Hello from Wisconsin

gumbee

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi all,

Received my RT-590 a few days ago. First pellet pooper. Been smoking on ceramics for about 15 years. First two cooks St. Louis ribs and brisket. Both came out fantastic, but a bit light on smoke taste - tho the family likes it better. I used a smoke tube with lumberjack 100% hickory on the brisket and wrapped in butcher paper during the stall and it increased the smokiness some. Will try cooking with all hickory after i finish up the rec-tec pellets i bought. Can you tell i like hickory?

The ease of use is worth it now at my advancing age, tho the ceramic is not difficult just different. An no that is not one of my cookers in the avatar!

BTW thx for all the hints and info I have gotten from lurking here for a few weeks.

John

Welcome.. I'm a huge fan of using hickory too, the RT pellets just seem pretty bland to me. I mainly use them for grilling and swap out for hickory when I'm going low and slow. I would just use hickory all the time except I bought 200lbs of them when I bought the grill. ;)

HELLO WISCONSIN!!
giphy.gif

Congrats on the new grill and welcome to the forums!

Hi all,

Received my RT-590 a few days ago. First pellet pooper. Been smoking on ceramics for about 15 years. First two cooks St. Louis ribs and brisket. Both came out fantastic, but a bit light on smoke taste - tho the family likes it better. I used a smoke tube with lumberjack 100% hickory on the brisket and wrapped in butcher paper during the stall and it increased the smokiness some. Will try cooking with all hickory after i finish up the rec-tec pellets i bought. Can you tell i like hickory?

The ease of use is worth it now at my advancing age, tho the ceramic is not difficult just different. An no that is not one of my cookers in the avatar!

BTW thx for all the hints and info I have gotten from lurking here for a few weeks.

John
Welcome John !
Careful on pellet brands.
I used and love lumberjack pellets but their 100% hickory and cherry are very hard and can break shear pins.
Lumberjack’s rep told me the cause issues on many grill but their comp blend is nice.
All the best.

thx for the tip about lumberjack 100% hickory...I've got 40 lbs. Guess I'll keep an eye on those cooks - or do you recommend not using them thru the hopper?

thx again for the warm welcomes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back