Stampede Help Again

geauxfish24

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Started a 9lb pork butt last night at 7pm cst. Got to 160 and wrapped around mindnight. Got to 200 internal at 415am which was way faster than I had anticipated. Pulled it off and it’s in towels in a cooler.

Planning on eating around 11am. Should I just keep it in the cooler or maybe put back on low heat to warm back up for a little while?

Hi. If you plan to pull it, I'd leave it wrapped up in the cooler until about an hour before you eat. Once you take it out and unwrap it (should still be warm to hot depending how good your cooler is,) pour off and reserve the juice, and pull away! You can use the juice to add back in later, or as a dip.
Ed

Planning on eating around 11am. Should I just keep it in the cooler or maybe put back on low heat to warm back up for a little while?
You’ll be fine. Just leave it wrapped in the cooler. I guaranty it will be still too hot to touch at 1030/1045 when you pull it to eat at 11.

There are a lot of variables, as was noted one is the effectiveness of the cooler. Health experts will tell us that if it drops below 140 degrees it becomes an excellent breeding ground for bacteria. Plenty of folks will blissfully tell you they've eaten lots of food that's dropped below that point and are here to tell about it. And while they're likely not lying, they may not also know why. If it drops below that temp for say 15 min before serving you're probably not in very much jeopardy, 4 hours before could be a problem. You should at least check to see where you are temp wise and make your own call within your risk tolerance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back