Heat shied warping

Codygang4

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I just got the 590 yesterday I cooked burgers tonight and my heat shield started warping is this normal?

The little pyramid thingy or the big long tray on an angle? Did it go back into place when cooled down? What temp were you cooking at?

High heat warps stainless. It snaps back on its own usually. My pellet hopper lid will warp if I cook 450 or higher.

Yes, it is "normal".....annoying, but stainless will warp as SmokeOCD noted, still works fine. This happened to mine early on and I contacted Recteq, they confirmed this is common but should not affect function.

If you just got your 590, haven't they changed the heat shields to cast iron now? Got my 590 a month ago and it is cast iron.

I clamped down my 340 shield down and welded an "X" of small flat bar( 5/16"x 5/8") to the top. Problem fixed.

One of the things that I have found common with the bots that register here is that they post about a new recteq, yet show that they have a RT-680 in their profile. Not saying for sure this account is a bot, but not yet saying it’s not either.

What is the heat shield you refer to? Maybe you mean the deflector? If so.. don't worry about it. Normal. New ones are cast iron but I believe the stainless will hold up better in the long run even if not perfectly straight. It doesn't affect anything unless it pushes up on the drip tray.

One of the things that I have found common with the bots that register here is that they post about a new recteq, yet show that they have a RT-680 in their profile. Not saying for sure this account is a bot, but not yet saying it’s not either.
Would the bots be from competitors like Traeger and Weber to cast doubt on quality, so you don't stray from the big brands? It's the only angle I can figure.

Would the bots be from competitors like Traeger and Weber to cast doubt on quality, so you don't stray from the big brands? It's the only angle I can figure.
I’d be surprised if any brand would do that, primarily because the repercussions if caught would be great. I’m not well versed in the bot world, but in addition to spreading mis-/dis-information, there are other benefits for posting bots. One thing in particular I’ve heard is that they use the conversations to build language use knowledge as well as AI abilities.

I’d be surprised if any brand would do that, primarily because the repercussions if caught would be great. I’m not well versed in the bot world, but in addition to spreading mis-/dis-information, there are other benefits for posting bots. One thing in particular I’ve heard is that they use the conversations to build language use knowledge as well as AI abilities.
** Skynet goes live **

** Skynet goes live **
1673025237372.png

Fake news!!!

Mine warped on my 340 about after 8 months and they sent me a replacement. Few months after that, that one warped. Been cooking with it ever since. It's just deflecting the direct heat, so no big deal. Mine works fine.

Don't see the cast iron deflector warping, mine hasn't budged over many many cooks.
Received my 590 a few weeks back — new to the pellet scene. My cast iron heat shield cracked during seasoning. Contacted Recteq and they said the same — should not impact performance etc. I did my first longer cook this past weekend and all seemed fine with temps and the crack has not gotten any larger — I guess time will tell if it needs replacing. Ribs were pretty darn good 🤠!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back