paper?​

I have the 1070 with cabinet underneath and it is set in between two wooden cabinets so it looks kind of like a built in but can roll in and out. I wasn't planning to roll it in and out much but station is exposed, thus needs the cover. The only real way I have found to get the cover on is to roll it out, put cover on, and roll it back in. I noticed burn marks on the wooden cabinets in the shape of the grill the other day when I rolled it out.
Anybody have thoughts on this? Cabinets are 30" apart which is what the installation guide recommends.

It’s not going to work with that tight clearance, which is what this thread is about. As mentioned above, the installation guide also says:

‘Surrounding materials need to be non-flammable and meet local building codes.’

Gotcha. Ok. We had someone build the cabinets around the space. He said he can separate the cabinets and add cement board. Would a total of 31" with 3/8" cement board work?

Gotcha. Ok. We had someone build the cabinets around the space. He said he can separate the cabinets and add cement board. Would a total of 31" with 3/8" cement board work?
I’m not an expert on this, but 1/2“ cement board was mentioned above. Even if that does work, you still are not going to get the cover on/off without pulling it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back