Hello to the community, from Squerly in NC.

Squerly

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello, new member Squerly here. I was referred to this forum by a friend, Jim6820. I own a small RV park in Franklin, NC and I’m looking to put a pellet smoker in our pavilion for our visitors to use. I don’t want a cheap unit, would rather pay more up front, and get something that will hold up vs buying something that I will have to replace every couple of years. My son bought a Pit Boss a couple of years ago and he’s already replacing parts. Don’t want to do that if I don’t have to.

We also are looking to install a wood fired pizza oven, but while I was browsing the Recteq offerings, I saw that they have a pizza over attachment as well. So, I’m wondering, does anyone here have one and if so, how do you like it? I’d really like to not have to keep a gas bottle filled, but if it’s worth it, then I will.

Thank you in advance for any advice or ideas the community can pass my way.

Squerly

Hey, Squerly; welcome aboard!. Good to see you here. Lots of good folks on this forum and a few crazy ones (like me) too. :ROFLMAO:

I’m not aware of an actual Recteq pizza accessory, but some folks have adapted a Green Mountain Grill pizza accessory to their Recteq grills, apparently with good success. I am not one of them, however; haven’t done that…yet. Here’s a link to a thread on the forum that describes doing that.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/pizza-oven-attachment.1516/

Last edited:
Welcome! RecTeq does not offer a pizza accessory to my knowledge. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet.

Interesting idea for your RV park, I would suggest you buy one first to get your arms around it. I might buy 2 or 3 instead of buying just one.

If you are looking for a grill, maybe get some Bullseyes, they are fairly inexpensive and then maybe a 590 for smoking.

I would just be wary of letting others use this grill un-trained. It can be easily abused or mis-used. It is not like a typical charcoal grill and does need some instruction.

Welcome aboard! The above comments are all spot on.

I actually have the pizza kit on the way. It is made by GMG (Green Mountain Grill) so I can share feedback soon but from what I'm seeing most are very happy with it.

I would be careful as stated letting anyone just use a pellet smoker. One thing that has been coming up lately are some backdraft type lid pops. They can be pretty serious especially when there could be liability to others. Be careful letting others use it and maybe have waivers signed if you do. I wish I could help more there but it would not be my choice for general folks to use.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy!

Welcome! RecTeq does not offer a pizza accessory to my knowledge. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet.
And you are so right, my mistake. I've been buried in Internet searches all day and I mistakenly thought it was RecTeq that made the accessory. But it's actually Campchef. I'm sorry, my mistake.

So the general consensus is NOT to let the untrained use it? I didn't realize there was that much of a learning curve. Well thank you so much, and I will take that warning to heart.

if you plan to be the pit master i say go for it! these grill make it easy to make delicious food. but they can have issues with auger fires if turned off at high heat and they need to have the grease cleaned out regularly and the firepot. both are fast and easy to do, but the average person wouldn’t know to do that. a big charcoal or gas grill is easier for just anyone to use

Correct, I would be cautious, while I appreciate the idea, I am not sure it is practical. I am sure there are many sharks aka lawyers on this forum that would tell you the same or not looking for a payday....

There are lawyers out there that would sue you for over cooking or under cooking meat......Just saying

if you plan to be the pit master i say go for it! these grill make it easy to make delicious food. but they can have issues with auger fires if turned off at high heat and they need to have the grease cleaned out regularly and the firepot. both are fast and easy to do, but the average person wouldn’t know to do that. a big charcoal or gas grill is easier for just anyone to use
While that would be the case, occasionally, I had envisioned an area where the guests could gather and use the appliances. Like I said earlier, I had (incorrectly) viewed these as a simple to use, common sense appliances.

So after some additional thought, I think we will install a nice sized charcoal BBQ. Everyone knows how to use them, so we should be able to keep the risk of burning up the guests to a minimum.

Nothing gives an RV park a bad rep faster than a burning guest running around and catching the woods on fire. It's hard enough keeping the public happy without scarring them for life. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back