Hamburgers not Searing

RNcooker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey I just got my bullseye, and so far have cooked some good things. I tried some hamburgers tonight and they never really got chard on either side. I did read some earlier discussions and I don’t have a ceiling insert. I was wondering whether cooking it on the riot setting would work, Or whether I should just go for a slow cook method and flip them over into a pan or onto the Weber gas grill.

My experience has been that the Riot mode is seldom needed. Perhaps you could be more specific (temp, etc.) as to what you have tried thus far. Also is would be helpful to know what a ‘ceiling insert’’ is?

My experience has been that the Riot mode is seldom needed. Perhaps you could be more specific (temp, etc.) as to what you have tried thus far. Also is would be helpful to know what a ‘ceiling insert’’ is?
Thanks for the response. I was using voice to text translation and it wrote ceiling instead of grilling. I tried cooking the hamburgers at 500, and they were cooking but fairly slowly but not like what I am used to on my weber grill, the gas grill. From reading more it seems like I do you perhaps want to get an aluminum grilling insert. I did try the riot mode and it didn’t really seem to add any additional grilling but I had the top open. I think I just need to play around some with it, thanks

Thanks for the response. I was using voice to text translation and it wrote ceiling instead of grilling. I tried cooking the hamburgers at 500, and they were cooking but fairly slowly but not like what I am used to on my weber grill, the gas grill. From reading more it seems like I do you perhaps want to get an aluminum grilling insert. I did try the riot mode and it didn’t really seem to add any additional grilling but I had the top open. I think I just need to play around some with it, thanks

Searing grates will concentrate the heat better and get hotter than ambient temps. They do work and might be a good option if this is what you are looking to accomplish. They are great for searing steaks as well. Might be worth investing in them.

The stock grate for the Bullseye doesn't really hold heat at all. They are better for low and slow. I would upgrade to a stainless steel grate and/or a cast iron grate and/or get some grill grates. I have grill grates and a cast iron grate. I use them in different situations.

i was skeptical of the grill grates but i bought them anyway. man i love them. i used them all the time. gives a great sear and the flat side is great for bacon. definitely worth getting

Attachments

• 8BE24E34-C568-470E-92A1-BFE74C89D64D.jpeg
    8BE24E34-C568-470E-92A1-BFE74C89D64D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 96
I've had the same experience with not getting a good sear on the Bullseye. I keep thinking about getting a set of the grill grates. But, they are a little on the expensive side. I usually just break out the Weber Charcoal Grill. I still like the taste of charcoal grilled steaks and hamburgers.

Thanks for all the replies I think I will get the aluminum griller add on. What puzzled me a bit was the fact that my first cook was a reverse sear of some t bones that got a nice sear at 500, so I expected the same with burgers. We have some great local smokin/illing/bar-b-que place here in Charloesville, some even within walking distance, so I have some great examples to compare to. Thanks again for posts

i was skeptical of the grill grates but i bought them anyway. man i love them. i used them all the time. gives a great sear and the flat side is great for bacon. definitely worth getting
I have always used the flat side of my sear grates, but now I really want to try the ribbed side. Those steaks look amazing!

I have always used the flat side of my sear grates, but now I really want to try the ribbed side. Those steaks look amazing!
thank you. i prefer the ribbed side for steaks but use the flat side alot for bacon and burgers. grill grates are seriously a game changer. i also use a grill weight from home depot on top of my steaks to get even grill marks.

Last edited:
I've been using the Grill Grates for a bit now and they're hitting their stride now in seasoning. I started with the recommended onion and some canola oil spray.

If I have the time and am not worrying about cranking out burgers fast, I smoke them for a bit at a low temp, then crank the heat up and pseudo reverse sear on the Grill Grates. The transition time from 250 to 400 on my 1250 is less than 5 minutes so it's pretty damn idiot-proof.

If it's weeknight burgers, I just start hot and finish fast on the flat side of the Grill Grates.

I've been using the Grill Grates for a bit now and they're hitting their stride now in seasoning. I started with the recommended onion and some canola oil spray.

If I have the time and am not worrying about cranking out burgers fast, I smoke them for a bit at a low temp, then crank the heat up and pseudo reverse sear on the Grill Grates. The transition time from 250 to 400 on my 1250 is less than 5 minutes so it's pretty damn idiot-proof.

If it's weeknight burgers, I just start hot and finish fast on the flat side of the Grill Grates.
What is the onion?

nailed it

When searing using the Bullseye, I use two sections out of the three sectioned GrillGrate kit for my RT-700. I had to slightly modify some corners to fit. I use the ribbed side for steaks, burgers, chicken, chops, shrimp skewers, peppers, etc. The flat side is good for bacon or toast, flat steak burgers, etc.

With seasoned GrillGrates and grill between 400° and 550° everything sears really well. My secret is the addition of wood chunks. Mesquite for steaks/beef. Apple or pecan for chicken. Hickory for pork. The real secret is when a nice wood chunk ignites. Now I have a little flame in one spot to work with if I want to really sear even more a steak slab, etc.

Placing one or two wood chunks over the perforated holes of the deflector plate while the Bullseye is at or above 400° will get dry wood chunks going/smoking. Increasing the temps more with lid being opened can let in enough oxygen to ignite the chunks.

So if I clean my grill grates really good is it useful to re-season with the onion? I’ve been able to resurrect cast-iron skillets in the past. But these are different metals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back