Hello from Canada

Ricobadman

Hey All

I picked up my Rec Tec Mini over 2 1/2 years ago and it's been awesome. I likely have almost 400 cook hours on it. Lately though I've had some augur issues and was wondering if any of you have seen this. It happened last summer while preparing for a staff bbq. I started with a 12 hour pulled pork. I had finished the pulled pork and let the unit cool so I could clean the drip tray and grill before starting an overnight brisket. I restarted the unit and as it was warming up, there was a large electrical explosion. It seems somehow the auger jammed and the motor itself started turning, it bent the bracket it rests against and continued to turn until it tore the wires and shorted out. It blew the fuse which i replaced, but there were component failures on the board. I swapped out the board (had a spare) straightened the bracket, repaired the wires and away I go. It was fine for the reset of the summer. In the fall, it happened again, the auger jammed, bent the bracket, ripped the wires and blew the board. A couple of the things I've noticed, I get a lot of smoke coming back through the auger and into the hopper. The other (which I think might be related) the inside of the hopper felt sticky. I've used Rec Tec Pellets, Cookin Pellets and Traeger pellets primarily so I'm not quite sure what is happening. I have yet to call Rec Tec, I thought I might start here. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I was able to troubleshoot repair the circuit board so I can tell you which component to replace on that style board.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back