Help - chuck roast isn't done yet.

Joe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I put a 9.5lb chuck roast on last night at midnight at 225 degrees. It’s supposed to take 1.5 hours per lb to 2 hours per lb.
It is 8:30AM and it’s already at 160 degrees.
Dinner is not until 6:00PM tonight.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I bet you hit a stall anytime now. That's a big hunk of meat. In fact, I've never seen a chuck roast that big. Could stall for hours. When done, just wrap it and hold in a cooler wrapped in towels or a warm oven. It will be fine.

I bet you hit a stall anytime now. That's a big hunk of meat. In fact, I've never seen a chuck roast that big. Could stall for hours. When done, just wrap it and hold in a cooler wrapped in towels or a warm oven. It will be fine.
Thank you for replying. Do you think we should wrap it now in foil and towels put in cooler and finish in oven?
I have no idea how the temp got this high this quick. Temp history show holding 225 very consistently throughout the night.

8.5 hrs to get to the stall at 225º is about normal. You could wrap it and continue to cook it but lower the temp and when it is at temp put it in a cooler to rest.

Hi Thor,

What temp do you recommend? I have already double wrapped in aluminum and put in cooler. Should I put back in Rectec?

So Joe, what was the temperature when you pulled it? If you are still in the 160's, you may want to put it back on. You could be in a stall for many hours. A big chuck roast can be smoked like a brisket, going over 200 degrees internal depending on tenderness. After that it can sit for hours in the cooler. There are a few previous posts in the forum discussing it.

I’d put in the fridge. And 2 hours before dinner throw it in the over wrapped. Cook for an hour and rest on the counter. T

So Joe, what was the temperature when you pulled it? If you are still in the 160's, you may want to put it back on. You could be in a stall for many hours. A big chuck roast can be smoked like a brisket, going over 200 degrees internal depending on tenderness. After that it can sit for hours in the cooler. There are a few previous posts in the forum discussing it.
Hi Beach Bum,
I just put it back on at 225 and the current temp reading is 150. When I put the temp probes the meat felt tender. What temp do you suggest I hit before pulling it off the grill?

Here is a guide for you.

The ideal temperature of a properly smoked chuck roast is no less than 160 degrees F for medium to 190 to 200 degrees F for well done. The internal temperature of the chuck roast can increase by 10 degrees even after it’s been removed from the smoker, so keep that in mind. If the internal temperature is 190 degrees F when you take it off the smoker, it may rise to an optimal 200 degrees F, perfect! Any hotter than that and could overcook your chuck roast, which results in dry, chewy meat.

190 is more sliceable
200-205 is pull apart

just my 2 cents

Here is a guide for you.

The ideal temperature of a properly smoked chuck roast is no less than 160 degrees F for medium to 190 to 200 degrees F for well done. The internal temperature of the chuck roast can increase by 10 degrees even after it’s been removed from the smoker, so keep that in mind. If the internal temperature is 190 degrees F when you take it off the smoker, it may rise to an optimal 200 degrees F, perfect! Any hotter than that and could overcook your chuck roast, which results in dry, chewy meat.

190 is more sliceable
200-205 is pull apart

just my 2 cents
Here is a guide for you.

190 is more sliceable
200-205 is pull apart

just my 2 cents
Thank you. I’ll let you know how it turn out. Y’all are the best. Thanks again for all your help.

Joe

Just got a 590, and chuck roast is on my list of things to try. Hope it all works out well, Joe!

I put a 9.5lb chuck roast on last night at midnight at 225 degrees. It’s supposed to take 1.5 hours per lb to 2 hours per lb.
It is 8:30AM and it’s already at 160 degrees.
Dinner is not until 6:00PM tonight.
Does anyone have any ideas?
HUH? Where in the world did you find a 9lb chuck? The biggest I have ever seen was around 4lbs.

Photos please......

HUH? Where in the world did you find a 9lb chuck? The biggest I have ever seen was around 4lbs.

Photos please......
Ordered it from M&M Freezer Locker. I’d love to send you the photos but 8 people put a big hurtin on it. 😂😂😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back