Hello from sunny San Diego

orangebiker

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. WyldSide
I'm a Midwest boy who went West about 19 yrs ago.

I purchased my first RT-700 at the beginning of our COVID lockdown last April after agonizing over what to get. Once I'd convinced myself that RecTec was the one, I ordered the Bull, and couldn't have been happier with my purchase.
My kids named him(?) "Burnice" on the app, and even they have enjoyed cooking with her(?).

COVID allowed my wife and I to remodel our back yard, and the focal point of the outdoor kitchen is the Bull. We are about 3 weeks away from finishing, and the excitement is ramping up.

I enjoy getting hints and tips on here, and look forward to meeting a few of you in the future.

Cheers!

Welcome!
I got my Bull last Father's Day. Loving the thing.
Post some pics of your outdoor kitchen when it's done. That project is on my to-do list.

Attachments

• 20210529_212644.jpg
    20210529_212644.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • 20210521_070737.jpg
    20210521_070737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • 20210524_071212.jpg
    20210524_071212.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 20210524_071230.jpg
    20210524_071230.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 20210524_071245.jpg
    20210524_071245.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 104
Welcome! My grills' name is Ruby in honor of my long departed paternal grandmother. Are those poured concrete countertops?

Welcome! My grills' name is Ruby in honor of my long departed paternal grandmother. Are those poured concrete countertops?
They are indeed. we were overwhelmed with granite choice, so decided on something a bit more robust.

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!
I'm in the mist of doing an outdoor kitchen build myself. Just ordered a 1250 but conceded that I wouldn't be able to build it in, and I would just have it parked next to my L shaped kitchen. After a search here I found your pics and I am impressed as your kitchen fits most of what I'm looking for to include:
1. Recteq smoker​
2. Griddle​
3. 2 eye burner​
4. Power Burner​
5. Big Joe​
6. Sink​
7. Fridge​
8. Storage​

Questions:
1. Any more detail or pics on how you built in your 700? (I searched but didn't see a link in the forum if you have already detailed this out)
2. How do you access your drip bucket?
3. How did you frame out your kitchen (wood, metal, block)?
4. What model side burner is that?
5. Is the Evo worth the price?
6. I'm wondering if the Big Joe would be necessary or if I should forgo it and upgrade my griddle. Do you miss having a traditional type charcoal grill?
7. Do you have an outdoor fridge as well?
...I could continue with questions, but I'll stop there lol.

I'm currently at 90% completion on my patio structure and currently having all utility work done for the kitchen. Once done I'll have concrete decking poured and then I'll proceed with the kitchen build and a fireplace build.

messages_0 (1).jpeg
messages_0 (2).jpeg
messages_0 (3).jpeg

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!
I'm in the mist of doing an outdoor kitchen build myself. Just ordered a 1250 but conceded that I wouldn't be able to build it in, and I would just have it parked next to my L shaped kitchen. After a search here I found your pics and I am impressed as your kitchen fits most of what I'm looking for to include:
1. Recteq smoker​
2. Griddle​
3. 2 eye burner​
4. Power Burner​
5. Big Joe​
6. Sink​
7. Fridge​
8. Storage​

Questions:
1. Any more detail or pics on how you built in your 700? (I searched but didn't see a link in the forum if you have already detailed this out)
2. How do you access your drip bucket?
3. How did you frame out your kitchen (wood, metal, block)?
4. What model side burner is that?
5. Is the Evo worth the price?
6. I'm wondering if the Big Joe would be necessary or if I should forgo it and upgrade my griddle. Do you miss having a traditional type charcoal grill?
7. Do you have an outdoor fridge as well?
...I could continue with questions, but I'll stop there lol.

I'm currently at 90% completion on my patio structure and currently having all utility work done for the kitchen. Once done I'll have concrete decking poured and then I'll proceed with the kitchen build and a fireplace build.
Thanks! We love our outdoor space!

1. I don't. The contractor put "bridges" below (block) to support the bull, then formed out the counter to accept her. with that done, and the bull installed, i learned what he didn't foresee. Notching out for the grease drain, ensuring adequate space for the controller relocation, and how to access the grease drain bucket.
2. I piped the grease drain (square "duct' to rubber hose under the counter). It's not easy access, but I use big pasta sauce jars to increase capacity.
3. The entire kitchen is CMU block with ledger stone applied to that. Cast in place concrete countertop.
4. Blaze double side burner with lights BLZ-SB2LTE-NG
5. Probably not. I love it, and it has become what I envisioned, which is a place for people to congregate, but there are compromises, and it really was expensive. The main compromise, is that there is no standing edge to push food up against, ala Blackstone.
6. I've not had a charcoal grill in a long time, so I don't miss it. Having the Wyldeside allows me to use charcoal/wood to satisfy my inner caveman if I really want.
7. I do have a small fridge. Since we're close to the coast, the conventional wisdom here is no refrigerator will last more than 3-4 years out side, protected or not. therefore, we found a Frigidaire "dorm fridge" that went with the overall look, and plan on replacing it every few years. We could buy 5 of those for the cost of the outdoor rated units we liked.
Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Thanks! We love our outdoor space!

1. I don't. The contractor put "bridges" below (block) to support the bull, then formed out the counter to accept her. with that done, and the bull installed, i learned what he didn't foresee. Notching out for the grease drain, ensuring adequate space for the controller relocation, and how to access the grease drain bucket.
2. I piped the grease drain (square "duct' to rubber hose under the counter). It's not easy access, but I use big pasta sauce jars to increase capacity.
3. The entire kitchen is CMU block with ledger stone applied to that. Cast in place concrete countertop.
4. Blaze double side burner with lights BLZ-SB2LTE-NG
5. Probably not. I love it, and it has become what I envisioned, which is a place for people to congregate, but there are compromises, and it really was expensive. The main compromise, is that there is no standing edge to push food up against, ala Blackstone.
6. I've not had a charcoal grill in a long time, so I don't miss it. Having the Wyldeside allows me to use charcoal/wood to satisfy my inner caveman if I really want.
7. I do have a small fridge. Since we're close to the coast, the conventional wisdom here is no refrigerator will last more than 3-4 years out side, protected or not. therefore, we found a Frigidaire "dorm fridge" that went with the overall look, and plan on replacing it every few years. We could buy 5 of those for the cost of the outdoor rated units we liked.
Happy to answer any other questions you have.
Thanks so much for the quick and thorough response!
Glad to see that the built in can be done with a little creativity (and a large pasta sauce jar lol).
I was already looking to have the rounded end bar similar to yours and that EVO blends right in. The cost would relegate me to axing something though, so I may stay with my original idea as I was already looking at Blaze for my Griddle, side burner, and power burner. I may also look into le griddle.
Excellent point with the outdoor fridge idea since they are definitely pricey. I have a couple of weeks yet before I finalize my plan, but I anticipate posting the final setup when I get there.

Thanks so much for the quick and thorough response!
Glad to see that the built in can be done with a little creativity (and a large pasta sauce jar lol).
I was already looking to have the rounded end bar similar to yours and that EVO blends right in. The cost would relegate me to axing something though, so I may stay with my original idea as I was already looking at Blaze for my Griddle, side burner, and power burner. I may also look into le griddle.
Excellent point with the outdoor fridge idea since they are definitely pricey. I have a couple of weeks yet before I finalize my plan, but I anticipate posting the final setup when I get there.
Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

...Happy to answer any other questions you have.
After assembling my 1250 I was wondering if you have access to the back of yours. In the event you need to service the hopper would it require lifting the bull back out or do you have an access door behind it? Also does the built in allow for enough airflow to the hopper's fan?

Just completed concrete pour yesterday so outdoor kitchen and fireplace are now on deck.

After assembling my 1250 I was wondering if you have access to the back of yours. In the event you need to service the hopper would it require lifting the bull back out or do you have an access door behind it? Also does the built in allow for enough airflow to the hopper's fan?

Just completed concrete pour yesterday so outdoor kitchen and fireplace are now on deck.
I've not choreographed it, but I believe there is enough room to do what I might need to do without removing (hopefully I didn't jinx myself). Access door in the back is a good idea, , and one I suppose I could retrofit if necessary, but is a ton of work at this point.
My pour allows for plenty of space for air movement - and rain! I found that out when storing a bag of pellets on the floor underneath. now everything is up off of the concrete. My MiL is altering the stock cover to flap out over the back edge of the concrete to give Reqs more protection, and to keep the storage space dryer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back