Have you ever tried these pellets

Somewhere, sometime many years ago when I got my first pellet grill (Traeger BBQ075), I read that 100% pure flavor wood would produce too strong of a smoke for the food. So I’d never used those before. But I’ve seen those kinds of pellets discussed in this forum and was curious about them.

In the earlier years, I bought Traeger pellets. They supposedly used an alder base/filler. I had tried some BBQers Delight pellets and fell in love with them. They supposedly used an oak base/filler. So I’ve always looked at the specs on pellets, before I buy them, to see what filler/base they use, if at all. Now I’m seeing these pure flavor wood pellets and am curious about them. Do they burn hot, slow, and how much ash? Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

Bear Mountain is a pretty solid choice for me, primarily because:

1) I can get them for $9.99 a bag
2) Tractor supply is just a couple of miles away
3) They perform well for me.

Unlike others, I don't really have a problem with Traeger pellets. I've used B&B hickory, and I liked them.

I thought Green Mountain Grill pellets produced some pretty good smoke (Texas blend), but the amount of dust in them really turned me off. Not even dust really, BIG chunks of wood compared to other pellets. The amount of waste was astonishing. I used a mesh screen to get out as much as I could, so I don't really recommend them.

Bear Mountain is a pretty solid choice for me, primarily because:

1) I can get them for $9.99 a bag
2) Tractor supply is just a couple of miles away
3) They perform well for me.

Unlike others, I don't really have a problem with Traeger pellets. I've used B&B hickory, and I liked them.

I thought Green Mountain Grill pellets produced some pretty good smoke (Texas blend), but the amount of dust in them really turned me off. Not even dust really, BIG chunks of wood compared to other pellets. The amount of waste was astonishing. I used a mesh screen to get out as much as I could, so I don't really recommend them.

So I was using Bear Mountain pellets for the last 6 months or so.

This weekend I was getting smoke back flow into my hopper. My fire pot etc is clean, always clean.
I tried my other bag of Bear Mountain and same issue. Cleaned and emptied all the pellets.

Spoke to RecTeq today and they said its either air flow restriction somewhere or pellets. Based on the 2 clean outs I did to an already clean grill, I know it wasn't air flow. Bought another brand of pellets, a 20 pound bag of Kingford, no issues at all.

RecTeq said that at 4 months post manufacture date of pellets, they start to go bad, some faster than others and when they get over dried and brittle, they will break, cause dust and smoke easily when in the auger. The Bear Mountain pellets I had were purchased in Feb and kept in a 5 gal Lowes container, sealed. But honestly, they did look a little dusty and ashy when I was pulling them out, I only keep about 15 pounds in the hopper at any time.

Lesson learned, buy pellets directly from the manufacturer if you can to get the "freshest" available. Ill be dumping the 30 pounds I have sealed up at the lake for my 700, knowing now what I know I dont want the hassle or risk a hopper fire.

Not saying my experience is common, heck last week Bear Mountain pellets worked great. But if you guys see the back flow, it probably is the pellets if your grill is clean. Luckily RecTeq is back to selling single bags and I ordered 2 bags for $60 delivered, thats a pretty good price and I know they move. alot of pellets so they should be fresh for me when I get them

To be honest, I’ve seen “backflow” with every pellet brand at one time or another. Not only on my recteq , but Traeger too.

I think it’s probably more an airflow issue than a pellet issue.

I was unfortunate enough to get two bad batches of pellets in a row with two different brands. In both cases, there were enormous pellets of over 1.5 to 2.5” long. In each case, they caused major pellet bridging and back burning into the auger, which didn’t extend to the hopper either of those times (more on the hopper fire incident later). Anyway, I had to vacuum them all out and start over both times. With all of the glowing reviews of the Bear Mountain pellets, I’m assuming I just got a bad batch, but now I inspect and molest all of my pellets with the utmost scrutiny.

RecTeq said that at 4 months post manufacture date of pellets, they start to go bad, some faster than others and when they get over dried and brittle, they will break, cause dust and smoke easily when in the auger.
I am not buying that four months and pellets start going bad. How are they getting over dried if they are in a sealed container and nowhere for any moisture to go? Most folks are worried that the pellets will pick up moisture, but I do not see that happening if they are stored correctly in sealed containers. I have pellets that I have owned for over a year (I have even used pellets over two years old with no problem), and they work the exact same as when I bought them. Have you ever seen a "Best used by date" on any bag of pellets? Heck they could be way past the four-month manufacture date when you buy them, how would you know, there is no manufactured date on the bag either. Sometimes I think the RT support thinks we are a bunch of dummies and will accept any lame statement they make as gospel.

Last edited:
It’s probably just me, but when I see “Made from 100% real wood” prominently displayed on a bag of wood pellets, I have to wonder if there’s a 50% real wood out there somewhere? If so, what’s the other 50%?

When the marketing folks have to work that hard to convince customers their “wood pellets” are made from “real wood” it makes me wonder what they’re not talking about. YMMV 😉

I am not buying that four months and pellets start going bad. How are they getting over dried if they are in a sealed container and nowhere for any moisture to go? Most folks are worried that the pellets will pick up moisture, but I do not see that happening if they are stored correctly in sealed containers. I have pellets that I have owned for over a year (I have even used pellets over two years old with no problem), and they work the exact same as when I bought them. Have you ever seen a "Best used by date" on any bag of pellets? Heck they could be way past the four-month manufacture date when you buy them, how would you know, there is no manufactured date on the bag either. Sometimes I think the RT support thinks we are a bunch of dummies and will accept any lame statement they make as gospel.
THIS is the kind of stuff that RT support tells people that makes me question their answers at times. :rolleyes:

I have tried the and they aren’t bad. I really like their post oak one. I was ordering Lumberjack but really got tired of paying shipping costs.

Not tried them, but I tend to stay with the brands that state "100% flavor wood" and bonus for giving percentages of each wood if they are a mix such as cherry, hickory, apple, etc.

I haven't found a reason to abandon Cookin' Pellets over the last five years (luckily I have a vendor not far from me so I don't have to pay shipping which is included in Amazon pricing) . I will probably try Lumber Jack and possibly Bear Mountain 100% Hickory as some date.

Pellet grills need all the smoke help they can get to approach the stick burners that folks like Aaron Franklin use. Light and leave has its benefits, but some downsides as well.

I’m very lucky. My daughter lives in Evans, GA, home of Recteq. I pick up a few bags every time i visit. And i really like the Recteq pellets, which is handy since our local Rural King isn’t consistently stocking Lumberjack anymore.

20 lb Craft Blend Bourbon BBQ Grill Pellets $8.99 at Blain's - $7 shipping for the whole order.
I didn't see how long the shipping special is good for - the Bourbon Pellets were the only ones on sale.

............................... I will probably try Lumber Jack and possibly Bear Mountain 100% Hickory as some date..............................

Bear Mtn. does not sell 100% Hickory or any other single flavor wood pellets. They sell 100% hardwood blend pellets. LumberJack does sell 100% Hickory and other flavor woods but they also sell blends so look carefully before you buy.

If you have an Atwoods near you, they currently have Lumber Jack 20lb bags for $6.99. I picked up 5 bags last weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back