Help a new guy with wings...

Stratmeister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok, got my Bull, seasoned and ready to burn. So I figured I’d start with something easy, wings. Holy Recteq, there’s nothing easy here.

I've been smoking for years with a kettle or UDS using charcoal. I’ve got that down pretty good.

But I figured I read a few recipes and get some hints at pellet cooking. I’m more confused now then ever.

I saw recipes say 225, others at 275, some at 350, even a couple at 400. Cooking time ranged from 20 minutes to 2 hours, lol. What the heck? I know it’s not a science but c’mon there’s got to be some agreement...

So I want crispy, read about corn starch yada yada. 250 for 30, bump to 375 to finish. Sheesh.
What do you guys do?

Tjat was the first thing I cooked on the one I got this week also this is what i did and they come out perfect it the 0 to 60 method for 1 hr they came out perfect

I use corn starch. It helps a lot. Then again, I do mine on a gas grill. Don't feel bad, I haven't gotten the smoker/wing thing down yet either

I am currently experimenting with the same. I won't give up until I perfect it.

I come from a offset barrel smoker where I would finish the wings over the firebox on a grate. 1 min per side after a 225 smoke until they hit 175 degrees.

Now I have tried a few methods. Tonight was the closest I have come yet. Still needs a little tinkering to perfect, but damn they were good. I use red-hot seasoning, a small amount of chicken rub (your choice) and corn starch. I use a 50/50 mix of seasoning to corn starch ratio. Wash the wings, dry off, and usually let stand for 30 min (sometimes uncovered in the fridge for up to 3 hours depending on fridge space and able to avoid cross contamination). Anyways, put the seasoning on heavy, then put the wings on a cold grill. Start your Bull and set for 400. In about 45 min the wings will hit 175 and you will have wings that are to die for.

Next time I am going to hit the wings with my wing sauce (equal parts red-hot and butter in a spray bottle) then put the grill to 500 and see how they turn out.

Good luck on your wing adventure.

I marinate wings in Zesty Italian salad dressing over night. Cook at 250 for two hours. Brush with more dressing at one hour. Easy and sooooo good.

There are many ways to cook wings, and none of them are wrong. Most ways will turn out very good to great wings, few will fail. My method--Wash, dry then season the wings. I also add 1tbsp corn starch to the seasoning, for about 15-18 wings. Smoke at 225 for 1 hour, then turn up the grill to 275 for about 45 min. Finally I take the wings off and toss them in sauce in a bowl, then return to the grill at 350 for about 15 min. Keep an eye on them on this last stage as they can get overdone quickly if you let them go a couple minutes too long. All I can say is my whole family loves them, even my wife who eats minimal meat.

0 to 400 method. Make sure wings are dry, season them. Put on Bull, turn on set to 400 for one hour or so checking at 50 minutes. I don’t do starch, some do, each their own.

Well I did my first wings on the Bull. To those who say there’s no way to do them wrong... wrong.

Frozen wings thawed completely, dried, season with rub. Turn on the grill, set to 400, put wings on. At about 50 minutes internal read 160-ish so I pulled them. They looked good but were tough and some undercooked. Skin mostly good but some rubbery. Turned wife off for sure and the next batch will be for me only, lol...

Bad technique or bad wings?

Well I did my first wings on the Bull. To those who say there’s no way to do them wrong... wrong.

Frozen wings thawed completely, dried, season with rub. Turn on the grill, set to 400, put wings on. At about 50 minutes internal read 160-ish so I pulled them. They looked good but were tough and some undercooked. Skin mostly good but some rubbery. Turned wife off for sure and the next batch will be for me only, lol...

Bad technique or bad wings?
The last time I did wings I made it a point to cook both frozen and fresh wings. The frozen wings went in the trash. YMMV

I have only cooked fresh. All the frozen I have seen looked terrible. Around here frozen wings look like a chicken sat on a hand grenade. Just a nasty mishmash of parts.....

Do fresh only and cook them longer. Hard to over cook wings. Go to 175-185. They’ll be much better.
For sure. I typically go at least 185 and they are always juicy still. From what I understand, due to the higher fat content, they can withstand the higher temps and not dry out. I use Costco wing packs all the time, both previously frozen and fresh and more often than not they come out great. I pay them dry, put a small amount of corn starch and seasoning on them and smoke at 180 for and hour, turn up to 400 and take em off when they are 185-190. Skin has been crispy every time.
I’m sure you will find your groove with them too! Good luck!

I use Butt Rub, Tony's Chacherie Creole Seasoning or Jerk season.. I add about a table spoon of baking soda and then mix it all up in a bowl. Smoke at 220 or 225 for 45 to an hour then crank it to 400 for 30-40. Voila great smoked wings . I have a friend who runs it up to 450 . I find you have to watch the wings if you do that to keep them from burning on the grill side down.

I use Butt Rub, Tony's Chacherie Creole Seasoning or Jerk season.. I add about a table spoon of baking soda and then mix it all up in a bowl. Smoke at 220 or 225 for 45 to an hour then crank it to 400 for 30-40. Voila great smoked wings . I have a friend who runs it up to 450 . I find you have to watch the wings if you do that to keep them from burning on the grill side down.
Baking soda??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back