Has anyone smoked a 22 lb turkey on heir RT-700?

I did a 22 last year and am doing a 20lb bird this year. I always spatchcock them as I get a more even cook and the white meat always turns out super juicy. I brine them overnight in a cooler and smoke at 325° until the temps are right.
How long was that cook? I haven't done a whole bird in years because most my family wont eat dark meat but the idea of a spatchcock turkey sounds great.

How long was that cook? I haven't done a whole bird in years because most my family wont eat dark meat but the idea of a spatchcock turkey sounds great.
I’m thinking 3-4 hours max at around 350. I always forget cause I only do it once a year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doing your bird at 350 will give you good flavorful skin. Not crispy but not rubbery either.

Some people dunk the bird for a few minutes in their fryer if they for sure want crispy skin. Best of both worlds but more work.

If you brine it make sure you give yourself enough time remove it from the brine, pat dry and put it back in the fridge to help pull the moisture out of the skin. I usually do this over night. I also put butter under and on top of the skin before putting in the grill. Smoke 2 hours at 180F then crank up to 350F until internal temp is reached. Basting with butter every 30-60 min. Crispy skin every time!

Here is our Whole Turkey method (in our Bull):
SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Whole Turkey2754.5 - 5 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour

Juicy Meat and Crispy Skin .... no Brine, no Injection
July 5th Turkey 1.jpeg

Then we pull the Beasts, skin them and double smoke them:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Double Smoke Turkey Breast2502.5 - 3 hours140Avo Oil, Garlic Pepper and Salt BlendAdd Smoke Tube
July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests 1.jpeg

July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests.jpeg

July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests 2.jpeg

Great for a quick Meal, or cut-up for Saids, or sliced for Sandwiches

I think we may Spatchcock our 22.5# Bird this T'day

Planning on doing a 20lb here. I don’t see why there would be any issues. Temp maintains same as oven. Will brine for a day prior.

Baste baste baste! Keep the skin moist or use a light oil (I prefer 0-w30 but that’s just me) every 30-45mins

I did a 13# turkey this year. 1.5 hrs at 225 then 3-3.5 hrs at 325.

Kids were fighting over the skin.

Thinking about smoking a 22 lb turkey on my rt-700.
At 1st I was hesitant about don't it since I don't want rubbery skin but thought I'd see if there are any success stories here. I like a nice crispy skin but, obviously, don't want an overcooked bird in the process.
I know this post is old but I always smoke turkey and get great skin. I wet brine for 24 hours in a bucket and then put the bucket in a cooler.
I spatchcock the turkey. Then season all around.
Smoked at 275 and every 40 minutes drip melted butter (do not rub on as that will rub away seasoning). Once bird hits around 140 I bring up to 375. I monitor color but not too often so do not lose heat. Take off at 170 and let sit out for 30 minutes.

Thinking about smoking a 22 lb turkey on my rt-700.
At 1st I was hesitant about don't it since I don't want rubbery skin but thought I'd see if there are any success stories here. I like a nice crispy skin but, obviously, don't want an overcooked bird in the process.
I realize I’m a little late

But I’ve done a couple 24# birds on mine
Spatchcocked for great results

This year:
Spatchcocked, injected with Cajun butter (it’s what I had)
Patted dry and dry brined inside and out about an hour before cooking
I put the bird on a rimmed sheet pan with a cooling rack
Placed on cold grill with smoke tube lit
Started grill and set to 425°
Once the girl got to 425 I left it for 15 to 20 minutes and then turn it down to 350°
Let it go for about an hour and then started checking the temperature

This was the best bird I’ve ever made

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back