Grilling pellets - Only a few choices

So Lumberjack Competition pellets are decent? I've found them at Rurals for 8.89 per 20lb. bag? RecTec wants 40 bucks a bag? WHA...?
The RT pellets are more expensive, but just so you are comparing apples to apples, the RT pellets are 40 bucks for a 40# bag vs. 9 bucks for a 20# bag at Rural King, and the RT pellets are delivered to your door for free. One needs to drive to Rural King to pick them up, which is worth something, especially for folks that don’t live next door to one of their locations. I have to drive 30+ miles to my closest Rural King, but I realize that adds more than a little to the price of the pellets.

Bear Mountain pellets are running a promotion - buy one, get one free, and free shipping. Promo code is BOGO.

I have 2 x 20# on the way for $18.99. Seemed worth giving them a try.
Another thanks for the heads up, just ordered two bags myself!

Hey blues1, is there coupon code for free shipping? I threw a bag into my basket but was looking at close to $50 to ship. Yikes. Glad I paid attention for a change before clicking buy
No coupon...on bulk buys of 7, 10 or 15 bags, shipping is included

If you have Amazon prime it's a no-brainer. A 40# bag of perfect pellets (other choices also) cost $37.50 free delivery. I don't waste gas and time gong into town for such. I order and the next day the bag is delivered. But don't order more than one at a time the charges for 2 or more are out of sight don't ask me why. As for pellets I never had a complaint from my guest about the smoke on my ribs or butts.
I can't seem to get Perfect Pellets to come up when I search on Amazon. Could they be another name???

Hi all. New to the Rec Tec scene and delivery of my 590 expected next week. Been researching pellets, and seems like Lumberjack is the most recommended. From what I can see on their website, you pretty much have to order by the pallet. Here's the problem.....no one in my area (south Louisiana) sells them. My choices are Traeger (Home Depot), Pit Boss (Lowes), B&B (Academy), or Pit Boss and Kingsford (Wallyworld). Which one(s) of these would you all recommend (no fillers, less ash, most smoke flavor, etc)? Which one(s) to stay away from?
Thanks in advance!

You can order lumberjack on dicks website. They have sales pretty often where you can get a bag for about $12 or so. And if you order enough, you’ll get free shipping too.

Just curious if anyone has received info on the July 4 Bear Mountain pellets special yet? I received an email from them that due to the promotion demand, it may take 7 business days to ship my order. Been longer than that now with no tracking info.

I wish Rec Tec sold smaller quantities of their Ultimate pellets. Minimum of five 40 lb bags is just too much for me. By the time I would get to the 5th bag the pellets would be pretty old. Here is a good price for Lumberjack pellets.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsearch/result/?&q=pellets&filter=brand_uFilter:"Lumber Jack"&rows=24&view=grid&start=0
I've kept and stored pellets for years in my basement, they have to be stored in a dry somewhat temperature constant non humid environment for them to last.

I've kept and stored pellets for years in my basement, they have to be stored in a dry somewhat temperature constant non humid environment for them to last.
That's good to know. The manual concerned me some the way it says, dry, fresh, etc pellets. Do the pellet bags have a shelf life date on them?

That's good to know. The manual concerned me some the way it says, dry, fresh, etc pellets. Do the pellet bags have a shelf life date on them?
I've never seen a use by date but some have codes on the bag when they were packaged.
20200717_185106.jpg

Same here, I still have 80 lbs of Cookin Pellets that have been in my basement for 2 years and still look perfectly fine. I have noticed any issues when I use them either.
I was actually thinking of going in on a pallet with a buddy (or a few buddies) on BBQ Delight Pellets. I’ve read good things and the price by the pallet load is very good. As long as you have the proper storage place I’d say it’s no problem.
https://bbqrsdelight.com/

Just curious if anyone has received info on the July 4 Bear Mountain pellets special yet? I received an email from them that due to the promotion demand, it may take 7 business days to ship my order. Been longer than that now with no tracking info.
Don't lose hope! I just got an email yesterday from bear mountain, my pellets should be here today!

Of the ones you listed, I have only used B&B. cooked good but i notices a significant amount of ash build up after cooking with them. I started going with cooking pellets and have been very pleased.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back