Has anyone received or used the new RT-380X yet?

Jim, I placed my order at the RT Academy on 11/5. It shipped from Georgia to California with FedEx. As you noted that item is in two boxes. It showed up 11/14 in California. The boxes appear to be in pretty good shape and will assemble this weekend.

Well, I did contact Recteq yesterday (via e-mail as I was briefly out of town on some personal business). It seems that RT has recently changed to shipping the RT-380X in TWO boxes, so it actually CAN be shipped via FedEx or UPS. Apparently, Recteq is not that good at getting all of its customer service folks on the same page. Seems like the person I talked to previously was not aware of the change.

I am now assured that the RT-380X does NOT have to be shipped via LTL freight any longer. That may just open the door to me ordering one. I still need to do a bit more research on other options before hitting the “Buy” button.
You know you NEED it for Thanksgiving, just order it already!

You know you NEED it for Thanksgiving, just order it already!
You just jinxed it. No way he can complete the RMAs and grill surgery necessary to have a working grill by Thanksgiving. ( I ordered beginning of May and didn't cook until mid June - 2 bbq holidays blown)

You just jinxed it. No way he can complete the RMAs and grill surgery necessary to have a working grill by Thanksgiving. ( I ordered beginning of May and didn't cook until mid June - 2 bbq holidays blown)
Oooops

Picked mine up at Recteq in Evans GA. Two boxes and a complimentary bag of pellets. smoked two turkeys for Thanksgiving. one Thursday and one Saturday. Both were great. Second one was a little more moist than the first. Had a little trouble with the wifi connection but got working.

I don’t have the RT380 but I offer a couple of off topic points. I have a sear burner on my gasser (Lynx Pro 36”) that can hit 1100F using porcelain trident burners. I use it often for searing, sealing, and charring many items. Until you have the capability you don’t miss the capability. I also have their external, stand alone, sear station that acts as a backup for the grill’s when it is occupied with foods being cooked at a more moderate temperature. The sear station also hits 1100F. You wouldn’t think you need that much BTU grilling power but a couple of weeks ago my son decided to bring 7 friends over for a surprise steak cook out. This event included enlisting me as the Master “Chef’ to teach them how to make a proper steak. Note: These kids are all in college and brought their appetites with them, lol. We gave the steaks the obligatory ‘season and sit’ time and cooked 11 large thick porterhouse steaks in under 15 minutes including the ghee/garlic ritualistic bathing session. The more recent example was for Friendsgiving. We hosted 32 people for Brisket, Pork Shoulders, Turkey, Oyster stuffing, and a bunch of sides and everything was served rested, hot and juicy at dinner time. Quite frankly, the most relaxing part of my contribution was staying out of the crowded kitchen where other items were being prepared and having “elbow room” outside to flex and move about the yard freely without any tension, which often occurs when the indoor chefs to outdoor chef ratio gets tilted out of my favor. Most people don’t probably take on challenges of this type but, when it comes to your family and kids, that thing called love gets in the way every time. Also, depending on who you ask in the house (wife vs. kids) either we have too much, or not enough cooking capacity or variety of prep/cook options. It also lets me ”poke the bear in the eye” at least a couple of times a year as I puff out my chest and say, “that’s why I own all this stuff”. Just my opinions. Enjoy your decision as I don’t think there is a wrong way to go. If you want an additional talking point, let them know it will one day be a family heirloom to be passed on to future generations just like your cast iron cooking utensils. Cheers.

I don’t have the RT380 but I offer a couple of off topic points. I have a sear burner on my gasser (Lynx Pro 36”) that can hit 1100F using porcelain trident burners. I use it often for searing, sealing, and charring many items. Until you have the capability you don’t miss the capability. I also have their external, stand alone, sear station that acts as a backup for the grill’s when it is occupied with foods being cooked at a more moderate temperature. The sear station also hits 1100F. You wouldn’t think you need that much BTU grilling power but a couple of weeks ago my son decided to bring 7 friends over for a surprise steak cook out. This event included enlisting me as the Master “Chef’ to teach them how to make a proper steak. Note: These kids are all in college and brought their appetites with them, lol. We gave the steaks the obligatory ‘season and sit’ time and cooked 11 large thick porterhouse steaks in under 15 minutes including the ghee/garlic ritualistic bathing session. The more recent example was for Friendsgiving. We hosted 32 people for Brisket, Pork Shoulders, Turkey, Oyster stuffing, and a bunch of sides and everything was served rested, hot and juicy at dinner time. Quite frankly, the most relaxing part of my contribution was staying out of the crowded kitchen where other items were being prepared and having “elbow room” outside to flex and move about the yard freely without any tension, which often occurs when the indoor chefs to outdoor chef ratio gets tilted out of my favor. Most people don’t probably take on challenges of this type but, when it comes to your family and kids, that thing called love gets in the way every time. Also, depending on who you ask in the house (wife vs. kids) either we have too much, or not enough cooking capacity or variety of prep/cook options. It also lets me ”poke the bear in the eye” at least a couple of times a year as I puff out my chest and say, “that’s why I own all this stuff”. Just my opinions. Enjoy your decision as I don’t think there is a wrong way to go. If you want an additional talking point, let them know it will one day be a family heirloom to be passed on to future generations just like your cast iron cooking utensils. Cheers.
I can relate to this a lot with people wanting me to cook for them.

I think(correct me if I'm wrong) you are saying 1000 plus degrees have a place and can be nice to have once you have it?

I have the SS Bullseye and do use max temp(750) sometimes when searing stuff. If I didn't have a Bullseye already, I probably would go for the Deluxe version.

Regardless, it still is pretty frickin cool and flat out amazing they were able to make a pellet grill that can get to 1000(or close) degrees.

I too am interested in the new 380x and like @Jim6820 I would like some reviews. I have a 590 and a Bullseye, that are 2-3 years old (Covid Fog). I paid 299 for my Bullseye and it was a great deal. I have not really had any issues and it does what I need it too, that being said, I have never used the RIOT mode, I think Ruths Chris only sears up to 800 so....
I like the options and am curious how it holds temperature. My 380 is a little wild, but not an issue as I use it for hot and fast. I use the 590 to smoke and a Blackstone for the rest.

Last edited:
I too am interested in the new 380x and like @Jim6820 I would like some reviews. I have a 590 and a Bullseye, that are 2-3 years old (Covid Fog). I paid 299 for my Bullseye and it was a great deal. I have not really had any issues and it does what I need it too, that being said, I have never used the RIOT mode, I think Ruths Chris only sears up to 800 so....
I like the options and am curious how it holds temperature. My 380 is a little wild, but not an issue as I use it for hot and fast. I use the 590 to smoke and a Blackstone for the rest.
Ruths Chris:
“For the days when you’d rather not fire up the grill, come and see us at Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Our famous sizzling steak is cooked exactly to your liking in our 1800-degree broiler, and served with our signature hospitality.”

Ruth’s Chris takes it to the next level at 1800F (see above). I chose Lynx Professional series gear for my sear burners (Trident burners on the gasser and the stand alone sear station with ceramic) based on several “high end” restaurants I visited when I was doing my 15 best steak houses in the US, tour. They are consistent, reliable, and the temps can be adjusted from 350-1100F. One word of caution, they heat up in about 8 minutes and can incinerate any inferior protein in a matter of seconds. lol. Their grills are a bit pricey (36” stand alone with trident burners is about $16,000 fully configured with dual orifices and adjustable regulator) but if you are really going to up your game, this takes away all the excuses. Paired with the RT, they make a for a formidable pair.

I guess I should have posted some ”evidence” from last night‘s cook. Wagyu A5 NY Strip Caps seared on a Lodge cast iron pan at 900F. It resulted in a smooth lightly crunchy exterior with melt in your mouth buttery steak inside. Needless to say, it was good eatin’.

9A2255ED-6F73-4167-BD9D-6B7FC0ED1516.jpeg

70707958-5E0B-4CB0-9514-E4634F44AF41.jpeg

B5BD1FDA-9AB9-409A-91D5-6B5BD3E4C91C.jpeg

Just got this, and super happy with it so far. Previously used Masterbuilt smokers. Pulled the trigger on the 380X after debating on the 380 for a while. Did first smoke last weekend (wings). Doing prime rib tomorrow.

IMG_20221204_135340_477.jpg

I’m still conflicted on what to buy. I have loved my Napoleon Prestige 450RB natural gas grill, but converting it to propane appears to be an iffy, and expensive, option. We don’t have natural gas available at the new house. That’s why I have been looking at the RT-380X.

For not too much more $$$, however, I can buy a brand new propane-fueled Napoleon Prestige 500 which is an updated version of my current 450RB. https://www.bbqguys.com/napoleon-grills/prestige-500-propane-gas-grill-p500pss-3-2019

We’ve become accustomed to having a gas grill available for quick cooks and searing; burgers, Basque chorizos (a topic for another day), steaks, etc.

I’m having a hard time moving away completely from a gas grill, however. Propane could fill that gap.

Why do these choices have to be so hard?

Last edited:
I have not seen or used one, but I’ve owned two of of the RT-380b grills. The X model has a lot of nice improvements, but IMO the 1k temp potential is not one of them. The additional height, shelf, WiFi controller, larger hopper, and ash dump are the things that would interest me the most. Especially the additional height, as the 380b is a back-breaker to grill on. Nice improvements, but worth 2x the price?
Greg provided a good list of the upgrades. We have used our 380X for a few weeks. We are happy with it. At first it was not as stable on temps as our 700. After a few cooks it seems to have locked in rather well. We have done steaks, turkey breasts, veggies and smoked butternut squash. That squash became the base for a fantastic soup. We were with chef Greg at RT when he did some great pizzas on it. He used just basic screens to place pizza on the grill.

We are pleased with 380X. It is a good companion for our 700. We will hang onto our Weber Summit too. We have the space and natural gas line, so no real reason to sell it. It is going to see less use but still runs well after 15 years.

Question for you guys. Do you only typically put aluminum roasting tray on top of the deflector for your long cooks? I plan on using one for my prime rib today, just curious what others do for wings, thighs or shorter cooks. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back