Trailblazer Grilling Notes: Spatch-Cocked, Buttermilk & Spices Brined Chicken Tuesday (Smoked) - 23 March 2021

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
This is quickly becoming our most favorite method for cooking chicken on the Trailblazer

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - a little breezy, yet sunny early Spring day here in the Ouachita Mountains.
  • Weather at time of Grill: Sunny skies, ~medium breeze from the West (~8~10 mph), Temp ~68F, Humidity 52%
  • Total Grill Time: ~1 Hr. 49 Min (15:00 -16:49 CDT)
  • Total Event Time: ~2 Hr (Day of serving, doesn't include Spatchcocking the Chicken, seasoning, or brining which was an overnight ~24 hr thingee).
  • Grill Plates: No
  • Grill Matt: Yes This is a perfect application for the Grill Matt!
  • Temp Probes: Yes x 1 for the higher heat portion of the cook
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 1 ea. small whole “young” chicken - ~6.lbs'ish - Walmart off Hwy 7 (just outside Hot Springs Village).
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~24 hrs to brine in the refrigerator, 2~3 min, Light coating of olive oil and some Italian Parsley.
    • Meat on at ~15:15 CDT, Smoked for ~30 min (15:15 - 15:45 CDT), Cooked for another 58 min to get it up to ~165 F target temp.
      • Chicken temp at the end of smoking period was ~68 F
  • Sides:
    • Roasted Veggie Mix (Onions, Zucchini, & Peppers), seasoned with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Italian Parsley, & Italian Seasoning - Oven Roasted at (350 F)
    • Risotto - prepared with Butter, Olive Oil, Red Onions, White Wine, Salt & Pepper (Skillet cooked on the Range)

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • Grill configured with the Spatchcocked Chicken on a Grill Mat, everything else was using the OEM provided components.
  • Grill Start to Target Temp Smoke: 79 F to Smoke 180 F ~8 min (15:00: - 15:08 CDT)
  • Grill Smoke Setting (180 F) to 375 F: ~14 min (15:45 - 15:59 CDT)
  • Grill set to 375 F to get Chicken temps up to 165 - temp probe introduced during this portion of the cook - temp probe set in one of the breasts

General Comments:

• ~4th time we've done this cook on the Trailblazer - we've done one on the Bullseye, but I prefer the Trailblazer since I can remotely monitor temps from my study while I'm otherwise engaged in "Study Lolly-gaging Activities"....(I'm an unmatched expert at "Lolly-gaging in my Study".....)
  • Highly recommend the "Buttermilk Brine", it makes for a quite tasty chicken!

Attachments

• Chicken in the Brine Bag 20210323.jpeg
    Chicken in the Brine Bag 20210323.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 200
  • Seasoned Chicken Ready for Smoker 20210323.jpeg
    Seasoned Chicken Ready for Smoker 20210323.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • Veggie Mix Ready for Roasting 20210323.jpeg
    Veggie Mix Ready for Roasting 20210323.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 113
  • Smoking Trailblazer 20210323.jpeg
    Smoking Trailblazer 20210323.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 101
  • Chicken Transition from Smoking to Cooking 20210323.jpeg
    Chicken Transition from Smoking to Cooking 20210323.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • Ready for Removal 20210323.jpeg
    Ready for Removal 20210323.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Chicken Cooked and Risotto Cooking 20210323.jpeg
    Chicken Cooked and Risotto Cooking 20210323.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
  • Sliced Chicken Ready for Plating 1 - 20210323.jpeg
    Sliced Chicken Ready for Plating 1 - 20210323.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 117
  • Plated Chicken 20210323.jpeg
    Plated Chicken 20210323.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 95
  • Close Up Plated Chicken 20210323.jpeg
    Close Up Plated Chicken 20210323.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
Looks good! My wife now loves spatchcocked chicken, although my chicken breasts last weekend were awesome!
Quick question, I brined some chicken a week or two ago, using I think 1/2 cup of salt and same of sugar, what did you use to brine?
My first Spatchcock was good, but look jaundiced! Yours looks great, I will follow this weekend when I cook!
I think cooking on the bullseye.

Looks good! My wife now loves spatchcocked chicken, although my chicken breasts last weekend were awesome!
Quick question, I brined some chicken a week or two ago, using I think 1/2 cup of salt and same of sugar, what did you use to brine?
My first Spatchcock was good, but look jaundiced! Yours looks great, I will follow this weekend when I cook!
I think cooking on the bullseye.
Pops, it was a Buttermilk brine that we've not used before, but it WILL be used again in the future. The master chef got it off of Pinterest, so I'll post the link in this message, if you can't get to it, let me know, and I'll pull the brine text out of the recipe and sent that as simple text. OBTW, this brine could be used on any cut of chicken or turkey, I suspect we'll use it in November for Thanksgiving....

That looks delicious. When you change temps do you leave the chicken on the grill and let it ride up with the temperature?
Yes, for chicken. No for when I'm doing a reverse sear (sp?) for a steak, then I do the smoking & warm up on the Trailblazer, then get the Bullseye up to the sear temp with the Grill Grates on it, and do the final high temp searing in the Bullseye, but again, that is a red meat steak discussion vice a chicken discussion......<grin>

@Sscottfitz ,Showed this to my wife today and she told me that I am cooking that this weekend!!!
She asked for the recipe to make sure we had all of the ingredients!!!!:D

Just really happy she is enjoying my grilling again!

@Sscottfitz ,Showed this to my wife today and she told me that I am cooking that this weekend!!!
She asked for the recipe to make sure we had all of the ingredients!!!!:D

Just really happy she is enjoying my grilling again!
Cool, hope your forecasted weather is better than ours, we're about to get back into the normal Arkansas "unsettled" Spring weather, which always impacts my outside cooking a little...... Good luck with the Chicken, looking forward to hear how it comes out!

Cool, hope your forecasted weather is better than ours, we're about to get back into the normal Arkansas "unsettled" Spring weather, which always impacts my outside cooking a little...... Good luck with the Chicken, looking forward to hear how it comes out!

Yeah, not sure. Supposed to be bad Saturday. Might miss my little grandaugters T ball game bummer! Y'all be careful out there and stay safe! I have not given alot of thought about the weather, but it does matter. I will post! Thanks again!

@Sscottfitz OK, cooking this tomorrow! Did you cook this bone side down the entire time? I have seen some recipes that say cook breast down first for a short time, but this looks delicious. Tried this once with boneless skinless chicken breasts. It was OK, but nothing like this. I got a small whole chicken, so trying that. Believe it or not I am having a hard time finding regular Buttermilk, all Publix has is reduced fat! I will venture out shortly and procure!

@Sscottfitz OK, cooking this tomorrow! Did you cook this bone side down the entire time? I have seen some recipes that say cook breast down first for a short time, but this looks delicious. Tried this once with boneless skinless chicken breasts. It was OK, but nothing like this. I got a small whole chicken, so trying that. Believe it or not I am having a hard time finding regular Buttermilk, all Publix has is reduced fat! I will venture out shortly and procure!
Pops. we did NOT flip the chicken, so chicken was "on it's back" (as pictured) for the entire cook. Also note, because of the relatively low temp we just kept it on the Grill Matt (if you have one), it isn't required, but we think it makes handling the chicken on/off the grill easier. Let us know how it comes out, looking forward to hearing about the cook. ACTUALLY, we're planning to try another one next week with a "Alabama White Sauce" marinade.......more to follow on that one. Best of luck on the cook!

Cooked this yesterday with very interesting results!

I followed @Sscottfitz instructions EXACTLY and I yielded the same results, I think that is impressive and encouraging!

I mean all times and temps were exactly as he posted!

I did not take the best photos as he, but I am working on that.

The chicken was super moist! (my wife's words not mine, which you all know is gold)
Sides, were green beans, potato salad and beets. Simple country folk! (and we had in fridge!)

Attachments

• IMG_3551 3.jpg
    IMG_3551 3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3556 2.jpg
    IMG_3556 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64
Cooked this yesterday with very interesting results!

I followed @Sscottfitz instructions EXACTLY and I yielded the same results, I think that is impressive and encouraging!

I mean all times and temps were exactly as he posted!

I did not take the best photos as he, but I am working on that.

The chicken was super moist! (my wife's words not mine, which you all know is gold)
Sides, were green beans, potato salad and beets. Simple country folk! (and we had in fridge!)
Pops, thanks for the comments, and I'm glad my notes were consistent and worked for you guys. I think your pics were great! OBTW, the "master chef" picked up another whole chicken today (between rain storms....) and we're planning to try a very similar cook sometime this week (weather permitting), but we're gonna use an "Alabama White Sauce" for both the marinade and an a post cook sauce....... Thanks again for sharing your experiences - I think it's one of the things that give's this site value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back