Ground Chuck Roast

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all.... ok, this is not about a cook on the RT, but oh boy it sure can be. I decided for the 4th, instead of buying pre-made ground burger meat, I would grind my own instead. This was the first time I was attempting to grind my own burger meat so I was a little apprehensive about doing so. After conducting a little research on what meats to buy, or what combo of meats to buy, I settled in on Chuck Roast. Mainly because we really like 80/20 burgers and Chuck Roast itself almost gets you there. I saw you can combine CR with brisket and short rib as well, but chose my first time to keep it simple with just the CR. I found a 3# hunk of meat that looked like it had good marbling and fat content.
Like I mentioned, I was concerned how all of this would play out in the end, as I was getting my Kitchenaid with grinding attachment set up . Now I am laughing at myself for being so worried. From the time I started to cut the roast into smaller pieces, send those pieces through the grinder, then send the ground meat through the grinder a second time was a total of about 10 minutes. The result was perfectly ground chuck for burgers. Best part, I know my burgers were now 100% chuck and no other fillers. Formed the burgers then on the... ok you can cover your ears now..... grill with corn on the cob. Brushed the corn with ghee, a little SP, Harissa spice blend and Za'atar spice blend. I usually like to have the corn with crema, but forgot to pick that up.
The burgers and corn will be great on the RT as well, with or without grill grates. I chose charcoal this cook. Sorry guys!
Dinner turned out fantastic. Since the process was soooooo easy, I may never buy ground beef again. Ok, you all know I am pretty lazy, so that is probably a false statement, but definitely see more home made ground beef in the future.

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Chuck Sliced.jpg
    Chuck Sliced.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Chuck First Grind.jpg
    Chuck First Grind.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 74
  • chuck ground.jpg
    chuck ground.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 76
  • chuck burgers.jpg
    chuck burgers.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 76
  • chuck cooked.jpg
    chuck cooked.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Chuck Plated.jpg
    Chuck Plated.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 77
I was grinding my own burger when we were on lock down. Couldn't get hamburger so I decided to grind my own. I too went for a chuck roast and the results were very good. So much so that the family kind of frowns upon the packaged ground beef from the store. Don't usually have time to grind during the week but on the weekends I try to make the family happy and grind my own hamburger.

I haven’t bought ground beef or ground pork in years. I grind chuck roast and pork shoulder, and sometimes I’ll save and freeze the fat I trim off of other cuts of beef and add them to the chuck when I want a fatter ground beef. I’m on my second kitchen aid grinder, had the plastic one first and finally wore it out and got the metal version. If/when it breaks, I’ll buy a dedicated grinder.

You nailed it. I try to grind CR as much as I can. I also mixed it with sirloin for a moist yet leaner meatloaf, or beef ribs, when I can find them, for a fat and juicy burger. I need to do this more often, as the results are fantastic. I just hate the clean up with my grinder afterwards....

I’ve been wanting to grind my own meat for a while but every time I mention it I just get daggers from my wife ?‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back