Help a new guy with wings...

I have just used Arm and Hammer ...the stuff in the yellow box .
Hopefully not this

5279847.jpeg

From what I have read "they say" baking soda is going to give you a metallic taste to the wings, don't know I allways use baking powder or cornstarch on my smoked wings.

Last edited:
I would think powder instead of soda would be correct to use for wings since it has the acid already in the mix to provide the leavening reaction. Soda is a much stronger ingredient and can indeed cause a metallic taste especially when baking.
But what do I know I’ve never tried either one...

I think "powder" without aluminum is suggested.

While both products appear similar, they're certainly not the same. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, which requires an acid and a liquid to become activated and help baked goods rise. Conversely, baking powder includes sodium bicarbonate, as well as an acid. It only needs a liquid to become activated.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but there is a reason all the wing places deep fry their wings. If you want truly crispy skin, nothing beats a swim in hot fat. There are several recipes floating around the net for smoking then frying if you want the best of both worlds (and all the extra work that goes along with it).

There are several recipes floating around the net for smoking then frying if you want the best of both worlds (and all the extra work that goes along with it).
I do this on Thanksgiving with my whole turkeys, I use my Primo XL for some heavy smoke for an hour or so then drop it in the oil until it’s finished. They are amazing.

So I have been experimenting with this both in the oven and on the bull. I have tried 3 methods of prep following some cooking tips off the internet. 1) Pat dry let air dry on rack for 30 minutes 2) Pat dry and dust with Baking soda/corn starch 3) Par-boil. For cooking I have tried 3 methods as well. 1) Cook at 200 for 1.5-2 hours (to internal temp) 2) Ramp up: start 30-45 min at 180, ramp to 275 for 45 min. 3) Heat: 1 hour at 250-275.

Always making sure to hit 165-180 internal temp held for minimum 5-10 minutes. I did this and sauced afterwards and mostly this worked great.

But I tried 1 more combo which I think did the trick which is 1) Pat dry + 2) Ramp up: start 30-45 min at 180, ramp to 275-300 for 45 min. + during the last 45 minutes I used a vegetable oil cooking spray and lightly sprayed the wings.

You might think this add's fat but I got to be honest it was some of the crispiest smoked wings I have made. Drying the skin out is great but to get a nice crispy skin trapping in the moisture light oven frying does the trick.

So I have been experimenting with this both in the oven and on the bull. I have tried 3 methods of prep following some cooking tips off the internet. 1) Pat dry let air dry on rack for 30 minutes 2) Pat dry and dust with Baking soda/corn starch 3) Par-boil. For cooking I have tried 3 methods as well. 1) Cook at 200 for 1.5-2 hours (to internal temp) 2) Ramp up: start 30-45 min at 180, ramp to 275 for 45 min. 3) Heat: 1 hour at 250-275.

Always making sure to hit 165-180 internal temp held for minimum 5-10 minutes. I did this and sauced afterwards and mostly this worked great.

But I tried 1 more combo which I think did the trick which is 1) Pat dry + 2) Ramp up: start 30-45 min at 180, ramp to 275-300 for 45 min. + during the last 45 minutes I used a vegetable oil cooking spray and lightly sprayed the wings.

You might think this add's fat but I got to be honest it was some of the crispiest smoked wings I have made. Drying the skin out is great but to get a nice crispy skin trapping in the moisture light oven frying does the trick.
So 1.5 hrs total cooking time approximately. What IT are you shooting for? Thanks!

So 1.5 hrs total cooking time approximately. What IT are you shooting for? Thanks!
I put it in there, you want to hit an internal temp of 165 for at least 5-10 minutes before pulling. Truthfully I have pulled them before right when they hit 165, but since I sauce them right away I worry that it will drop the internal temp too fast. Hence I try to make sure that once I measure 165, I shut the lid for another 5-10 minutes making sure they are at a maintained minimum 165 before I start tossing them in sauce. Of course temp times will vary on feed settings, ambient temp, how tight the chamber is and wind speed.

I should also preface if you are doing Dino legs your time may sky rocket, I was talking your regular drummies 3-5 inch length. I have tried several cuts, from buying the bigbox store frozen wings, to buying fresh legs and breaking down myself. I recommend fresh if possible and break down the wing's - fresher is better!

I have not done wings yet, but wife wanting some. Do you guys put on just put on grill or use a mesh mat?
I would be concerned about the meat sticking to the grill.
ALSO do you turn or just leave on one side?

IF you go the additives route it's Baking Powder without Aluminum.

I don't use it though. I thaw frozen wings, sometimes they're not even all the way thawed. I crank up to 450F toss them on with the "skin side" up, check at 20 mins out of curiosity, check at 40 mins to see how crispy. If crispy pull, if not quite give a few more minutes.

I do the lazy version of Kenji's recipe from Serious Eats. The Bull at these temps is a convection oven.
The Science
The Recipe

10 times less effort than fried.

Warning: if you don't use the mats they will stick some with this method, but it's no biggie, I just used a griddle scraper to unstick and move on to the sauce bowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back