Grilling Notes: Sunday Pizza on the Bullseye - 3 January 2021

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
....One could understandably scoff at my contention that a whole scale Cable/Internet/Phone service outage would impact a a simple pizza cook on the Bullseye.......I would.....but hear me out.......one of the down sides of living where we do is, when you lose some infrastructures (electricity, water, cable/broadband, etc.) you BETTER have a backup, in this case I did, but chose not to use it - THAT is a hit on me......so sometime around 15:30'ish Sunday, we lose our Suddenlink - they are our Cable/Broadband/Phone provider. I keep my "Grilling Notes" on a cloud based capability called "Evernote". Generally speaking, cloud services are great, unless of course you can't get to it......So I tell the wife, I don't remember how long we cooked the pizza on the Bullseye back in Nov......she say's don't worry, I remember the temp was 400 (actually it was 450, but in this case, the 400 setting saved us for a total catastrophe....), we'll check it at 15 min........I say's "good", so I dutifully set my watch for a 15 min alarm..........That was probably ~ 4-5 min TOO LONG......

NOTE: Our experience with Suddenlink where is live is generally pretty good, a total system outage like we experienced on Sunday is a rare occurrence. We have a lot of folks in our neighborhood that like to bash them, but I've found most user issues with the Suddenlink service are user issues associated with a general lack of understanding of how to operate/manage a LAN.......OK, off THAT Soapbox.......
  • Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W
  • Weather at time of Grill: Clear late afternoon, almost no breeze, 57F Humidity 51%., ~10 Mph wind directly out of the South.
  • Total Grill Time: ~44 Min (16:26 - 17:10 CST) [Grill Start to Grill Off] - includes time to do a hard reset due to an initial ER #1 Code (That was about a 6 min exercise)...
  • Total Event Time: ~62 Min (Prep time + Grill Time) - does NOT include time spent making the dough in the bread maker
  • Grill Plates: N/A
  • Temp Probes: N/A
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Item Grilled: Homemade Pizza (Ham & Pineapple)
    • ~14” Thin Crust (homemade dough & sauce, w/sausage, onion, bell peppers, & Mozzarella Cheese).
    • Total Pizza Prep Time: ~10 min (does not include making the dough)
    • Total Pizza Grill Time: ~15 min (~16:53 - 17:08 CST) : NOTE This was too long, we should have checked and pulled the Pizza at 10~11 min, so we ended up with some "extra crispy" edges, BUT it was edible and not too bad!

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CST
  • Grill Start to Target Temp 400F: 64F to 400F *~ 24 min (16:26 - 16:50) NOTE: Initial Start produced an error code #1, so being a good engineer, I executed a reset of the ON/OFF button which cleared the error and started the grill with no problems......
  • Pizza placed on a 15” Pizza Stone (Pampered Chef Classic Collection), parchment paper between dough & stone - On the grill at 16:53 CST

General Comments:

• So every grilling event you can walk away from is a good grilling event......right? <grin>
  • Believe it or not, even though we clearly left this Pizza on about 5 min too long, it was both edible and pretty tasty.
  • I'm going to export my Grilling Notes to OneNote so in the event of an unplanned and ill timed infrastructure outage, I can access them to help me remember how long it took to cook the Pizza last time.......
  • As many have already pointed out, the Bullseye is a GREAT Pizza oven, not sure I'll ever cook a pizza inside again...
  • OBTW, Happy New Year! Hope you all have a safe, healthy, and productive 2021.

Attachments

• Topping the Pizza 20210103.jpeg
    Topping the Pizza 20210103.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 246
  • Pizza Topped and Ready for Grill 20210103.jpeg
    Pizza Topped and Ready for Grill 20210103.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 103
  • Grill and Grill Helper 20210103.jpeg
    Grill and Grill Helper 20210103.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • Sunset Across Whiskey Cove 20210103.jpeg
    Sunset Across Whiskey Cove 20210103.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 103
  • Pizza on the Grill 20210103.jpeg
    Pizza on the Grill 20210103.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 117
  • Pizze Past Ready for Removal 20210103.jpeg
    Pizze Past Ready for Removal 20210103.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • Burnt Pizza Ready to be Cut 20210103.jpeg
    Burnt Pizza Ready to be Cut 20210103.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • Plated Overcooked Pizza 20210103.jpeg
    Plated Overcooked Pizza 20210103.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 113
I love burnt crust ends.. I always ask the pizzero pie makers to cook it extra and they never do. I guess it is like asking for a well done steak in France?

Love.. Love.. Love your views. Not sure if that glass with a smooth looking cocktail sitting on the Bullseye is better or the view of the lake at sundown with the pontoon having a big old grin on her face. Oh heck.. I guess they go together along with the pizza!! Like ya died and gone to heaven.

Please post more.. love it all. Living my dream.

Looks like you took it to the edge @Sscottfitz, but not over it. Looks like a delicious pizza. I agree there is no need to cook it inside again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back