Bull Heat Deflector Mod, improvement, etc.

JGW

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I did this same mod on my Traeger (some of you may have seen those pics I posted here) and just did it on my Bull. I really am not sure why the various makers do not spend a little bit more to build a heat deflector that doesn't warp, but that's neither here or there.

I know they say it doesn't really affect the grill, but to me it would seem more heat would come up on the higher end of the warp possibly creating a hot spot in that area. In any case, not a fan of the warped deflector, so I always fix it. I also think the extra steel slightly helps with bounce back as I am sure it retains more heat than the default metal.

Parts

1 - .25 steel plate (12.75" x 9.25) Note: Lowes sells a 12" x 12", and you can use that, but I ordered this one pre-cut from www.onlinemetals.com, mainly because I didn't want to cut the plate myself. They have quick shipping, but due to weight, packaging, etc. the shipping is almost as much as the plate (about $38 together, plate + shipping).

4- 5/16 x 3/4" stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts.

Do some quick measurements for where to drill the hold and bolt it on. :) If you have a welder, you can certainly weld it on. In the past, I have always used 5 bolts, but I am not sure it's necessary.

I'm going to burn it in before cooking, just to make sure the plate doesn't have anything left on it (cutting fluid, processing gunk, etc.).

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 756
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 441
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 432
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Great idea.let us know what you think after a few cooks. Just noticed my deflector has some warp speed o it.

Great idea!! I will give it a try. I am on my third deflector because the other two warp so bad. I am on my second and soon to be my third drip tray. Warped so bad it was touching my grill. Cheap China stuff and metal. Not what is advertised to be. Disappointed!! Spend that kind of money should have lasted longer that the warranty.

Thank you for posting these instructions. I may try your modification. I've had my Bull for 3 weeks with about 7 cooks on it. Using the Full setting once for steaks. Cleaned out my foil and took a look at the Heat Deflector plate and it's already warped. I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference but this is a bit concerning. How much worse will it get in a few months or a year? I would hate to call every few months for the next 6 years asking for a replacement.

Attachments

• 20210720_112711.jpg
    20210720_112711.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 219
  • 20210720_112702.jpg
    20210720_112702.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 212
Thank you for posting these instructions. I may try your modification. I've had my Bull for 3 weeks with about 7 cooks on it. Using the Full setting once for steaks. Cleaned out my foil and took a look at the Heat Deflector plate and it's already warped. I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference but this is a bit concerning. How much worse will it get in a few months or a year? I would hate to call every few months for the next 6 years asking for a replacement.
I'm not sure if they will replace it unless it's causing a issue, like lifting the drain pan.

I agree. Disappointing it happened so fast. I really enjoy the Bull and their customer service is outstanding but I wouldn't want to get to know them on a first name basis. If I can help it.

I agree. Disappointing it happened so fast. I really enjoy the Bull and their customer service is outstanding but I wouldn't want to get to know them on a first name basis. If I can help it.
I fully understand.

I understand that the warping occurs on most brands, but IMHO, it shouldn't cost much more to ensure that the deflector can't warp. Hell, for the price we paid for these things, adding another $30 (if that much) to the price would not have lost any customers.

I had someone ask me on Reddit why I have the heads of the bolts on the bottom and the nuts on the top. So, just in case anyone is wondering, I wanted the bottom as obstruction free as possible and to keep the threads cleaner if I had to remove it for some reason. 🤔

I did this same mod on my Traeger (some of you may have seen those pics I posted here) and just did it on my Bull. I really am not sure why the various makers do not spend a little bit more to build a heat deflector that doesn't warp, but that's neither here or there.

I know they say it doesn't really affect the grill, but to me it would seem more heat would come up on the higher end of the warp possibly creating a hot spot in that area. In any case, not a fan of the warped deflector, so I always fix it. I also think the extra steel slightly helps with bounce back as I am sure it retains more heat than the default metal.

Parts

1 - .25 steel plate (12.75" x 9.25) Note: Lowes sells a 12" x 12", and you can use that, but I ordered this one pre-cut from www.onlinemetals.com, mainly because I didn't want to cut the plate myself. They have quick shipping, but due to weight, packaging, etc. the shipping is almost as much as the plate (about $38 together, plate + shipping).

Do some quick measurements for where to drill the hold and bolt it on. :) If you have a welder, you can certainly weld it on. In the past, I have always used 5 bolts, but I am not sure it's necessary.

I'm going to burn it in before cooking, just to make sure the plate doesn't have anything left on it (cutting fluid, processing gunk, etc.).

Parts

I just did my burn in yesterday on my Bull, and just that hour at 400º warped it just a little bit. Luckily I'm a TIG welder for a precision sheet metal/machine shop so I went in this morning and had a piece of .250 SST cut on the laser and welded it on. Straightened it right out!! Also went ahead and welded the grates together too. Looking forward to getting some chicken thighs on it this evening!!

FA906A68-DDF5-4537-ACA5-BDFDA2ED4B75.jpeg
7256E12E-37AB-441B-B583-B60F4741E200.jpeg
86EA52B7-DFE9-48B8-BE43-CB7C11755DF8.jpeg
DE175A2F-1991-45B9-B0D1-A0CAA9FBBFB3_1_201_a.jpeg
C24A6914-2522-4B51-A705-1827C6671F37.jpeg

Nice.

Personally, I like the grates being in two pieces (they fit in mud tub, dishwasher, etc) for easier cleaning.

If I knew how and had the equipment...I would have welded mine on. 😃

Last edited:
I like the heat deflector mod. Have you replaced the grates into the grill to make sure they still fit? my grates are really tight & I worry that the SS rods you've welded front & back might prevent fitting, unless the welded rods are more under the grate edge than the pic shows.

I like the heat deflector mod. Have you replaced the grates into the grill to make sure they still fit? my grates are really tight & I worry that the SS rods you've welded front & back might prevent fitting, unless the welded rods are more under the grate edge than the pic shows.
I didn't care for how much room there was from front to back on the grates. I put the front one on the outside, and the back one on the inside so I only increased the depth of it by .250"
Nice.

Personally, I like the grates being in two pieces (they fit in mud tub, dishwasher, etc) for easier cleaning.

If I knew how and had the equipment...I would have welded mine on. 😃
I figured I'll just take it out and pressure wash it when it needs it.

The upgraded heat deflector looks great! When can we start placing our orders? :D ;)
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

I could add four holes like I saw at the top of this post and just ship the plate. I need to look into this!!! I'm afraid it'll be too expensive though, material has gone through he roof over the last year and a half.

Last edited:
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

I could add four holes like I saw at the top of this post and just ship the plate. I need to look into this!!! I'm afraid it'll be too expensive though, material has gone through he roof over the last year and a half.
What's the lowest grade of stainless that you'd use to do the job? Just priced out 316 - 12.75x9.25x0.25 was $175. Don't want to cut corners too bad but want to be realistic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back