H-E-B prime one beef chuck roast

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Oh wow, I smoked a 6 hour Prime One chuck roast from HEB yesterday. It was possibly the best tasting meat I have cooked on the 590. I put the 590 on 225 used my favorite rub for beef and smoked it for 3 hours. It stalled early at about 143-150 degrees so I transferred it to an aluminum pan. In the pan, I cut up a whole onion and layered it in the bottom of the pan, and then added some beef stock to the pan. The roast rested on the onions above the stock and I covered the pan with aluminum foil. Cooked another 3 hours until inside temp reached 207 degrees and let it cook at that temp for 30 more minutes. The final step was to rest roast in the pan with foil for an hour. I shredded and chucked the meat and served with all the fixings for tacos. My guests raved about the beef and ate a lot of it.

I learned two thigs on this cook. First, start with the best piece of beef you can afford because it was chuck I purchased "Prime One" very well-marbled it was about 6.00 bucks per lb. Secondly, do not be afraid to keep the beef above 200 degrees for a period of time. I was always afraid of overcooking it. I would be interested in thoughts and advice from others who have cooked chuck roasts

I just love cooking chuck, especially now that the wife and I are empty nesters as it’s hard to justify cooking a large prime rib or a full packer brisket. I’m mostly cooking them Mississippi Pot Roast style which is not a whole lot different from what you did with yours. I haven’t used a prime cut yet, I’ll have to be on the lookout for one.

I just love cooking chuck, especially now that the wife and I are empty nesters as it’s hard to justify cooking a large prime rib or a full packer brisket. I’m mostly cooking them Mississippi Pot Roast style which is not a whole lot different from what you did with yours. I haven’t used a prime cut yet, I’ll have to be on the lookout for one.
Hey Greg, I cooked another chuck roast yesterday. Per your suggestion, I cooked it Mississippi Pot Roast style. It was fabulous! I will be cooking my chuck roasts from now on Mississippi style. I agree with you, I love cooking chuck roasts it is my favorite cut of meat to cook and it is just enough for my wife and me

I’ve cooked a lot of chuck roasts. I’ve found the thicker cuts are more resilient than the thinner ones. Also empty nesters, so a whole brisket is too much. Sometimes I let the roast cook longer (wrapped) so I can pull/shred it. Great for enchiladas, tacos and nachos with black beans. Once you get your process nailed down it’s difficult to go back to a non-smoked chuck roast.

Hey Greg, I cooked another chuck roast yesterday. Per your suggestion, I cooked it Mississippi Pot Roast style. It was fabulous! I will be cooking my chuck roasts from now on Mississippi style. I agree with you, I love cooking chuck roasts it is my favorite cut of meat to cook and it is just enough for my wife and me
Hah! I just started one for tonight’s dinner, just the two of us as well. Seared both sides on the Bullseye first, for anyone wondering why it looks more done than just starting.
5E0D667E-9247-433F-8227-54EBBB2F9F89.jpeg

Hopefully I get to try some meat from HEB in a few years. They just announced they are opening 1 in Frisco. Unfortunately it is going to take them almost 2 years to build it!!!!!

I've thought about cooking a roast on the smoker but I'm not sure the rest of the family would like it. They prefer theirs cooked in gravy with carrots and new potatoes.

Hopefully I get to try some meat from HEB in a few years. They just announced they are opening 1 in Frisco. Unfortunately it is going to take them almost 2 years to build it!!!!!

I've thought about cooking a roast on the smoker but I'm not sure the rest of the family would like it. They prefer theirs cooked in gravy with carrots and new potatoes.
Give it a whirl. Life gets pretty dull if you don't try new things.

Since I have started smoking Chuckies, I no longer cook them in the oven. The family loves them every time I make one. They are very versatile to use, from pulling to slicing to braising and you name it. I always try to pick up some when on sale.

Give it a whirl. Life gets pretty dull if you don't try new things.
My kids will just skip a meal instead of trying something new.
A plus to cooking it with carrots and potatoes is the kids will actually fight over the carrots but they won't eat them any other way. I put a whole package of peeled carrots in with the roast and that still isn't enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back